logo
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts
H9 260 magazine reviews...who's right???

Okay, so Fly R/C did a review of the H9 260 in their January 06 issue. The chose to power it with the Saito 220 and kept the setup pretty simple. Popular servos were used and was equiped with a 2200mah nimh pack. No pilot, no smoke, or other bells and whistles:
Their claimed weight = 11 lbs, 7 oz.
Now, in Model Airplane News' April issue, they have a H9 260 review as well. They, too, chose the Saito 220 and the K.I.S.S. method - no bells and whistles:
Their claimed weight = 13 lbs, 10 oz.!!!
I know there are variences in the material weight, battery used, and engine mount/exhaust weight, etc, but we are talking 35 ounces difference here!
So, who's right? I guarantee you one or both of these weights are wrong...one seems too heavy and one seems too light. I am about as picky about weight as anyone can get and had been skeptical about this plane's performance at my altitude until I saw the Fly R/C review. Then MAN did theirs and I am now doubtful again.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by Stu_D
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2006
1,727 Posts
Re: H9 260 magazine reviews...who's right???

Trust what you think , all the magazines are full of CR*P . If it looks wrong , it is wrong . Put it side by side with a dave brown edge and compare . The dave brown with a Moki 180 is ok , 210 moki is good and the DA 50 is a but over the top IMHO .

Stu .
Stu_D is offline Find More Posts by Stu_D
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Joined Jan 2006
490 Posts

yah magazines are really full of crap.

I get Model airplane news and really now only like looking at the pictures. I hate reading reviews and things because everything is incredibly generic and so undrescriptive of the model they are reviewing.

If you fly once every weekend and then just think about rc planes a tiny bit, reading magazines will bore you to death.

Oh my gosh reading reviews of aerobatic planes in magazines is unbelievably boring.

All you read in the specs from a manufactur's website you get in the review and thats it.

oh I, stuck the servos in there, and engine and oh it fit well cuz it was the reccomended engine cuz of its size and the servos too, and I used 30minute epoxy and CA, oh and dont forget gluing the canopy

oh and it does everything the full size aeroplane does and it roles and loops 'nice'
and the 3d flying (even if its mentioned) is nice too.

its disgusting.
YaKs are BeSt is offline Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Joined Jan 2006
490 Posts

just look on rcu in the 3d flying forum. I started like a 50 page thread on the 260, for some odd reason I put up the first post and didnt really care bout it but it got about 1500+ replies, anyways the real info would be in there.

I think its 12lbs with a OS 1.60. Maybe 11.
YaKs are BeSt is offline Find More Posts by YaKs are BeSt
Old 02-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Thanks for the opinions. I guess the better question would be, has anyone here put a Saito 220 in this plane and got it anywhere near what Fly R/C claims for weight???
Old 02-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Cheaper than Botox
San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
786 Posts

I have flown one, but it was electric and weighed in at 14.5 pounds. That is too heavy for where you reside. Jason Shulman flew it and said it was a bit anemic as well. Seems that a Moki 1.80 would be the right motor in Phoenix. A DA would be crazy strong, which may be right for you. I can say that Jason said he flew one with a DA and it was excellent.

I will say that the plane flies excellent. No kidding on that. I have a H9 Extra 330 with a ZDZ80 on it, and the 260 almost flies as good as a 33% airplane as far as smooth and slow motion, etc.

The 260 is a wonderful airframe and this size bird is sweet. No doubt!
MetHerInBaghdad is offline Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaKs are BeSt
just look on rcu in the 3d flying forum. I started like a 50 page thread on the 260, for some odd reason I put up the first post and didnt really care bout it but it got about 1500+ replies, anyways the real info would be in there.

I think its 12lbs with a OS 1.60. Maybe 11.
I posted my opinion on the usefulness of a DA in this plane on that forum already. Having owned a 15 pound EF Yak with 1450 squares, I already know a 15 pound 260 with 1160 squares would be a disapointment for me, but unlimited performance under 12 pounds would make a light flyer of it.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

My concern is maintaining low wing loading while having unlimited vertical performance. I have seen Patty Crapstaffs (similar wing area and size) fly up here with the DA's and they fly heavy at 14-16 pounds - you could tell just by watching them.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by sprice50
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts

I have a Moki 2.10 in mine and it is awesome even though the motor is still running rich.I am getting a pump for it though. Using a Menz 20x7.

I read the entire RCU thread when I got my plane... took forever! Anyway they seem to come out from 12.5-13.5lbs. Don't have a scale so I didn;t even weight mine, but vertical is unlimited and landings are real slow! CG at 5in back from root LE as per instructions.

RCU guys said it was great on the Saito 220.

Good luck,
Shaun
sprice50 is offline Find More Posts by sprice50
Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by sprice50
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts

Oops... theknife edge is awesome too. I had no coupling whatsoever and had her at 35 degrees and half thottle in KE on the first flight!
sprice50 is offline Find More Posts by sprice50
Old 02-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by NimbleGimbal
Joined Jan 2006
12 Posts

My friends 260 with Saito 220 and kokam 3270 lipo weighs in at 13lbs dry... No extras.
NimbleGimbal is offline Find More Posts by NimbleGimbal
Old 02-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

That's what I'm lookin' for...what kind of muffler and did he use the stock engine mounts?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Find More Posts by Gutboy
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts

I can't see how they get to 11 lbs 7 ozs. A guy on the RCU thread got his down to 12 lbs on a OS 160 and with lightening mods (wheels, canopy floor etc). Mine weighs just under 13 lbs before assembly with Moki 1.80 and Bisson Pitts muffler so you can bet on 13.5 finished.

I get sick of these stupid claims in magazines. Talk to people who actually fly one before you buy - it's the only way!
Gutboy is offline Find More Posts by Gutboy
Old 02-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Yeah. I figured as much. I don't need the plane, anyway...
Fly R/C should post an editors note on that, because such claims could lead people to purchase the plane, only to find that 11.45 pounds with the 220 is friggin IMPOSSIBLE, unless helium is involved!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Just a thought but... anyone ever think that maybe manufactures weigh like 500+ kits, pick the best, lightest ones and send those out for review?
Because production kits can vary almost .25 - 1lb from kit to kit depending on the wood used during that production run.

I have a feeling that the reviewers are receiving The BEST the company has to offer. And most have quite a bit of experience with building so many have tricks to save weight.

No defending either side, just had an Idea about what the "Public" starts with and what "reviewers" start with.

Either way, I find magazines pretty valuable. Especially the reviews. If you over look the fluff, and read between the lines you can usually get a pretty good idea of what a plane is like.

Or worst case , at least RC magazines make a great read on the crapper.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC

Quick Reply