Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts
Re: 2008 written sequences

Quote:
Originally Posted by T BYRD View Post
Tony,

This is an example of the 2005 unlimited unknown at the regionals. I couldnt find the aresti or I would have posted that as well. I just wanted to see if people wanted me to write out sequences for the upcoming year.

Ok, I like your written discriptions. We are not always guarenteed that we get to use our regular caller.
Rolling Thunder is online now Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I wish.

Nedly Mandiko.

Only six week until Bubbapaluzza, starring Ned!
Rolling Thunder is online now Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts

Dammit!
Are you going?

Did you hear Ned's Rider for Bubbapalooza?
I couldnt stop laughing.
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne
Old 10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Trent, Do the intermediate. It seems that you and I think alike. Would be intersting to see if you worded it exactly the same, lol!
One thing that I did, though, is I wrote the description next to the aresti diagram, so I/the caller have/has both handy right there.
Good stuff.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T BYRD View Post
Not sure why you are out to argue my idea. We as pilots CAN NOT LOOK AT THE SEQUENCE WHILE WE FLY. We rely on someone to hopefully know what everything is and to say for example "hammerhead" instead of "stall turn".

I wanted to put my views on here and show others there is another way to skin a cat. People do things differently than others. That is all I am trying to show here.
Re-read the first sentence of my last post. It works for you and that is great. I think you got your point across. And as you say, people do things differently. Sorry if you thought I was arguing against your use of written narratives.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnippen View Post
I was Judging the Unknown Advanced at our Regionals and two pilots in a row ended up flying the wrong way half way through the sequence. The callers couldn't help because they were calling off of what the Pilots had written and couldn't even follow the sequence because they were to busy reading. I was compelled to say stop! Your flying the in the wrong direction. Most of us call off the Aristi with a minimum of notes. Easy for the Pilot and sometimes new caller you have to round up to call for you.
My point exactly. And for those that say their callers cannot read Aresti, well especially at Advanced and above I cannot understand how pilots at that level would even use a caller who cannot read Aresti.

Aresti is easy to learn and fun once you know it. And even though there are many for whom written out verbiage works OK for, it is undeniable that using Aresti is faster and more accurate and less likely to cause a problem IF the caller can read it properly.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by mlstoner
Joined Jun 2007
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
My point exactly. And for those that say their callers cannot read Aresti, well especially at Advanced and above I cannot understand how pilots at that level would even use a caller who cannot read Aresti.
Couldn't agree more. In my 12 years of flying IMAC there's one particular aspect that really makes me smile - and that is the fact that we will spend BIG bucks to get just the right airframe with just the right engine and make it just the weight for great performance and by doing so, assure ourselves that we have the supreme competitive edge. And then we won't bother to learn to sight-read Aresti?

Kind of puzzling eh?
mlstoner is offline Find More Posts by mlstoner
Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts

Having the sequence written out is a great tool to refer to for people who are learning, or have just recently learned, to read Aresti. Keep up the great work T, if nothing else you are helping the new guys (and some of the old guys) get a handle on reading Aresti.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by crhammond
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
979 Posts

I agree that reading arresti is the right way to go. However, in my part of the NW region (Alberta and BC, Canada) we are just starting out. We are all keen, but there are not many of us yet, no mentors locally and a lot of newbies helping out.

I ran 3 boot camps this year and judging seminars the mornings of the event. Most of the judges had pattern experience. There was HUGE resistance to arresti from those who were not yet hooked on IMAC.

I would like to see IMAC produce written descriptions simply because they will be accurate. Especially for the unknowns.
Here is an example. Last season at my event we were asked by the judges to write out the Sportsman unknown. Simply because the 2 volunteer judges (pattern guys) could not read arresti. So we did. And we had 3 people check them. We wrote one manuver out wrong (of course we read it right – we just wrote it down wrong... go figure.) One pilot flew it correctly to the arresti and pointed out to the judges the written sheet was wrong when they tried to 0 him. So everyone who flew it correctly to the judges written sheet was 0’ed. It would have been nice to have had an accurate written description from IMAC on that day. And it probably doesn’t apply to established contests I know – but for those of us with lots of newbies and volunteers helping us get going over the next few years it would help more than hurt. My 2c.
crhammond is offline Find More Posts by crhammond
Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
United States, FL, Windermere
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

Trent,

In another thread, you offered to write up the sequence if any one wanted to see it. I am relatively new to IMAC (I have particpiated in 6 contrests all this year) but I can read aresti. I chose to look at the aresti and write down my version of it. I found this helpful first of all for me to start getting the sequence and more importantly until I memorize it if I need someoine at the field to call it for me and he can't read Aresti, he could still call. I did the Sportsman and would find it helpful if you also did it already to post it here or I could post what I did and anyone can look at and either agree or tell me where it is wrong. 2 heads are always better than one. Looking forward to seeing your write up.

Tony Bonanno
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by T BYRD
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts

Judge, no hard feelings here. Just seemed like you thought I was wasting my time.

Like I said in my very first sentence, I am not here to say one way is right or wrong. I am just showing another way to do it.

I agree that aresti should be the norm as we are following IAC which uses aresti only. But I see there are many that would like to see it written out to get started.

I will continue with the rest of the sequences over the weekend and get them posted as soon as I can. I will post my version first and then you guys can disect them and or add to them. I would like feedback to see what the majority of people like to see and we can go from there.

I hope this isnt wasting time and I think their are enough people that might benefit from it.
T BYRD is offline Find More Posts by T BYRD
Old 10-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
United States, FL, Windermere
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

TRent,

As I stated earlier, I wrote mine out for Sportsman and welcome seeing yours.

Tony
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by Grandpa
Flyin' Around
AJ AZ
Joined May 2006
8 Posts

I HAVE to write it out so that my wife can read it to me. And I have to make it short enough that she can read it before the manouver is over! hehe
Grandpa
AKA
Dave
Grandpa is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa
Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by prizzy
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

I like to have my wife call also grandpa, and the written sequences are a must. I consider it a date when we fly... She had a different view though.
prizzy is offline Find More Posts by prizzy
Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by mflander
How much did that thing cost?
Elk River, MN
Joined Oct 2007
954 Posts

If my wife called, she would critique my maneuvers in the middle of a judged sequence, and then we would begin bickering, and pretty soon I would have to ask a judge to hold my radio so we can take this discussion somewhere else.... ugh. In all seriousness though, I envy you guys that have wives that are willing to do that, my wife flat out refuses because she is too afraid to screw up... I keep telling her it doesn't matter, but she won't do it.
mflander is offline Find More Posts by mflander

Quick Reply