logo
Old 09-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by bullardrm
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
377 Posts
Discussion
Cowl Baffling

I am setting up a new airplane. The motor is a DA-170. I am trying to fabricate some ducking using foam board. My first attempt looks TERRABLE. Is there any other workable material that would work better?
bullardrm is offline Find More Posts by bullardrm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-02-2020, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
I had many questions around baffling. Lots of ideas and materials on the following thread:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...es#post2984745
GR8R8 is offline Find More Posts by GR8R8
Old 09-03-2020, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
I use balsa and 1/64 or 1/32" aircraft ply. I just take my time, and make things fit snug to the cylinders. Any commonly, 1 pc cowls are notoriously more difficult to baffle than a 2 pc, due to all the times you have to remove and reinstall the cowl.

First flight on the G200 airframe with my baffle set up, the cylinders come down ICE COLD. Of course, I was pretty rich on the ground, and it drank 32 oz of fuel in about 8 mins. So, subsquent flights later, total of 6 now, the engine is running well, and it does not come down hot, at all.

The 2nd pic is of a 2 pc cowl, the early stages. Its alot easier to to get my bottom plate where I want it in relation to the cylinder. What that means is, I want to have my air, act like a ram air system. I want to funnel the air, and force the air thru the fins. Aluminum is a wonderful heat sink. So, the more velocity of air you can move over the fins, the better the heat extraction. Atleast thats how my mind thinks it works. Opinions vary on that.

3rd pic is a round baffle. Its made of a TP roll. Its the right size for the inlet. I just cut a slight angle on one end, and rotated it until I go my desired alignment. I havent tried it yet. But I like to use stuff I have, before I spent $$ on premade stuff. Not that doing that is wrong. Im a modeler, and its in my nature to tinker and build stuff for these airplanes.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 09-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by jimfergie
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Mar 2016
98 Posts
baffles

I made a couple with the lost foam method. Actually really easy. Cut and sand/ shape styrofoam blocks to fit the cowl and fin shape. Epoxy/ fiberglass the outside. Acetone on the foam dissolves it. Sand to fit, painted black and Goop to the cowl. They work great, look good and haven't fallen off!
jimfergie is offline Find More Posts by jimfergie

Quick Reply