logo
Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by dribbe
United States, FL, Venice
Joined May 2007
236 Posts
As long as the Aura is mounted 'orthogonally' (all 90 degree/orthogonal orientations are accommodated in the config tool) it can be mounted anywhere in the vehicle.

(CG is just a 3D reference point in space in the vehicle, but as the answer is, it doesn't matter)

Dis-regarding the Flight Mode and optional Master Gain, the number of Tx/Rx/Aura Input channels should be same or less.

Example:
Aileron with reflex is at least two channels in Tx... R Aileron, Left Aileron, (maybe extra Reflex Ch? depending if you use a present Flaperon Mix, or utilize a separate channel to do the mix?)

And two channels the Aura way... Aileron Input Ch(only 1) and Reflex Input Ch (1)

Outputs/servo ports/servos are the same either way (R control surface, L control surface)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, with Aura being so flexible and powerful, there is another way to approach it! Especially if transmitter channels or mixing capability is limited.

If you want your 'elevator to flap' mix ALWAYS on, or On with a particular Aura flight mode or modes, and don't require a separate and truly independent switch, you can follow the method shown in the 'sample Pitts Model 12' program.... for the crow brakes on the wings.... and get it for free.
-You can mix elevator into a Proxy or Phantom Aura Channel (ex CH19) using an Aura Mix. (Aura Mix Tab)
-You can make this mix work on some or all flight modes (Aura Mix Tab)
-You can then set that 'Proxy' Channel as a second Source for your ailerons on the servo ports tab while adjusting volume and direction. (Aura Servo Ports Tab)
-Now you will have a select-able Elevator to 'flaperon or spoileron/reflex' mix with NO need for a reflex channel.
No additional Tx/Rx/Aura input channels are needed to execute Elevator to Aileron Reflex. Uses the 1 aileron, 1 elevator, and if desired the Flight Mode data only.... so it is 'free'.

(If you just want it always on, no need for a Proxy channel and Mix, just set elevator as a second source to each aileron port with or without elevator gyro data.... No reflex channel data needed.)
Pitts file can be downloaded and studied (Mix 1, Servo ports for Ailerons, etc) A description is on the page.
http://www.flexinnovations.com/index...a-config-files

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Last edited by dribbe; 11-24-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by bob_nj
United States, NJ, Vineland
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
In my post above I said;
Quote:
There were some models that I liked to use "Reflex" on a switch
In your explanation you mention this -->
[quote][/If you want your 'elevator to flap' mix ALWAYS on, or On with a particular Aura flight mode or modes, and don't require a separate and truly independent switchQUOTE]

I guess my point was that previously I did not have to have it always on, and it was on an independent switch.

Quote:
Dis-regarding the Flight Mode and optional Master Gain, the number of Tx/Rx/Aura Input channels should be same or less
Here I was trying to say that after using two channels for Flight Mode and Master Gain, with my 8 channel receiver I am left with one channel to set up reflex.
Then I'm out of mixes if I'm reading it right.

Anyway, again, not knocking, just trying to comprehend.

I just got the Extra a few minutes ago.
Hopefully I can find some time to set that up as my first plane instead of the foamy.
I didn't think it would arrive so soon.
Falcon is FAST!

I'll keep plugging away, and you keep being patient (--:

Take care
Bob
bob_nj is offline Find More Posts by bob_nj
Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by dribbe
United States, FL, Venice
Joined May 2007
236 Posts
So taranis plus s.bus is only 8 channels of data? Good to know.
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Old 11-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
Please don't take that for gospel.
I have never used SBUS, don't understand it, and don't want you to give the wrong impression.

It may behoove all of us if you post a question here since you are the Grand Poo Pa!
--> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post33277647
Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
FRSKy "X" series receivers all deliver 16 channels through the SBUS.

X4R is 3 PWM Channels or 16 SBUS Channels
X6R is 6 PWM or 16 SBUS Channels
X8R is 8 PWM Channels or 16 SBUS channels

SBUS is always on and always sending the 16 channels.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/category.php?cate_id=17

X8R manual located here: http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/down.php?id=102
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Last edited by JoeT; 11-24-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
That's what I am ignorant about Joe.
How the 16 channels are used.
So it takes a special "device" hooked to the receiver making the 16 available?
The 16 channels are driven through the "Mixes" screen in the transmitter?
In the case of X8R, are the second set of 8 channels used for things other than flight controls?
Can they be used for mixes somehow?

I'm waiting for the light to come on.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Hi Bob,

Think of the 16 channels as circuits that are capable of running a servo. All 16 channels means is that you can run 16 servos.

SBUS is just a transmission medium for the signal (white wire) and a means to get power to the servos (red and black wire).

The reality is, you don't want to push heavy amps over a single cable, so yes, you can add an SBUS hub to power the servos near where the control surfaces are.

The futaba method is to assign a "number" to each one of the servos, and each of these numbers correspond to the channel. Example: Channel 1 = servo 1, channel 2 = servo 2 but you can also put the same number on 2 servos, therefore it acts the same as the twin numbered servo. Note: This requires a special kind of servo called SBUS Servos, since they need an ID.

The beauty of something like the Aura 8 is that the SBUS decoder is built into the unit, and you can actually configure Port 1 through to port 8 to correspond to the first 8 channels coming out of the SBUS port of the receiver and use regular PWM servos.

A device like this: https://alofthobbies.com/xps-x10-channel-expander.html

Allows the decoding of all 10 channels from the SBUS into PWM so you can use regular or digital servos, and power them from a separate power source. There is firmware on the X10 which allows you to enable all 10 ports if you want in numerical sequence to correspond to the FRSKY channels.

Mixing is just mixing, the ability to take channels and have them react a specific manner when input to one is presented.

I don't think you're ignorant, just uninformed for now.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
Thanks for the compassion Joe.
You've been helpful and very kind.

I'm on it!

Have a good holiday!
Bob
Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Ok, up here in the great white north, we had a break in the weather, the skies are blue and the sun is shining and it's a balmy 42 - 45 degrees outside with a 10mph breeze with minor gusts.

Had about 5 flights on a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk (test plane).
This plane weighs 8 lbs, and is about 25+ years old, and was converted to electric.

Aura FC8 installed total about 7 flights.

First Impressions:
Totally Underwhelming which is good. It's non intrusive, and does a fantastic job doing what it's intended to do, "To make the plane feel rock solid".

It accomplishes the mission very well.
I left the compensation at the default levels, have 3 positions on the switch (off / low / medium)

Flying the Chipmunk with it off, the plane flies predictable, and if anyone knows the Chipmunk, it has a behavior that makes the tail wag (yaw) in normal flight, initiating a turn and leveling off.

With the Gyro on, this wiggle is no longer visible. The plane tracks as straight as an arrow, and it actually made the plane feel like an old fashioned pattern plane. It just tracked.

My friend and I had a good laugh, because the exit out of a snap was almost neck breaking, meaning, when you want to stop the plane from a snap roll, just neutralize the sticks and the wings stop "NOW". It made doing Knife Edge to Knife Edge snaps a breeze.

Knife edges, there is normally a lot of roll coupling with the CG Chipmunk, due to the dihedral. With the gyro on, regardless of low or medium position, knife edges were made easier, and the roll coupling was minimized greatly.

Just for fun, I pulled a HIgh G loop to see what it would do at FULL throttle. Just elevator input, no rudder for correction, no aileron correction. With the gyro Disabled the plane would want to roll out slightly and requires quite a bit of right rudder stick to track straight through a loop.

With the gyro enabled, the wings stayed level, and even with a 30 degree cross wind, it tracked pretty straight. Note I made no rudder or aileron corrections on purpose to see what it does.

Landings are a breeze, Chipmunks are easy to land, but somehow the gyro made it prettier.

Overall, yes, Underwhelmed, but happy with the setup and performance of the gyro.

It may not be usefull on anything larger than a 50cc plane, but it will certainly help with high wingloading scale planes for sure.

More observations to follow.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Oh, another observation (forgot to mention). The Chipmunk is FAR from a 3D plane, but just for fun I wanted to see if it would do a hands off hover.

The answer is "NO".. LOL This is not a heading hold Gyro it's a Rate (of change) Gyro. Plus the rudder on this plane, though large is kind of ineffective, and the throws are minimal.

But, it does a nice semi Harrier with no wing rock, pretty cool.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
Anyone set up a QQ Extra on the Taranis?

I'm stuck
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj View Post
I'm stuck
Stuck at what?

Oh, I also forgot to mention, that the Tuck In on a knife edge was all but eliminated on the Chipmunk.. Pretty neat actually.

On 50cc and higher planes, since they are inherantly more stable, the Aura will absolutely help with precision in manoeuvres. It'll make the plane track like it's on rails more than it already does.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
I'm trying to use the Taranis QQ Extra config file from Flex, but it doesn't seem to be working.
They offer an Auto Connect .scf which I can't use because I want to use PWM, and a Pro .acf which the Extra is not. It is a special Aura just for the Extra.

Should I just convert it to a Pro and start over?
Should I update to version 1.2 first?
The plane is delivered on version 1.1

Frustrated again.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Send me your config and an explanation of what you're trying to configure. I need to know what the plane is and the channel number of your servos and what each is assigned to.

I'll create an .acf file for you so all you'd need to do is to hopefully do the Transmitter learn, Trims and Servo Reverse if required.

No promises, because it's not easy to do remotely.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts
That's the thing.
This is the Extra sold by Flex who makes the Aura
It ships expecting Spektrum or the like, and SBUS.

I'm not using Spektrum or SBUS so the config files they supply don't really apply.
For the Extra they offer Auto Detect which needs SBUS, or Aura Pro which the Extra does not have.

Here are the two files. I had to change the extension to send them.
Hopefully if you change them back they will work.
If not, they are on the site here -> http://www.flexinnovations.com/index...a-config-files

I haven't linked up yet so I don't really have much info.
Here's what the firmware manual suggests for PWM on page two at the bottom;
-> (S1) to Rx Ail (S2) to Rx Ele (S3) to Rx Rud (S4) to Rx Rud (S5) to Rx Ch5

Thanks for the effort
Bob

Quick Reply