logo
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Eastern Shore IMAC Opener May 2nd and 3rd

It's almost that time for our season to start and this year we have a new contest to start with. The field location is in Hurlock MD and is a beautiful field with loads of flying room.

The club name is:

Eastern Shore Aeromodelers Club
http://www.esacclub.org/

Here are the particulars:

Fee:

$35.00 for non-IMAC members and 25.00 for IMAC members

Dates are:

Friday practice on May 1st 2009
Saturday May 2nd pilots meeting at 8:30am with wheels up planned for 9:00am
Sunday May 3rd times to be announce on Saturday

The club will have food and snacks for sale both days

As mentioned the field will be open for practice all day on May 1st but you will most likely have to share the field with club members. This is a pretty active club with all sorts of different types of pilots.

The two minute/ one minute rule will be in effect.

Freestyle will be offered. All classes will received plaques for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places, Freestyle only first place. We will try to get 3 rounds in on Saturday then the Freestyle. Sunday will be the unknowns and one full round.

If everyone is interested and time allows on Saturday, I will be doing something Pete Castine likes to do called short unknowns. Everyone is invited to try it out, no prizes will be awarded at this point as we have not gotten the responses back for donations just yet, it's just for fun. Basically it consists of 3 maneuvers, not really IMAC legal but scored on IMAC rules. The maneuvers are based on a class above where you would normally fly and for the Unlimited guys, trust me they can be hard. For those in the other classes, you will find out just how good your rudder skills are

Runway is roughly 150X1000 feet grass and smooth as glass. Though there is really no overfly issues, there is a house within 1/2 mile of the field to the left of the runway so we will not be swapping flightlines for 4 of the 5 classes, Basic and Sportsman will fly to the left with Advanced and Unlimited to the right, Intermediate will be used to fill in as needed at either flightline.

We have agreed to try to be off the field around 6:00pm Saturday and 2:00pm Sunday.

Camping is allowed, no electric or water but there is a porta-potty available. For those that may be camping, all the club asks is that you stay along the tree line and be mindful of your sound at night as there is a couple of houses back behind the tree line.

Hotels info will soon follow, we are trying to get a discount for everyone.

You can find directions and GPS coordinates in the following PDF file

http://www.esacclub.org/assets/Hurlock-Contest-Info.pdf

If you use Google Earth, I have a KMZ file that you can open in Google Earth and see exactly where the field is and get exact directions using that. Just send me an email at

[email protected]

and I will forward the file to you

Please take the time to pre-register at the following link, it will make my life so much easier

http://www.mini-iac.com/Regions/Nort...1/Default.aspx
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Last edited by bubbagates; 03-17-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Re: Eastern Shore IMAC Opener May 2nd and 3rd

Just a bit of an update. Currently the weather shows windy for Friday with a 50% chance of thunder boomers. Sat shows a 40% chance of scattered thunder bumpers, same for Sunday, they do not mention wind for either day

So at this time, the contest is still on. I will hold a vote if the weather is questionable to down right sucks at the Saturday pilots meeting
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by kenbeanie
Yak Daddy
GreenWood delaware
Joined Sep 2006
32 Posts

Looks like it will be flyable I put in a request for better weather should show up Sat - Sunday Friday will take care of it self. Keep the faith.

Friday
5/1/2009

Hi: 75

Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the afternoon. Milder. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Lo: 59

Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers. Lows in the upper 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Saturday
5/2/2009

Hi: 76

Cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Lo: 51

Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then a chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Sunday
5/3/2009

Hi: 60

Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Cooler with highs in the mid 60s.

Lo: 52

Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 50s.
kenbeanie is offline Find More Posts by kenbeanie
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Ken,

Yea I'm watching it closely. We probably are gonna get the contest in between rain showers, if we have any.

I've having trouble pulling up the radar today so once I see that....

I was searching around yesterday. I could have bought a complete DJ sound system for around $500 including one wireless Mic, one dual CD player and mixer board with MP3 capabilities, 2 12inch 1200w speakers with stands and all the cables which only needs 5amps to run so any generator could handle it. Is there any place reasonably local to you that sells DJ systems for around $500 to $600 or can even rent one to me.

http://www.cheapbandgear.com/DJ_Syst...FQgNDQodc0PG-g

I know we have the other PA system but I was hoping we could get a killer sound system
Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

have fun down there you guys. hope the weather behaves for ya.
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Just got back from the contest. I'll let Brian got into more detail with a full contest report but I want to say that we did 3 full rounds today and the unknowns. We did that because we found out the it was supposed to rain all day on Sunday.

We had 11 registered pilots and everyone and I do mean everyone was ready to go either when I called them to the flight or even before. We did not start until 10:00am and finished at 7:15pm with a hour for lunch and 1.5 hours for looking over the unknowns. I know 11 isn't much but if you consider what they were saying in the forecast, it wasn't bad at all

So I would like to publicly thank everyone for the way you all handled yourselves today. You did such a great job that we have been invited back for more and they really want to see if we can squeeze a second contest this year and one for next year. We had great eats, laughed a lot and just had a blast and everyone made me look good

I thank you all

Here are the final scores

Basic:

1 Ray Foly 4,956.7
2 Ken Warren 4,919.9
3 Steve Stanton 4,601.8
4 Robert Boyer 3,324.9

Sportsman:

1 Robert Pleasanton 5,000.0
2 Mark McQuaide 4,724.7
3 Rick Michaud 4,245.7

Intermediate:

1 Neil Westdorp 5,000.0
2 Jake Ruddy 3,787.2

No Advanced pilots were registered

Unlimited:

1 David Michael 5,000.0
2 Andy Kane 4,357.2

Seniors:

1 Steve Stanton 5,000.0

Congrats to all that flew
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Neil4
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
1,138 Posts

Thanks Mr. Bill for a well run contest. It was nice to see everyone again and I look forward to seeing some more of the NE guys at the next contest in Hamburg.

Neil
Neil4 is online now Find More Posts by Neil4
Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,056 Posts

The first contest of a season is always a challenge to be ready for- many have not flown the sequence or have only flown it a few times, some have new planes that have only a few flights or haven't gotten their old ones back together from winter maintenance. Combine that with the forecasted weather of rain both days and it's easy to see why so many decided to hold off.

Having said that- the field and the conditions made it a joy to fly. In the NE we don't often get the chance to fly at a wide open flat field- wow, is it great. If you weren't there yesterday you missed a great day of flying. Well run contest and the host club was fantastic. I certainly hope that they continue to have us back.

Thanks to Bill and the volunteers and to the Eastern Shore Aeromodelers!
dmichael is online now Find More Posts by dmichael
Last edited by dmichael; 05-03-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Glad to see you guys were able to get the contest in!!!!!!!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil4 View Post
Thanks Mr. Bill for a well run contest. It was nice to see everyone again and I look forward to seeing some more of the NE guys at the next contest in Hamburg.

Neil
Neil, your plane looked great in person and you couldn't tell that you only had a handful of flights on it prior to the contest. I always look forward to seeing you fly- you're doing great and it's only a matter of time til I'll be telling you to "move down"!
dmichael is online now Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by sinergy
US
Joined Feb 2006
931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
Glad to see you guys were able to get the contest in!!!!!!!
We got the contest in and my Radiocraft went in thanks for a failed CF wingtube that lasted 2 trim flights and a warm up flight Sat morning

Other than that it was a great contest, sky was tough to see in sometimes but we all had fun.

Thanks to all those who made the contest happen!
sinergy is offline Find More Posts by sinergy
Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
Neil, your plane looked great in person and you couldn't tell that you only had a handful of flights on it prior to the contest. I always look forward to seeing you fly- you're doing great and it's only a matter of time til I'll be telling you to "move down"!
Yes Dave. Neil does appear to be one of those young pilots with "unlimited" skills. Not only that but he BUILDS and flies.

I wish I would have had my plane yesterday. What a sweet field. As usual there were great people there and I had a blast even though I was not able to fly.
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by robertp17
United States, MD, Warwick
Joined Sep 2007
1,407 Posts

Yes I agree. I had a blast and the weather did hold out for Sat. Sunday is a different story, we woke up to rain and a very low ceiling. It is good that they changed it to Sat. for the unknowns.
robertp17 is offline Find More Posts by robertp17
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,584 Posts

Glad to hear the weather held up for you guys, hope to make it next year.

Jake, sorry to hear about your plane. Give Jon Leyland a call he has one for sale ready to fly.

Albert
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

One of the first things Jake asked was "Bill do you have Casper with you?" and then when I said no, "Are you brining it to Hamburg and if so can I use it?" I said yes

Damn, that's one popular plane, gotta love it

It was a sad site seeing that plane go down like that. I was getting something out of Ken's truck, I heard a very loud POP and turned around quick enough to yell "KNIFE EDGE" which he had just got it into, but a few seconds later it spiraled into the ground
Last edited by bubbagates; 05-04-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply