logo
Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
Today, I heard from Greg Alderman of Electron Gears. He shipped the L/Gears and the new controller and I should get them by Friday. This will again take me into uncharted waters (for me) as the previous gear on the Leo were pneumatics....... These now being electric. More new stuff to learn.

I must say, 2018/2019 provided a full ďJunior HighĒ in education for me and Iíve learned more in one year than I can imagine. The innovation within the Jet world blows away anything Iíve been exposed to before in model aviation.
W
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Thanks Adam. In my exuberance, I ordered 3 tubes of the 9462 and stored the other 2 in the refrigerator. They expire in 2021. If I had known about the E20, I would have gone with that instead.

Itís all fine though. Everything in time.
Suggest you order an E20, you will need it at some time and better to have some than not....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 03-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Guess I need to order some E20 too...
camss69 is online now Find More Posts by camss69
Old 03-09-2019, 04:15 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Suggest you order an E20, you will need it at some time and better to have some than not....
Yes... I will definitely get a couple and keep handy.

Well... Today has been such a great day! Last night, I worked on a Leo side and top view graphics and came up with a color scheme that is going to fit into what I have been using, and will also be much more visible than the previous "silver" Leo. Then, this morning, I took a trip over to East GA and met up with Primo Rivera who will be painting my baby!! We discussed at length my design and made a few changes. I followed his suggestions as they were very relevant. We transferred the Leo over to him and then we both headed home, in opposite directions. Primo put the fuselage together at his home......

On reaching home, the ELECTRON L/Gears were there waiting on me and I had to open up and drool for a while. These were in Andrew Jesky's Leo and were sent to me from Danny Diaz of PowerBox Americas after routing them through Greg Alderman at ELECTRON Retracts USA. They were thoroughly tested and Greg sent me the GS-200 controller for the entire system. I am really sailing today and have already bought tickets for the LOTTO tonight!

I think I'll settle in this afternoon and watch both of Martin Pickering's VIDEO on the installation of the L/Gears

His second video explains the difference between all the Controllers for the Electron gears.

I hope you guys are having as great an evening as I'm having!!

One last thing.....I was looking through some of my earlier posts and I came across 2 that really hammered home to me, my predictions. The first one (6/4/18), had to do with Kal Reifsnyder and what I thought would have happened at the 2018 Pattern NATS. Take a look at the last sentence... Kal qualified for the USA Team going to the FAI Worlds later this year. It never surprised me!!

I also made another prediction...but it still has 3 years to go.... One (year) has already passed and I can see it shaping up (to come to pass), as I had said!
Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
F3S Jet Precision Aerobatics
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Thanks Adam. In my exuberance, I ordered 3 tubes of the 9462 and stored the other 2 in the refrigerator. They expire in 2021. If I had known about the E20, I would have gone with that instead.

Itís all fine though. Everything in time.
E-20HP and E-120HP both will run... which is fine for areas you can let it bleed, but for areas you want it to stay where you put it, 9462.

E-20 is a 20 minute work time, whereas the E-120 is two hours work time. Both still require 24 hours to completely harden.

There are several versions of the E-20/120, those i know of are: E-20HP E-20NS ( the NS is non sag, meaning it will stay where you put it)
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,361 Posts
You will love the electron gears! I have installed them in both the Havoc and the Futura I have built for a customer, super user friendly system.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 03-10-2019, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by rcflying53
Airliner Huckin'
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2010
463 Posts
Glad to see you are making great progress on that Leo and it should be ready soon after painting is complete!! Are you still thinking about heading to First In Flight at the end of May?

Looks like my jet addiction is getting worse. Just ordered a new 1/5 scale L-39 that should be arriving around the Jet Nats week. Unfortunately, it wonít be in an airworthiness state until late summer, so that means I wonít be able to fly in a second class (Scale) at the Jet Nats. Just be participating in the Basic class this year.

This jet addiction stuff is a slippery slope...lol!
rcflying53 is offline Find More Posts by rcflying53
Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
E-20HP and E-120HP both will run... which is fine for areas you can let it bleed, but for areas you want it to stay where you put it, 9462.

E-20 is a 20 minute work time, whereas the E-120 is two hours work time. Both still require 24 hours to completely harden.

There are several versions of the E-20/120, those i know of are: E-20HP E-20NS ( the NS is non sag, meaning it will stay where you put it)
Great info, Matt. Thanks. I think I will look into the NS version as that was what impressed me with the 9462. When I was doing one of the flaps, I noticed that RedWings(Leonardo) did not place any adhesive on the second rib at the top and I just laid the nozzle at the spar and squirted glue along the rib. It stayed in the proper place and dried overnight.
W
Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
You will love the electron gears! I have installed them in both the Havoc and the Futura I have built for a customer, super user friendly system.
Hey Charles....After speaking with Matt tonight, I'm a bit less intimidated about using them. I think the first video above had 5 or 6 places where warnings were given on what not to do, & I was quivering in my boots.... But I think I'll be OK....

One never really knows what lies in the hidden sections of one's jet (if he bought it from someone) until, it crashes and then you get a peek at all the air tubes running into connectors and T's...and.... I'm now HAPPY that I don't have to re-do all of that stuff!!
W
Old 03-10-2019, 07:55 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflying53 View Post
Glad to see you are making great progress on that Leo and it should be ready soon after painting is complete!! Are you still thinking about heading to First In Flight at the end of May?

Looks like my jet addiction is getting worse. Just ordered a new 1/5 scale L-39 that should be arriving around the Jet Nats week. Unfortunately, it wonít be in an airworthiness state until late summer, so that means I wonít be able to fly in a second class (Scale) at the Jet Nats. Just be participating in the Basic class this year.

This jet addiction stuff is a slippery slope...lol!
Hey Adam.... I'm not sure if I'm going to make First in Flight as I probably will be getting my first flights on the new Leo after the Joe Nall. I'll be tied up for a month with embroidery for that event, so I'll be hard at preparations right after for the JET NATS event in Tennessee.

Congrats on the L-39. I'm sure it will fly very well. I judged 2 last year at the Red Flag event and I can say that for a scale aircraft it did well.

There is no going back...after you have experienced the first start-up of your turbine!!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:16 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
With my Leo at the painter, I decided to triple check the new extensions that we built from the PowerBox Maxi wiring and out of curiosity, I also decided to compare them with what I previously had in my Dalton (20AWG).

I hooked up a new Li-Ion PowerBox Pro battery to one side of the long extensions (for the rudder/elevators about 7 ft.) and on the other side I connected my Fromeco 8 ball battery tester with a 1AMP load. The unloaded battery started off at 8.3v and when the 1AMP was loaded, the voltage went down to 7.86v. After testing all 3 leads, I then hooked up my leads that I used to fly Scale Aerobatics with in my Dalton. These leads were shorter (4ft 3ins to be exact) and were heavy gauge 20AWG.

I was more than surprised when the 8 Ball showed 7.18v at the ends!! That was a large drop in voltage and I am now realizing that the change over to the PowerBox wires is a decision that was well made and that the difference is significant!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,112 Posts
I spent the last week with my shop in disarray. After 5yrs of looking at a temporary table that was too deep..i.e. my short ass couldn't reach the wall (held my drill press, sander, grinder, vise etc), and then not long enough to fit the 8ft gap between the main shop beams so I could fit my scroll saw and band saw also (both are still in the box from when I moved to Ohio)....and finally the ends of the table were sagging because of the weight.

I tore all that down and built a longer and shallower table with 4x4 legs (6 of them) with 2x4 bracing all around and inside. That thing is never gonna sag and the level said I made it level!!!! But somewhere in the process I misplaced my drill press chuck and a bar that attaches the tray to my disc sander to my belt sander. I know they are around in the clutter and saw dust somewhere.

I also replaced all my halogen bulb 4ft lights with 4200 lumen LED lights. the Halogen ones were taking too long to get full bright when the temps of my shop dropped below 40.

I think I'm making excuses and extra projects to not work on the nose cone of my jet.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 03-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
I think I'm making excuses and extra projects to not work on the nose cone of my jet.
'Gotta be in the mood, that was/is such a beautiful job you did so you can access the electronics and such, don't wan't to mess it up working on it when you don't want to.....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
'Gotta be in the mood, that was/is such a beautiful job you did so you can access the electronics and such, don't wan't to mess it up working on it when you don't want to.....
Ha.....the plan is that it will be a beautiful job......I wouldn't say I'm there yet.

I did sand the rudder down a little and prime it. Somewhere I lost my solder iron that I used to burn rivots back when I did it on my P-47. The two irons I recently tried are not getting hot enough to do it right. Also finding out the lettering that is on the plane is a little thicker than it feels so it showed through on what I thought was sanded enough. So more elbow grease or I might use my "clean strip" citrus stripper on the plane.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,212 Posts
Some good news on my side. KingTech shipped back my 210 and there was no damage to it. All required testing was done...so I'm happy about that. In addition, PowerBox Americas tested my Mercury and there was also no damage to it. There was an abrasion on the wire to the display unit and a new lead was put on.

My painter got the colors back from the paint shop and he did a small test spray (without the clear) on the old fuselage to see how they will look. I will definitely be able to see this new Leo as compared to the struggle I had with the first one. It's now a matter of waiting patiently for Primo. This weekend he's at a contest in Ocala, so I'll just twiddle my thumbs and go cut a plate to mount all the displays/Mercury on.

I will be using the same "trick" that many use i.e. a regular 3/32" (or maybe 1/8") birch ply and cover it with a "simulated" carbon fiber professional wrap, which I bought at the Auto-Zone. I'm making this one 2" wider but the same size between the two formers in front of the fuel tank. This will give me adequate area to fit everything, including the GS200 Electron controller.

After I get back the Leo, there will still be a lot of work left to finish her up, but I'm ready to get cracking at it!

We have finished the flyer for the upcoming Jet National Championships and I'm placing a copy of the flyer below for your viewing, if interested. Rod Snyder finalized some information regarding camping and tents/hook-ups (electrical). This info will be uploaded to the website.
Wayne

Quick Reply