Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by Stsguy
I can't spell RID
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2015
67 Posts
Help!
Identify please

I just rescued this big beautiful beast from a slow and painful death sitting in a trailer .. i got the wings but no horizontal stabs .. a team flying cirkus sticker is on the plane .....as shown..

It would be nice to find the original stabs for her lol stranger things have happened. But 1st I need to find out who made her.. a composite fuse and wings 53.5 per wing plus 13.5 at wing tube thru fuse totaling 120.5 wingspan 3.0607meters or 3060.7mm for those schooled outside of the US and the fuse comes in about 110 inches long. Or 2794mm ( measured cowl off so maybe off a smidge) The wings are built up

The canopy has embossed faux screw heads around the perimeter...very nice looking.. I might add.. the man I reduced her from said he thought it came out of Florida

any help would be great
Stsguy is offline Find More Posts by Stsguy
Last edited by Stsguy; 07-02-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
It looks like a Lion Air Extra 260. Look for to have a 121" wing and be 109" long. 150-180cc would be great. They were even flown on 212cc 4 holers.

TFC is another web forum. Loads of people supported it. It is still active. It was started on the West Coast.

Show some interior pics.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Flying Circus was the original name of this forum. Its one of those (urban legends?) that the founders of the Circus had a falling out and one of them split off and claimed rights to the name... so they renamed this place Giants.

Another oldie but goodie was DownOnTheDeck.

This was in the days of Wild Hare and AeroWorks and Carden..... When DA only made 3 engines and an HS5945 was a powerful servo.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 07-02-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM
I can't spell RID
Joined Jul 2015
67 Posts
leading edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
It looks like a Lion Air Extra 260. Look for to have a 121" wing and be 109" long. 150-180cc would be great. They were even flown on 212cc 4 holers.

TFC is another web forum. Loads of people supported it. It is still active. It was started on the West Coast.

Show some interior pics.
Since all 3d planes IMO are similar so I look at the leading edge of the wings..... so far I've been able to determine between extra and edge this way. There is no rake on this one.. leading me to say its a 540.. the span is after a closer check is 120.5
in inches its 53.5 per panel and 13.5 wide at the wing tube thru fuse... Did they make a 540 also?
Old 07-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
No, Lion Air, atleast I dont think, made an Edge. If the wings double taper, its an Extra. You have to put the wings on the airframe. It is nearly impossible to tell if its a single taper or double taper wing, unless it is on the fuselage.

I promise you, its a Lion Air Extra 260. Its an older Patty Wagstaff paint acheme.

Again, show some interior pics.

http://www.aircraftinternational.com.../TechLion.aspx
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 07-03-2020, 05:39 PM
I can't spell RID
Joined Jul 2015
67 Posts
I installed the wings it the right plane think you so much ... now hope they have some elevators LOL
Old 07-03-2020, 10:59 PM
I can't spell RID
Joined Jul 2015
67 Posts
wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
No, Lion Air, atleast I dont think, made an Edge. If the wings double taper, its an Extra. You have to put the wings on the airframe. It is nearly impossible to tell if its a single taper or double taper wing, unless it is on the fuselage.

I promise you, its a Lion Air Extra 260. Its an older Patty Wagstaff paint acheme.

Again, show some interior pics.

http://www.aircraftinternational.com.../TechLion.aspx
I tried to check the rate with a tool off the plane but it wasn't long enough to read the slight rake .. when I installed the wings it was not as the 540
Having a slight rake.. which I'm hoping leads to good news. Not having the org elevators isn't the end of the world since we can make them but stock is always better..
The cowl needs a little repair firm laying around but the rest of the bird is spotless.
Such an awesome bird she is ... i would hate to see this plane not find her way back under a prop pumping smoke off her tail.. .. thank-you for all the information. I still learn something everyday in this hobby..especially since im older and forget everything by days end

Quick Reply