logo
This thread is privately moderated by saranrick, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by saranrick
United States, IL, Collinsville
Joined Dec 2006
87 Posts
A little insight as to a distributors Products and their Product Support

Many people in the past have posted their comments and in most cases their dislikes about a manufactures particular product and possibly the responses received from the Product Support for that same company. Some people have even left their favorite manufacturer because of some situations.

Having worked Product Support for 2 years and Futaba Product Support for Hobbico/Great Planes, I have been on the receiving end of the phone calls some of you have made. There is a reason I don't want to work Product Support anymore. I also have friends who work for Horizon Hobby product support and from what I hear they have the same situations, but I must admit the majority of what I am saying is from the Hobbico/Great Planes/Futaba point of view.

So I thought I would share a little insight as to why you get the responses you get and what you can do to help your situation if you do ever run into a mishap. I also thought I would give a little information as to why you may have received product that has been, lets just say less than expected.

Let's start with the receiving of a Product that is less than satisfactory.

In most cases when you recieve a product if there has been a problem it is usually missing pieces, covering is badly wrinkled, or you have received damaged product.

The missing pieces in 99% of the cases is the actual assembly plant not the Distributors.
If you call the product support for that particular distributor, in some cases you will be able to have a part sent to you without question, but don't be surprised if they ask you for proof of purchase. They need this proof of purchase just to show you are not trying to pull the wool over their eyes.
I can't tell you how many people have tried this with me. They slipped through in a couple of cases but all manufactures keep records and will catch you very quickly.
When you report the missing pieces they keep records just in case this is a common occurance and will rectify the situation immediately and try to contact all those who have bought the product.

Broken parts or Covering wrinkles.
Folks you must realize that most aircraft are assembled overseas. The planes have to traveled from Assembly Plant to Dock then travel by container overseas to the US docks then by truck to Distributor and eventually from Distributor through FED EX, UPS or what have you to your doorstep.
There is no telling how many tempeture changes which can cause your wrinkling, or how many people have handled the boxes that could damage your product. And no offense if the covering is just a little wrinkled and you don't own an iron in this hobby, c'mon, I would have to strongly recommend one.
So when you receive your box damage please don't automatically call with a pissed off attitude and yell at them for something you think is their fault. Trust me it won't get you anywhere. As a matter of fact it will hurt your situation because they can just not accept your call.
Just call the product support for the product. Let them know the condition you have received your item in. They will do everything they can to help you. The bad part is, they may ask you to ship the item back in. I admit this sucks because shipping isn't cheap for any size airplane, but you can ask them to check out the airplane before shipping to make sure when it left them it was in good shape. This doesn't mean you will receive it in good shape but you know it isn't their fault.

The Radio Systems and Problems

Let's say you have just bought a new radio like the new 2.4 ghz systems. You just lost reception to your aircraft and the plane has crashed. Your first thought Da** you next is probably I am going to make them pay for this plane. Those are the calls we got while the person is still at the field and wants PS to replace them immediately. Electronics and all.

Folks this is a heart breaker but when you call the radio support line, even if it was the fault of the servo, receiver or radio, and again this sucks, they are only responsible for the radio, receiver, or servos and will only replace the radio, receiver or servo's.
You may have lost that $5000 plane but only the electronics are covered by the radio.
Another bad thing.
JR only covers JR They also only guarantee JR will work with JR
The same is with Futaba, it only is guarantees Futaba will work with Futaba.
My point here is that if you are using Futaba tx and rx, then using JR servo's and your plane crashes they are not responsible because they do not cover the use of other manufactures equipment. Futaba is not made to work with JR or Hitec.
You might get lucky and get a receiver but that would be all at most.
BUT IN 99% OF CASES YOU NEED TO SEND IN THE RADIO EQUIPMENT ALONG WITH A COPY OF YOUR RECEIPT. THEY WILL NOT REPLACE ANYTHING JUST FROM A PHONE CALL.

Let's say you believe the crash is due to radio equipment malfunction.

Send your radio to the manufacturer with as much information as to the setup of your aircraft, what area you are flying in, etc... If you took pictures of the inside of your aircraft before flight send those also. If you were video taping the flight with the crash include a copy of this so they can see the situation.
The radio tech's need to look at all the electronics involved including the radio so they can run your radio equipment through vigorous testing to see if there is a problem and if there is where they need to make repairs. In some few cases they even go as far as to test fly the equipment.
But you must realize and learn to accept that in a lot of cases it is not the equipment that is the problem but the setup of the equipment or maybe even your battery being bad or too low of a voltage.
Some radio's don't do well with composite materials, some don't do well with antenna's on the inside of the aircraft. You put a different antenna on your radio or receiver not made by that manufacturer for your jet or small airplane. Guess what, you just voided your warranty when you made that modification. Any modification to any radio equipment automatically VOIDS your warranty with any manufacturer. My advice don't cut your antenna's or try to solder one on if you don't know what you are doing.
Another piece of advice would be don't use a micro receiver for large scale aircraft because it is light and you only need 4 channels.

The Radio Support teams are there to help in any way possible, but when they can't find a problem, 98% of the time there isn't a problem with the radio equipment.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ALWAYS DO A RANGE CHECK AND TEST YOUR BATTERIES IN THE PLANE BEFORE FLYING.
I DON'T CARE HOW GOOD YOU ARE, HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN FLYING THAT PLANE OR WHAT BRAND YOUR BATT. OR EQUIPMENT IS .
I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MAY TIMES AN AIRCRAFT COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED WITH A QUICK RANGE CHECK.
When you see me at the flying field or an IMAC competition I am about the only one doing a range check. I have yet to lose a plane to radio failure, but I can't say that for about 2 planes I have seen and who knows how many I haven't seen.
Also the first question asked by the Radio Support Tech will be "Did you do a range check before you started flying?" And 99% of you lie and say "Yes" but when we test that battery or look at that receiver they know better.

Let's move on to Aircraft Performance.

When people buy an airplane they automatically expect an airplane to fly to perfection like they see on the web site video's or the team pilots that fly at the field.
I myself have felt misled because I watch someone fly the plane to perfection and when I fly the plane it fly's badly.
Here are a few things I have learned cause these so to say lousy flying characteristics.

1. Know what type of airplane you are buying and don't expect or underestimate your aircraft.
If you buy an aerobatic aircraft and have flown a trainer or Warbird all of the time you better be ready for some different flying characteristics

2. Setup
Make sure to use the Required engine size, recommended prop for that engine, recommended servo's and NEVER FORGET TO BALANCE YOUR PLANE BOTH FROM THE CG IN THE MANUAL AND THE CG FROM SIDE TO SIDE.
In addition to the CG in the manual also get a helper and pick up the plane from the front and back and check the CG side to side to completely balance the plane. This will increase the performance of the aircraft overall. Move your battery or add weights if necessary.
... Also check the throws of your ailerons, elevator and rudder.
Make sure the ailerons are traveling the same distance
... If your aileron goes up 1/2" on the left aileron then make sure the right aileron goes up the same exact distance. The same for travel down from center.
Make sure your rudder travels the same from center in both directions and the same for the elevator.
Make sure your you set up both high and low rates according to the manual. The rates in the manual have been extensively tested for the best results. DO NOT SETUP 3D RATES UNTIL YOU ARE VERY CONFIDENT WITH YOUR FLYING SKILLS.

3. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
...Just because we bought an airplane and every component someone else has bought and setup all the radio equipment the way they have doesn't mean you can fly like they do, or that your flying style is the same as theirs.
... Folks the pilots who are hovering or so to say Huckin' their aircraft have been flying for quite sometime.
They have developed their own comfort zone with the setup they are use to. It may be the worst setup for an individual if they are new to aerobatic aircraft.
Even Justin Chi (Sorry if I mispelled you name) practices all the time to be as good as he is at such a young age.

4. Do what military call a PMCS (Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services)
Before you fly at the field make sure everything is secure, do a range check and test the voltage of your batteries. It may just save your plane.
..If your batteries are low you won't get the response out of the servo's you want.

5. Don't be afraid to ask your fellow modelers for help.
Almost everyone wants to help you learn to fly, don't be afraid to ask someone for help.
..Just don't bug them while they are concentrating or running the operations. They may be a little too busy to help you and may come across a little conceded, but they don't really mean to offend you.

Airplane quality in flying
(Sorry didn't know how else to word it)

Folks have flown around Mike McConnville(doesn't mean I know how to spell his name correctly, so I apologize if I misspelled it.) He puts a lot of time and effort to include extensive testing into his aircraft. When he gives his stamp on a plane it is more and likely a great flying airplane.

If you receive an airplane that has bad glue joints, or the cowl is cut wrong or something just isn't correct out of the box, that isn't his fault. Look at the actual assembly manufacturer for these type problems. Let Horizon Hobby know if you have run into this situation. The same if you are using an Hobbico/Great Planes product. Let their PS know.
They do everything they can to make sure you don't receive a defective product and if you do they do everything they can to rectify the situation.

As far as the quality of the aircraft. Once again you must realize different aircraft fly differently.
A Corsair doesn't fly like a Yak 54 or an Extra 260.
Also the bigger your aircraft the better they fly.
A good example is the Sukhoi. I know both Horizon Hobby and Great Planes have Sukhoi aircraft.
If they were to release the Sukhoi to exact scale, you would have your hands full trying to keep the aircraft flying stable. But with the modifications and months of R&D test flying, they both have made great flying aircraft that are stable and fun to fly.

DON'T blame or give up on an entire company if you have run into one individual that didn't give you the answer you wanted.

Well I have run on enough for now and would gladly answer any quesions I can for you.
Please note I no longer work for Hobbico/Great Planes/Futaba product support.
Also in NO WAY DO I REPRESENT ANY OF THE DISTRIBUTORS NOR AM I AFFILIATED WITH THEM.
I just know I have been around both Horizon Hobby and Hobbico/Great Planes and both have Top Quality Products. If you do run into a problem please call the product support lines and let them help you the best they can.

I apologize if this was constructed badly or seems incomplete. It's bedtime.
I am sorry if this sucks and you decided to read all of it also.
saranrick is offline Find More Posts by saranrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts
Re: A little insight as to a distributors Products and their Product Support

My eyes are bleeding......

But seriously, Great post! Thanks for taking the time to type it up!
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by zx32tt
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Apr 2006
558 Posts

I appreciate your honesty and insite saranrick. That still does not excuse Horizon Hobby for sending our 100's of H-9 Yak 54's with all sorts of quality control issues. On top of all that, a very weak, almost non existant replacement parts that are N/A for months at a time! It will be a long time, if ever that I buy a H-9 product again.
zx32tt
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Cruzin The "Blood Moon"
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Jan 2008
993 Posts

Great post.

People forget that the folks who answer the phone are human to. It's a hard job to talk to upset people all day, no matter if it's over toys, computers, airconditioning, etc.. I know from the computer world how difficult it is to keep good people in these jobs. When we call for support we need to remember to calm down, and review all the tips in this thread. Don't be emotional, stick to the facts. The person you are talking to didn't create the problem and they are the only one who is going to help you.

Now whey you are on the 3rd call and things are not happening.....It's time for a different approach, but that is not this thread.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

Thanks for letting us see a little of the other side of the phone. I personally have made calls to both companies you mention and have always had great service from both. Your comments enforce many issues that are not the problems of the distributor but the individual or manufacturer. I know that there are a lot of people out there that have a hard time admitting that the problem was caused by faulty setup or maintenance.

A couple of examples of the service I have received not mentioning brands. I had one kit that crashed during maiden. It failed due to the supplied hardware. I called to report the problem with the hardware just to make sure that the company was aware of the problem. I did not expect the plane replaced. I was told to box up the pieces and return them for evaluation. In a few days, I received a new kit. This was a 50cc sized plane and I was impressed with the company.

Another example. I was flying a plane involved in a hard crash. The crash was a result of loss of control. During the post crash, many of the components that could have resulted in the loss of control, were damaged to the point that it was impossible to determine if it might have been a switch failure or battery lead failure. Even the battery pack suffered extensive damage. I sent the entire radio in for testing. The transmitter and receiver both checked out OK. The company replaced the antennas on both. (The transmitter antenna had some small bends and the receiver antenna had been damaged in the crash) The radio was returned with no charge for the service or shipping. I still use that radio and receiver to this day without any additional problems.

I think that the main thing that we as hobbyists need to remember, take responsibility for your own actions, use some respect and common courtesy when dealing with others.....it goes a long way.
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by FENWAYFLYER
Look at this stupid thing
Smyrna,De
Joined Jan 2008
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx32tt View Post
I appreciate your honesty and insite saranrick. That still does not excuse Horizon Hobby for sending our 100's of H-9 Yak 54's with all sorts of quality control issues. On top of all that, a very weak, almost non existant replacement parts that are N/A for months at a time! It will be a long time, if ever that I buy a H-9 product again.
zx32tt

I agree, but the back ordered parts were because they had to make changes and it took time, however still no excuse. They should have done more homework.
FENWAYFLYER is offline Find More Posts by FENWAYFLYER
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by rpasznicki
Flyin on two wheels!
Perth Western Australia
Joined May 2006
476 Posts

Great info here, I am going to print this out and stick it up at the flying field. Now when I see someone having trouble with their equipment that they are not experienced or capable enough to operate and they start with the usual ranting and raving "BS" blaming this or that, I'll just tell them to have a little read of this. If they have half a brain they may just understand that maybe they are doing something wrong. I always do what I can to help those that need it or want it but for those few who don't want to listen or think that what are doing should be working because it has always worked in the past (which is usually "BS" anyways), I'll just put in my 2 cents of advice and send them on their way or just sit back and watch the carnage.
rpasznicki is offline Find More Posts by rpasznicki
Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by saranrick
United States, IL, Collinsville
Joined Dec 2006
87 Posts

If you have proof of the defect in the plane or the part, send in the part and proof.
If a plane or part has had numerous complaints, they will put the part or plane on back order to test everything.
They will do everything they can to duplicate the problems. This is why they need details of your situation. They set their equipment up to duplicate yours. This will tell them if you have made a setup error or if there is a failure in the product(s).
If it has been on back order for a very long time then more and likely they found a problem and are trying to find a solution.
Please if you have pictures, videos or others have had problems, send in a detailed letter or even a video explaining the problems at hand. You may not believe it but they do look into ALL problems. But if you just send in a broken item with no details they will just think you messed it up and are trying to get the parts replaced for free.
Even crashed planes help them to look into things like modifications made, bad glue joints...etc..

Just one other side note. If the aircraft is new then more and likely they don't have the replacement parts for a little while. I don't know why but you have probably noticed this from watching new products.

Another common thing people do and get mad when they can't get help. When you buy the plane new, look over everything and make sure all parts are there and nothing is broken. It is best to assemble your plane as soon as you can.
Make sure you keep your receipt also. A lot of people make the mistake of holding the plane over the summer until flying season is over and then over the winter go to assemble it and find parts missing or a broken part they didn't notice when they did a quick look over. Planes usually have a limited time warranty.
saranrick is offline Find More Posts by saranrick
Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Find More Posts by ScottZ
Egg Harbor,NJ
Joined Jan 2006
462 Posts

I have to say something here. In the past I have bought many planes from the BIG 2 mail order manufacturers and maybe 1 or 2 flew pretty well the rest flew pretty badly even with a top pilots endorsement. Then I started buying planes from TBM and miraculously every size Yak and Extra flew way better than any other in the past. How do you explain that after watching me fly my TOC Yak the people out at the flying field all switched to TOC and are flying much better than they previously did. It is an absolute joy to finally fly a plane with no bad flying habits! Also anything made by Chip Hyde or Wild Hare are also excellent flying planes, and I'm sure there are others out there but these are the ones I have a lot of experience with.
ScottZ is offline Find More Posts by ScottZ
Last edited by ScottZ; 04-14-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added more info

Quick Reply