logo
This thread is privately moderated by funboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Discussion
Funboy flight log III

My passion for model airplanes knows no bounds- I have been flying since I was 11 years old when we launched my first Gentle Lady polyhedral glider. I was hooked. I have always loved and been around general aviation, especially when I was a kid. My father and uncle built a Rutan Dragonfly in the garage when I was very young, and will always love the smell of polyester resin! They later built an RV-6 that we flew until just a few years ago when it was sold. N151DF was the registration number, and I always loved the "151 Delta Foxtrot turning left downwind runway 11- Longmont" when we communicated with local traffic.

I have been involved in glow pattern, electric, slope, thermal duration, giant scale gas, IMAC, warbirds, scale, and 3D flying. Aerobatics are my real passion- but I love just about anything with wings. I have about 1,500+ hours of RC flight time when you count simulator time. I am a trim carpenter by trade, and I sometimes build airplanes for fellow modelers to supplement my own hobby.

I also promote the Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown. Every year we have more fantastic pilots attending, and I spend months preparing for each event. This year we have professionally made graphics, stickers, and T-shirts will be available. Here is our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/groups/319586104742253/

I have another flight log, but the demographics of my "home" site have been changing. The guys I "came up with" have mostly faded away, and no longer post there. The rest are mid-westerners - nice guys, but my exposure there is limited. East Coast guys have better things to do then pay attention to "The Colorado thread" as others have called it. I have well over 100 pages of posts, and lots of pictures. Here is the link http://www.teamflyingcircus.com/foru...-log-vii-1266/ It's nice to see TFC links are allowed here now- it wasn't always so.

I decided to create a new flight log over here- As I continue flying, building, and promoting this thread will grow.

Here are a few choice pics from my adventures to date:
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Last edited by funboy; 05-29-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by Show871
Joined Oct 2007
1,776 Posts
What up Cody this thread will be the place to be

Are you camping out for the throwdown? How is the facility for this?
Show871 is offline Find More Posts by Show871
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Oh yes- there will be camping! Admittedly, this is a smaller venue than Arvada, but there are area's available for tents next to the pit area's, and on the South West side of the parking lot. Our friend Dennis the Menace will be directing what goes where- but if you go to the map: http://www.coloradorcevents.com/?q=content/maps you will see there are some open area's that would work out nicely. I would like it better if the fence wasn't right next to the parking lot- that would be a great spot to pop tents and fly from at night. I will be sleeping in my trailer!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by Show871
Joined Oct 2007
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
Oh yes- there will be camping! Admittedly, this is a smaller venue than Arvada, but there are area's available for tents next to the pit area's, and on the South West side of the parking lot. Our friend Dennis the Menace will be directing what goes where- but if you go to the map: http://www.coloradorcevents.com/?q=content/maps you will see there are some open area's that would work out nicely. I would like it better if the fence wasn't right next to the parking lot- that would be a great spot to pop tents and fly from at night. I will be sleeping in my trailer!
Cool, I regretably have not flown this season....I am looking forward to making up for it that weekend! I will make sure what ever I bring to sleep in has good locks I hear those western slope guys get touchy feely when the lights are off
Show871 is offline Find More Posts by Show871
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
IMAC contest day one- started out hot and calm, ended wet and windy! JC EVO 120 ran good- I leaned it out, and with an NX G3 27X10 I got 5,750 RPM. Flew the Super Cub 3 rounds- only really messed up one or two maneuvers. Last look at the standings I was 3rd out of 6 pilots in Sportsman.

I had a blast in the freestyle- Hunter said it's the best he's seen me fly that plane. I got in a couple tail slides, some torque rolls, KE passes, inverted flight, outside loops, square loops, and the like. A few snaps- a couple 8 point rolls, etc... Not to mention- lots of DOD pylon turns!

The weather turned, and it started getting breezy. Pilots were throwing in the towel wholesale. Hunter and I were not discouraged, and we both went up and flew the piss out of our airplanes. We both landed safely. After the wind really picked up I went up again, just as a gust front and some rain came through. I was not discouraged, and the rain felt nice after such a hot morning! Thanks to TOM and SSG for grabbing the Cub when she landed! Muchas Gracias!

Anyway- lots of fun, and a decent unknown to fly tomorrow, so that should be fun too...
Last edited by funboy; 06-03-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: more pics!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Today was a hot one! In the IMAC contest unknowns I did not do very well- I think I zeroed at least two maneuvers, probably three. I may have flubbed a couple in the knowns as well. I started out the day in 2nd place Sportsman, but by the end of the contest I dropped 3 places to 5th out of 7. The scores were very tight- something like 30 points separated the top 5 competitors.

On a brighter note, and much to my surprise- against two very competent 3D pilots flying state of the art airframes and power plants (including Hunter) I flew the 'lil 'ol Super Cub that could to FIRST in the freestyle! I'm still in disbelief. From what the judges and spectators I spoke to told me- I had the most dynamic, and choreographed flights of the two days. Definitely NOT the most technical, fast, or violent flight! But I did try to string everything together, and I must admit I did a decent snake to Conan the Barbarian's soundtrack- the Orgy to be specific, a KE loop, some KE turns, rudder turns, point rolls to the music, square loops, a decent tail slide, some low fast pylon turns, fast tight as hell loops, and I finished everyone off with a decent low torque roll, and maybe another low WOT KE pass... The club photographer said he got some nice pictures from yesterday, and he said he would send me some when he can- when I get them you can bet I'll be posting them! God I wish we had video...

Here is the music I flew to- Take a nice listen- what a beautiful piece! Perfect for the snake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeyMX...layer_embedded
Last edited by funboy; 06-03-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Today was a good day! Got the new Bowman rings in my Super Cub last night, and got about 1-1/2 gallons through the motor today doing some IMAC practice. Engine runs better then ever- I needed to lean it about 1/4 turn from where it was to stop the burble. It's definitely generating more power now then it did with 8 gallons though with the stock rings!

And, I received my FIRST EVER new gas airframe- 1/3 World Models Clipped wing Cub! The LHS had a cost+ deal for club members. They quoted me $670 delivered with tax, then told me it was $725 over the phone. I showed up with $800 cash, and the total with a roll of covering and some 1/3 Cub wheels came to $850 something... After some haggling they let me out the door for what I had brought with me- they were bummed they didn't make more, and I was bummed it was $100 more then I was quoted. But, in the end, it's worth it.

Hey- if anyone is reading this- is this blog set up so that every Blog entry is supposed to be a new thread? That doesn't make ANY sense to me at all. Honestly- if you have to post a new thread to get "bumped" what's the point? Seems like an awful waste to start a thread for every day's flying, or new toy, or whatever... Just doesn't make sense...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Bad day...
Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by jimmacd