logo
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Kolm IS the correct answer in this case, but they changed ownership and are harder to get in the states.

Valach also makes a 120 inline tiwn, Dr. Gotz imports it:

https://www.aeroscale.shop/collectio...h-vm-210-i2-4t
jharkin is online now Find More Posts by jharkin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-29-2020, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
United States, NJ, Freehold
Joined Feb 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Kolm IS the correct answer in this case, but they changed ownership and are harder to get in the states.

Valach also makes a 120 inline tiwn, Dr. Gotz imports it:

https://www.aeroscale.shop/collectio...h-vm-210-i2-4t
And why exactly is Kolm the correct answer especially when the question asked was DA vs DLA? Kolm and Vlach are a different class of motor and not at all what I'm interested in.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Old 09-29-2020, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by smurfjet
Minneapolis Minnesota
Joined May 2007
10 Posts
I know you’re comparing the DA vs DLA but you mentioned the 3w-150 so my thoughts -

The 3w-150 is a beast. Absolutely a powerhouse and would make your Spitfire just rip. The 100/116 would fly your Clark just fine but totally different from the 150 in terms of performance.

My flying buddy has a 3w-150 in-line on his 3w P-51 Mustang. The crank is a 2 piece that is pressed together and it recently failed. The engine was sent back to Gerard at Aircraft International where he contacted Germany for parts. Apparently there are no cranks available so the engine is basically good for parts only now. It was a great engine when it was running. TONS of power and nice and heavy, but just know if you do locate one to buy, you will have a hard time sourcing parts for it should they be needed in the future.

I’ve flown the DA-100 in a Comp Arf Spitfire and it was a nice flyer. Not overly fast though and the Comp Arf is a little smaller than the Clark Spit. I don’t have any experience with the DLA so can’t comment on that one.

Good luck with your search. And post some pictures of that Clark Spitfire!

Dave
Minneapolis MN
smurfjet is offline Find More Posts by smurfjet
Old 09-29-2020, 09:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfjet View Post
I know you’re comparing the DA vs DLA but you mentioned the 3w-150 so my thoughts -

The 3w-150 is a beast. Absolutely a powerhouse and would make your Spitfire just rip. The 100/116 would fly your Clark just fine but totally different from the 150 in terms of performance.

My flying buddy has a 3w-150 in-line on his 3w P-51 Mustang. The crank is a 2 piece that is pressed together and it recently failed. The engine was sent back to Gerard at Aircraft International where he contacted Germany for parts. Apparently there are no cranks available so the engine is basically good for parts only now. It was a great engine when it was running. TONS of power and nice and heavy, but just know if you do locate one to buy, you will have a hard time sourcing parts for it should they be needed in the future.

I’ve flown the DA-100 in a Comp Arf Spitfire and it was a nice flyer. Not overly fast though and the Comp Arf is a little smaller than the Clark Spit. I don’t have any experience with the DLA so can’t comment on that one.

Good luck with your search. And post some pictures of that Clark Spitfire!

Dave
Minneapolis MN
Great information. My large scale friends all like 3W but told me that parts might be an issue so what you've said here reinforces that. I'd like more power than the DA-100 but don't think I'll find anything. The low passes and up lines won't be as fast as I'd like but will be fine.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2011
47 Posts
I was going through my supplies this morning looking for something and realized that I have a Rimfire 65cc outrunner in my spares. I ran the numbers on eCalc and was surprised that it worked so well. It's a motor that I hadn't tried. I like what I see. It makes great power and pitch speed. 1:1 power to weight, top speed 86 mph level flight and good flight times on 6s 10,000 mAh. For a cost of $200 in lipos I'm trying out this set up.

Now if Desert Aircraft come out with a DA 120 or 150 inline and it fits...
Old 01-16-2022, 10:29 AM
Joined Feb 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesR View Post
This inline four stroke twin might be an ideal engine for your 1/4 scale Clark Spitfire. It is the Valach VM 120 I2 4T, it sounds awesome, very similar to what a Kolm sounds like.

https://youtu.be/8Q5zGQfwa0I

https://www.aeroscale.shop/products/valach-vm-210-i2-4t
ForcesR-- I'm coming around to your idea. The more I look at the Valach the more I like it. I watched the visdeo again and I'm starting to dig the sound. The prop sounds cool too. Here's another video of the Valach 120 i2 4T pulling around a 51 lb (dry weight) Vailly Typhoon.

Maiden Flight Vailly Aviation Hawker Typhoon with Valach 120i-4T (8 min 31 sec)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
As your coming over to the Idea of a Beautiful 4 stroke,

Roto motor are releasing an inline 125cc they already have the 130 but the twin should be great for the spitfire.

https://www.rotomotor.cz/product-page/roto-125-fsi

just another option.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 01-18-2022, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
As your coming over to the Idea of a Beautiful 4 stroke,

Roto motor are releasing an inline 125cc they already have the 130 but the twin should be great for the spitfire.

https://www.rotomotor.cz/product-page/roto-125-fsi

just another option.
That looks very nice. My friend Adam has the 3-cylinder for his Blazing Wings P-40. Pretty sure the 3-cylinder will fit my CLARK Spitfire as well as this new 2-cylinder.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been electric only for probably the last 3 decades so my wet fuel knowledge is almost nil, so I don't understand the differences between the Valach and the Roto in regard to the recommended prop sizes. The Roto's suggest props 24" to 26" for the 130 and 28" to 30" for the 125, while the Valach is 28" to 32" with big pitches.

They're all right around the same price $2500-$2600 so the choice would have to be made on quality and performance. I'm leaning towards the Valach because of the larger props. 1/4 scale prop for a Spitfire is around 34".
Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by Ixtrim
Joined Nov 2017
141 Posts
if you want to turn a Scale 4 Blade by a 4Stroke, it can only be done by a Kolm in this case. Let me know if you need more information!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
That looks very nice. My friend Adam has the 3-cylinder for his Blazing Wings P-40. Pretty sure the 3-cylinder will fit my CLARK Spitfire as well as this new 2-cylinder.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been electric only for probably the last 3 decades so my wet fuel knowledge is almost nil, so I don't understand the differences between the Valach and the Roto in regard to the recommended prop sizes. The Roto's suggest props 24" to 26" for the 130 and 28" to 30" for the 125, while the Valach is 28" to 32" with big pitches.

They're all right around the same price $2500-$2600 so the choice would have to be made on quality and performance. I'm leaning towards the Valach because of the larger props. 1/4 scale prop for a Spitfire is around 34".
Ixtrim is offline Find More Posts by Ixtrim
Old 01-25-2022, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixtrim View Post
if you want to turn a Scale 4 Blade by a 4Stroke, it can only be done by a Kolm in this case. Let me know if you need more information!

Tom
Hi Tom. I'll fly it with a 2-blade prop. A 3-blade or 4-blade would look great at rest but the risk of breaking them on a nose over is too high.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Ixtrim
Joined Nov 2017
141 Posts
got you ! :-)
Ixtrim is offline Find More Posts by Ixtrim

Quick Reply