logo
Old 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,897 Posts
Question
TALON 120HV and Hacker motors

i know they have said they were going to get a firmware update but has anyone have 28 pole hacker on this esc to be able to tell me if its true yet? i was updating my small CC escs today and they have an update that shows 28 pole motors. i need to buy a esc for my hacker a60-5s and wanted a talon but dont want to buy it if i cant fly by spring. cant really afford to buy the jeti esc i want. thanks for the input. yes i have emailed CC a few times in the past few weeks. no responce yet
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by flybaby505
AmericanSpectre
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
I know from personal experience the Hacker A-60-7S will run just fine on the CC80 HV without issue, others will say the same. Even though it's a 28 pole motor the design and winding are different from the Q80's.

Would be good to know if the Talon would work with the Q80-11/14 series?

Bill
flybaby505 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby505
Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,897 Posts
reason im going talon is to have the built in BEC. id like to keep it simple and have it all in one. if i dont hear back soon guess ill have to find the extra money for the jeti mezon. but this build has killed my funds. lol. i think itll work but i cant afford to take the chance
Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 AM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
The Talon 120HV should work great with the A60-5S, it the same motor as my A60-7S. I used it in a 2 meter pattern plane flying FAI with it (experiment).

The Mezon is Bad a$$ for power..... I recommend one of these too, it will remove the potential for a brown out, if you over fly the packs.

http://www.espritmodel.com/receiver-...kup-guard.aspx
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby505 View Post
The Talon 120HV should work great with the A60-5S, it the same motor as my A60-7S. I used it in a 2 meter pattern plane flying FAI with it (experiment).

The Mezon is Bad a$$ for power..... I recommend one of these too, it will remove the potential for a brown out, if you over fly the packs.

http://www.espritmodel.com/receiver-...kup-guard.aspx
But did you use that motor with a Talon esc? There is a known issue with the Edge esc's and 28 pole motors. I think the Talons were having the same issue. The old ICE esc's worked on old firmware. I too would like to know if Castle has this rectified.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 03-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,897 Posts
CC emailed me back and said the newest firmware 4.22 is good to go on 28 pole. i should have my talon 120hv tomorrow and maybe able to bench run it. i know how good the mezon is but its out of my budget and dont need it for my flying ability. ill chime back in tomorrow if i get the esc
Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 PM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
Nope

I am very Aware of the issues with the 28 pole motor Hacker. However, it only applies to the Q80 series of motors, not the "A" series. I have not used a lite CC version only the CC80 HV, which work great.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
But did you use that motor with a Talon esc? There is a known issue with the Edge esc's and 28 pole motors. I think the Talons were having the same issue. The old ICE esc's worked on old firmware. I too would like to know if Castle has this rectified.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
Go for it

Good news!

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
CC emailed me back and said the newest firmware 4.22 is good to go on 28 pole. i should have my talon 120hv tomorrow and maybe able to bench run it. i know how good the mezon is but its out of my budget and dont need it for my flying ability. ill chime back in tomorrow if i get the esc
Old 03-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby505 View Post
I am very Aware of the issues with the 28 pole motor Hacker. However, it only applies to the Q80 series of motors, not the "A" series. I have not used a lite CC version only the CC80 HV, which work great.

Bill
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you must not be very aware of the problem or you'd know that it was more widespread than the Q80 series. A quick google search will take you to many threads about other 28 pole Hacker motors not cooperating with the Edge and Talon series controllers. 71" Slick owners were having problems with A60-6xs and A60-5s motors. Castle has said before that the latest firmware fixed it and it didn't. I think the OP wants to hear from someone who successfully uses his chosen components together.
I want to hear from someone that the latest firmware fixed their issue, because I'm planning a new electric and would like to use a Talon or Edge myself with a Hacker motor.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Last edited by VinceY; 03-02-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,897 Posts
ill be firing my talon 120HV and hacker a60-5s in the next day or two. dont know when i can fly it though
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
Hum

Well....., all I can say is I did not, nor did many other prominent FAI/F3A pilots that have used the A60-7S-V2 to test, with the combination I mentioned above. Setup is very important in the ESC and matching the end points as well or you over heat the motor and it will start to shutdown. You guys already now all that stuff.....

CC now has it fixed.... Sweet!

Thanks,

Bill Holsten
3 Time Don Lowe Masters Competitor, 2 Time Carolina Free-Style Champion, FAI/F3A Distruict 2 Champion 2009. The list is long.....

Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you must not be very aware of the problem or you'd know that it was more widespread than the Q80 series. A quick google search will take you to many threads about other 28 pole Hacker motors not cooperating with the Edge and Talon series controllers. 71" Slick owners were having problems with A60-6xs and A60-5s motors. Castle has said before that the latest firmware fixed it and it didn't. I think the OP wants to hear from someone who successfully uses his chosen components together.
I want to hear from someone that the latest firmware fixed their issue, because I'm planning a new electric and would like to use a Talon or Edge myself with a Hacker motor.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 AM
AmericanSpectre
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
Watt meter

Food for thought...

If you have a WATT meter, see what it is doing on the ground first. Also, always break in you're flight pack at least 4-5 cycles at very low RPM's. This helps to normalize the cells and lower the internal resistance and extends the life of the batteries.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182 View Post
ill be firing my talon 120HV and hacker a60-5s in the next day or two. dont know when i can fly it though
Old 03-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Yup, Edge was a no go with my Torque Silver Bullet, a Q60 clone, I think. And the Edge was not returnable once connectors had been attached though it will work fine in my choppers. IF my Mezon fails I'll try the Edge with the new firmware....
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 03-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,897 Posts
for first fire up i have some older but good packs to test on. my new batterys wont be here till end of week and yes im going to cycle them a few times while the weather is still cold and crappy. ill just tie it up in the yard and run it like %25 power for half packs. at least a few times per set of batts
Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,897 Posts
well got the Talon 120HV firmware updated and got the plane outside and ran it up. very smooth. but i wasnt getting any pull untill about 3/4 power then it hit hard like a boost. came inside and started looking at the radio. i had endpoint at 59/105 so that might be it. but at least its smooth and im on the right track. at pull power it is stronger then the 40cc i took off. cant wait to finish it up.

Quick Reply