logo
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
3D Farmer 4 Life
United States, NC, Elm City
Joined Jun 2010
1,328 Posts
I just found this thread. I do believe I am going to buy one of these as well. I just helped a buddy finish a 40% Hempel clipped wing cub - and I have to get one now.. I think the L-4 is a little different, and it sure looks great. Planning on the DA 50 in mine, because that's what I have laying around. I would like to use the Hitec 5685 digital HV servos so I can run unregulated 7.4v on it. Is that enough torque for the surfaces?
GravyGoodness is offline Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
Last edited by GravyGoodness; 02-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by nefarious
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
Hows the build going?
Good! Didn't get anything done this weekend as I was camping with a bunch friends from our club. We go out to a dry lake bed near El Centro and fly our asses off. I burned through 1/2 gal of gas in my DLE20 powered Pulse125...that equates to nearly 4.5hrs of flight time. We also maidened a B29 powered by 4 G26's.

Anyway, got one wing done & skim coat of epoxy on the firewall. Gotta pick up some heavier gauge wiring to lengthen the elev & ail servo leads. I like to limit myself to no more than one extension per servo. For the cost of one good quality servo extension I can buy the wire to do all four.
nefarious is offline Find More Posts by nefarious
Last edited by nefarious; 02-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Came across my first complaint regarding this otherwise beautiful plane. The aileron servo placement is such that I will have to remove the wing struts from both the fuse & wing to fit them in wing bags for transportation.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyGoodness View Post
I just found this thread. I do believe I am going to buy one of these as well. I just helped a buddy finish a 40% Hempel clipped wing cub - and I have to get one now.. I think the L-4 is a little different, and it sure looks great. Planning on the DA 50 in mine, because that's what I have laying around. I would like to use the Hitec 5685 digital HV servos so I can run unregulated 7.4v on it. Is that enough torque for the surfaces?

If Bill would make a Super Cub variant I would have one in a heartbeat. I want something different with some big baloon tires and the AW Sport Cub is just more than I want to spend.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious View Post
Came across my first complaint regarding this otherwise beautiful plane. The aileron servo placement is such that I will have to remove the wing struts from both the fuse & wing to fit them in wing bags for transportation.
Prior to posting this I sent the pics to Bill and I just received word back from him. He just discovered this problem and is making changes to rectify this in future kits.

As for me, I guess I'll have to come up with some sort of quick release setup because removing/installing 10 bolts for setup & transportation is a little time consuming. Off to McMaster I go.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Made a little headway today. Got the elevator servos mounted with arms & ball links, epoxied the elevators & rudder in place, got the control horns mounted on the tail surfaces and both wings completed minus control horns... And here's where it gets interesting/frustrating;
Because of the previously posted issue with the servo location in relation to the wing struts I must install the servo arms facing the fuse rather than the wing tip as designed. No big deal right... Wrong! The hard mount for the aileron control horns is located further outboard since the servo arms are meant to point outward. In discussing this issue with Bill I am left with two options:
1. use a 3/4" arm instead of the 1" arm's I already purchase AND use a clevis on the servo arm instead of a ball link. Bill thinks this will work but hasn't confirmed it.
2. Install a new hard mount in the new location.

I've decided to go with #2. I'm going to use a piece of 1/2" copper pipe sharpened on the inner diameter to drill a hole in the aileron in which I will epoxy a hard wood dowel in place for my new hard mount. the HD Dubro control horns I'm using have a .628" diameter base so the wooden dowel will be hidden once the control horns are installed.
Bill has asked me to document my aileron modifications for other early adopters so when I do the mods I'll post pics here.

Lastly, I still haven't decided on a switch for this plane. I'm running a single 3000mAh LIFE pack and would like deans into the switch an two Rx plugs out to my receiver. I'm thinking a Badger may be the way to go. Thoughts?
Last edited by nefarious; 02-28-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by mighty9
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
I would be no help there as i just use standard switches in my 1/4 scale stuff. Im sure the badger is a good idea. I looked and your servo location is different than my clipped wing. How do you like your servos?
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by joebob2
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Jan 2006
340 Posts
I've used the SmartFly Super Switch with good results. It includes the deans on one side and two receiver plugs on the other.
joebob2 is offline Find More Posts by joebob2
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
I would be no help there as i just use standard switches in my 1/4 scale stuff. Im sure the badger is a good idea. I looked and your servo location is different than my clipped wing. How do you like your servos?
Yeah, my guess is they added a wing bay to make it full span and move the strut mounting points inward due to the added bay but didn't consider servo location. If you look at the aileron in relation to the servo you'll see the servo is in the same spot. Oh well it is what it is.

As for the servos, they seem to be slightly longer than most standard servos as I've had to modify every mounting hole to get them to fit. Other than that they've all taken the Futaba arms which I was worried about as I read a few posts where guys had 1501MG's that did not have Futaba splines.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Sucks about those servos . Ill probably just sell mine then and use my hitecs or put them in a plane that doesnt have the sunken servo bays. By longer you mean distance at the top of the servo ?Or do you mean depth?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Sucks about those servos . Ill probably just sell mine then and use my hitecs or put them in a plane that doesnt have the sunken servo bays. By longer you mean distance at the top of the servo ?Or do you mean depth?
No, not depth and it's wasn't a huge difference. All I had to do was take an emery stick and sand one edge a little. I'll get some pics.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Here's a couple pics:
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Awesome i thought you meant the pockets in the wings. For what its worth i shortened the plastic part of the control horn so its close to the hinge line center.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
3D Farmer 4 Life
United States, NC, Elm City
Joined Jun 2010
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious View Post
Here's a couple pics:
Are the rod ends and control horns you show in your pics coming with the plane, or is it something you are adding to it?
GravyGoodness is offline Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyGoodness View Post
Are the rod ends and control horns you show in your pics coming with the plane, or is it something you are adding to it?
No they are the Dubro .91+ control horns. No hardware other than flying wires comes with this plane. Bill figures why jack up the price to include cheap Chinese hardware that most are going to replace anyway.

Quick Reply