logo
Old 04-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
Not enough to stop flying.

But i also enjoy pattern contests. A different group of people than imac, but still great folks to spend time with.

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by Mustangherb
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
I love pattern planes, but would love to see more of the new style with good old glow power. Not all of us are big fans of electric.
Mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by Mustangherb
Old 04-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Team JR Propo
Antarctica
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Can't beat reliability of electric these days.
Surfer Dude is offline Find More Posts by Surfer Dude
Old 04-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Mustangherb
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
I know that you are correct, but just call me old fashion. Most of my electric planes sit idle. Although, I must admit that the Osiris that I use to have with an A30 hacker was one great flying plane!
Mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by Mustangherb
Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangherb View Post
I love pattern planes, but would love to see more of the new style with good old glow power. Not all of us are big fans of electric.
Agreed - but not just glow - gasoline could work as well. I have a 72" AJ Laser with a DA 35/canister setup that came in under 10 lbs, has unreal vertical, and will likely be flown in a pattern contest real soon. No reason a 2M ship couldn't be set up the same. hint hint hint...
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
Yeah, would love a da35 setup pattern plane!

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 04-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Dude View Post
Can't beat reliability of electric these days.
Hey look what won worlds... That YS170 CDI Is probably just as if not more reliable than gas... That thing is epic
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
Hey look what won worlds... That YS170 CDI Is probably just as if not more reliable than gas... That thing is epic

Cool motor, but complex and expensive to operate. DA 35, simple, and inexpensive to operate. Either way, you aren't waiting for batteries to charge.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
The thing about electric is it allows you to build the model using different techniques and the keep the airframe lighter because you do not have to worry about the vibration of a glow or gas engine. The other thing when it comes to pattern is noise. Most of the guys running the YS 185's at the worlds are severely limiting their throttle so they can be under the requirements for db.
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Y View Post
The thing about electric is it allows you to build the model using different techniques and the keep the airframe lighter because you do not have to worry about the vibration of a glow or gas engine. The other thing when it comes to pattern is noise. Most of the guys running the YS 185's at the worlds are severely limiting their throttle so they can be under the requirements for db.
Not 100% sure if I agree with the noise statement... Archie Stafford is the president of our club and flys FAI pattern I have flown his YS powered monster and if the throttle is limited at all he never needed that much anyway... Also it is just as quite as the electrics... Just a wisper and some prop noise... And same exact weight as his 10s powered galactic
Old 04-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jan 2006
148 Posts
I was able to fly one of these a few weeks ago and it was a great flying airframe. You guys are going to be very happy with these new pattern models from AJ.
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Drac
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
Cool motor, but 1. complex and expensive to operate. DA 35, simple, and inexpensive to operate. 2. Either way, you aren't waiting for batteries to charge.
1. Incorrect on both points.

2. Correct.
Drac is offline Find More Posts by Drac
Old 04-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by Drac
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
The 185 CDI is the current engine.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Drac
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Y View Post
Severely, Really? I know when running the 20.5 x 10, (which is a 175 prop), that ATV is limited a bit, but "severely' is a bit of an exaggeration. We don't need to use all of the YS Power anyway, so it doesn't really affect anything.

I've seen electrics fail noise tests.

Going to the larger 21" props that are designed or the 185, would remove the need for ATV limiting. My 185 CDI's dropped 400RPM with the 21" props, which makes a considerable difference to noise, but gives much better performance.

Electric guys are limiting maximum power, (which is essentially the same as limiting ATV on YS's), so they can get through the schedule without running out of battery. YS doesn't lose power as the fuel is consumed either. Performance actually increases because the plane gets lighter as the fuel is used.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Severely, Really? I know when running the 20.5 x 10, (which is a 175 prop), that ATV is limited a bit, but "severely' is a bit of an exaggeration. We don't need to use all of the YS Power anyway, so it doesn't really affect anything.

I've seen electrics fail noise tests.

Going to the larger 21" props that are designed or the 185, would remove the need for ATV limiting. My 185 CDI's dropped 400RPM with the 21" props, which makes a considerable difference to noise, but gives much better performance.

Electric guys are limiting maximum power, (which is essentially the same as limiting ATV on YS's), so they can get through the schedule without running out of battery. YS doesn't lose power as the fuel is consumed either. Performance actually increases because the plane gets lighter as the fuel is used.
+1!

Flew Archie's and talked to him a lot and I am amazed at how lean you can run that engine!! And how reliable! Just fuel and fly... No need for a run up and tune just go

Quick Reply