logo
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by The_Wreck
United States, GA, Mableton
Joined May 2006
1,797 Posts
I am with you Curtis, IMAC has made the hobby more enjoyable for me. I was tired of 3D and pointless flying. Maybe once I reach unlimited for a couple of years, I may grow tired of it but I doubt it. Right now I am really enjoying the challenge of moving up through the classes.

Maybe the other regions are different but the camaraderie in the SE is great. I enjoy getting to spend time with many of the pilots that I only get to see a few times a year. Bryce, I am not sure what experiences you have had to say "spoiled people with attitudes", but I am sorry you had them. I think you are missing out on a part of the hobby that is very enjoyable.

It may be boring to watch, but it is anything but boring to fly.
The_Wreck is offline Find More Posts by The_Wreck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
I've been considering hitting an IMAC event, but I can't seem to locate one
For people who can't fly. :-)
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
mattoon illinois usa
Joined Jan 2007
1,280 Posts
brycesteenburg is offline Find More Posts by brycesteenburg
Last edited by brycesteenburg; 07-22-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Oppinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteenburg View Post
Last thing I want is for someone else to tell me when, where, why, with and how to enjoy myself in my non work part of life. I am not the keep up with the Jones' type or need to impress anyone to make me feel cool. Then, to have to be charged for it and then the expense to get there plus some people there are just plain full of themselves. The rules are subjective at best (usually based on the above factors) and the investment in time and money for basically nothing but pride in return frankly does nothing for me. Yep, I went there and said it. As a spectator once told me it was like watching paint dry and spoiled people with attitudes painting, how about we go enjoy something else less boring. The only thing I could respond with was it is a much better experience behind the transmitter and does improve skills but not the most thrilling to watch. Basically comes down to ...I really don't look for that kind of structure in life for pleasure. Also, before you are offended, I am not alone in this thought. Personal opinion and your all welcome to have your own opinion too. The OP asked.

Bryce
It's a shame that you have came to this conclusion. I can understand the disappointment when you don't place as high as others. It is very easy to blame your short comings on the brand of your equipment, size of your plane, or who your competitors are friends with. These are all real good excuses for not doing well, I have been there! I have flown the David against the Goliath's and felt that maybe I did not get the scores that I should have. But if you continue to fly well long enough people will notice! I am a very competitive person and hate to lose more than anyone that I know, but first and foremost you have to have fun at what you are doing. The judging is subjective and sometimes inconsistent, that is why we need to fly more rounds! With more rounds the pilots that fly the most consistent will always find the way to the top. It's kind of like automobile racing, anyone can be fast for one lap but the person who is the most consistent will win the race.

I will also agree that IMAC is great but I also think that their is room for improvment.
Chuck
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Last edited by eheliflyer; 07-19-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Read more
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,699 Posts
Last year in Colorado we had 2 contests, both poorly attended. This year we have 4 and the attendence has been way better. I hope the trend continues here anyway.
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by Ernie34
You dont say that...
United States, PA, Monessen
Joined Aug 2009
825 Posts
I would like to try IMAC but I dont know anyone in my area to help me.

Ernie
Ernie34 is offline Find More Posts by Ernie34
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
mattoon illinois usa
Joined Jan 2007
1,280 Posts
Last edited by brycesteenburg; 07-22-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Any competition is in need of improvement. All honestly I am tired of people that complain about the rules and how they are judge...Being a USSF Advanced Soccer Official for 10 years now and being apart of IMAC competition it seems like people get mad because they are loosing and blame it on the Ref or the judging....

...I do this for fun and enjoy being with fellow IMAC members that enjoy the same hobby as me. When I look back at IMAC contest I have competed in I dont even remember what place so and so came in or what place I came in...all I remember in my memories are the great times I spent with fellow IMAC members...

Nothing is going to be perfect in life, and your not going to please everyone in this community. I thank all of the current and past IMAC Board members for doing a great job for what they are doing.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by 3ddd
tissue ? cry baby jack wagon!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,886 Posts
for me ,,the heat has been a killer
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
OK... In my unimportant and irrelavent opinion.....

The airplanes are capable of way more than the sequences demand.
IMAC as an organization seems stuck in the paradigm of "Lets try to do it like a real plane"... (And than they put multiple roll and snap elements on uplines!! lol)

The sequences can be made more fun and interesting if other Non-IAC maneuvers were incorporated...

Even the FAI F3A Pattern is more interesting than IMAC Unlimited...

As a non-participant, it looks to me that the process of seperating the Unlimited from the next level down is to just add more snaps.... (Every unlimited maneuver has a snap except the optional... rolling circle or loop I think)...

The planes will do so much more than the current list of maneuvers.... but the IAC'esque paradigm persists...
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
CARF-Models Rep USA
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Cryhavoc..

Of course there is cost involved. That is not what I was referring to.
When you make equipment choices directly related to scores received that is Pay to Play.

Curtis,
Yes its alive but can you really say "Well"
You cant ignore the so called negative but it seems that is what IMAC is doing.

Its really too bad.
It could be so much better.
Seriously... the guy who has had how many "pro built" airplanes on FG now wants to complain about the cost of the airplanes??? You are part of the reason people believe that they can not complete with an ARF!

I like you Wayne, but I'm sick of the whining....

No you do not have to fly a $10,000 pro built airplane to be competitive. You are right, at then end every edge to win will help you to get the win.... flying skill is still 99.9% of the score. Don't blame the sound if you can't compete.

Personally, I've been more active with IMAC in the last 3 years than the last 12 due to work and life. I think everything has an effect on what people decide to do with their time.

I've been in this hobby well over 30 years, and trends are trends... normal ebb and flow.
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
CARF-Models Rep USA
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
OK... In my unimportant and irrelavent opinion.....

The airplanes are capable of way more than the sequences demand.
IMAC as an organization seems stuck in the paradigm of "Lets try to do it like a real plane"... (And than they put multiple roll and snap elements on uplines!! lol)

The sequences can be made more fun and interesting if other Non-IAC maneuvers were incorporated...

Even the FAI F3A Pattern is more interesting than IMAC Unlimited...

As a non-participant, it looks to me that the process of seperating the Unlimited from the next level down is to just add more snaps.... (Every unlimited maneuver has a snap except the optional... rolling circle or loop I think)...

The planes will do so much more than the current list of maneuvers.... but the IAC'esque paradigm persists...

Good point mith!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
mattoon illinois usa
Joined Jan 2007
1,280 Posts
Last edited by brycesteenburg; 07-22-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
RC 'Aholic!
United States, CT, Westbrook
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts
You need nubile young women to give messages in between rounds! Now that will increase attendance!
RollingHarrier is offline Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
CARF-Models Rep USA
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Any competition is in need of improvement. All honestly I am tired of people that complain about the rules and how they are judge...Being a USSF Advanced Soccer Official for 10 years now and being apart of IMAC competition it seems like people get mad because they are loosing and blame it on the Ref or the judging....

...I do this for fun and enjoy being with fellow IMAC members that enjoy the same hobby as me. When I look back at IMAC contest I have competed in I dont even remember what place so and so came in or what place I came in...all I remember in my memories are the great times I spent with fellow IMAC members...

Nothing is going to be perfect in life, and your not going to please everyone in this community. I thank all of the current and past IMAC Board members for doing a great job for what they are doing.

Couldn't agree with you more Kevin... It is easy to blame the rules why people aren't wining. It's hard for someone to look at themselves and understand that they didn't fly as well as the person beating them.

Quick Reply