logo
Old 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Here's the best pic I could find on the web. You can see the corner judge sitting in the chair (disregard the other folks in the pic) directly under the metal frame that defines the corner. Two cables extend outward from a point above the judges head along each box axis. The judge moves his/her head to align the cables (so they see one) whenever the plane approaches. By holding their head still they can see if the plane flies beyond the border of the box

In the second pic I colored one axis yellow and the other white. The box outline is defined by a red dashed line on the ground.

Hope this helps. Really a simple device and easy to use.

Earle
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
We use the same kind of sighting devices in F3B and F3F (Sailplane Multi-Task, and Slope Racing).

Interesting to see a couple RV-8s in the contest. I guess I thought people shied away from competition in RVs after a few RV-3's came apart a long time ago. And yeah.. money doesn't buy trophies.. There's a guy who's been flying a Taylorcraft at the IAC Nats in Sportsman against much higher performance airplanes and has won it several times if I remember correctly.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
We use the same kind of sighting devices in F3B and F3F (Sailplane Multi-Task, and Slope Racing).

Interesting to see a couple RV-8s in the contest. I guess I thought people shied away from competition in RVs after a few RV-3's came apart a long time ago. And yeah.. money doesn't buy trophies.. There's a guy who's been flying a Taylorcraft at the IAC Nats in Sportsman against much higher performance airplanes and has won it several times if I remember correctly.
The paintwork on the RV was impeccable! It also performed well.

I do agree with you, Doug, about the pilot and knowing his/her equipment and being able to manipulate the best performance from it.

I've seen suggestions regarding the introduction of "handicaps " into IMAC. That's a whole set of "outerworldly" complexities that would need Einstein to declassify. I can't imagine who would even sit down behind a desk to work out the why's and the wherefore's of such a system. I've even read that arbitrary figures were even pulled from the "think cap" to say this is what should be used.

For me....... such a system is a talking point.

Pilot to pilot and let the better man/woman WIN! Just like Rebecca in Sportman last week in the SW. Maybe they should rename it "Sportwoman"!
Wayne
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
United States, MS, Vicksburg
Joined Jan 2015
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
Here's the best pic I could find on the web. You can see the corner judge sitting in the chair (disregard the other folks in the pic) directly under the metal frame that defines the corner. Two cables extend outward from a point above the judges head along each box axis. The judge moves his/her head to align the cables (so they see one) whenever the plane approaches. By holding their head still they can see if the plane flies beyond the border of the box

In the second pic I colored one axis yellow and the other white. The box outline is defined by a red dashed line on the ground.

Hope this helps. Really a simple device and easy to use.

Earle
very interesting setup. Thanks for sharing!
Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
I came across this on the IAC website and thought that some of the FG members may not have seen the videos of the 2017 IAC Nationals..... Here is a link

2017 IAC NATIONALS
Wayne
Old 12-14-2017, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by flyinryans
United States, GA, Griffin
Joined Sep 2006
218 Posts
Awesome site Wayne. The video guy did a great job on these.
flyinryans is offline Find More Posts by flyinryans
Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryans View Post
Awesome site Wayne. The video guy did a great job on these.
It certainly is very well done.

Take a look at the lower section of the page for Vincent Sabin’s flights with a glider. It gives a wider appreciation for speed and altitude control.

Quick Reply