logo
Old 10-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by jkepps
United States, MD, Greenbelt
Joined Mar 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
Newbie question: Do/should I use an expansion/distribution box with Futaba 7014SB

Did a search, didn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I purchased a used 40% Carden Cap 232, without electronics other than servos. This plane was setup for 72Mhz, with dual receivers.

Engine is a 3W 150 Power Meister (if that matters).

This is my first time setting up a plane of this size.
I'm planning on using a single Futaba 7014SB receiver with dual batteries and switches, radio is a 14SG.

I don't fly 3D, nor do I intend to. I would like to do some IMAC flying though.

As I've done research, I've seen many builds both with and without a power distribution box like a PowerBox, or Electro Dynamics EDR-111, Smartfly Power Expander, etc ...

My question is, and I know "to each his own" and I don't want to start a war, but I'm wondering, taking into account best practices, modern R/C radios/receivers, etc ..., how fool hardy would it be to not use a power distribution box on this plane?

Thanks in advance,

-Jorden
jkepps is offline Find More Posts by jkepps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-22-2020, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
You're going to get a lot of answers on this. Personally I think 2 packs, 2 switches into the RX are all you need.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by thewooster
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2013
286 Posts
Judge is correct, keep it simple and the power distribution is just another point of failure. Nowadays, components are more reliable and straight forward..best of luck!
thewooster is offline Find More Posts by thewooster
Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Keep in mind the JR style connectors into each receiver are rated for 5 amps. A modern servo like a Futaba BLS 172 or a Savox 2290 draw 5-6 amps, each (at stall). I see over 20 amps on a snap in the telemetry.
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Power distributions work perfectly as advertised... but there is no need for them in our models... if you like the nifty bling and it makes you feel good.. then by all means use them.. nothing wrong with that..
but I'm in the "not needed" camp
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 10-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Power distributions work perfectly as advertised... but there is no need for them in our models...
I have long considered them an eloquent solution to a non-existent problem.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by jkepps
United States, MD, Greenbelt
Joined Mar 2009
7 Posts
Thanks for the replies! That definitely helps!
jkepps is offline Find More Posts by jkepps
Old 10-23-2020, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
I'm on the KISS method as well (keep it simple stupid) otherwise we're just creating another point of failure as previously mentioned, and can just add not-needed weight. Most setups with crazy redundancy and bonus features are from overthinking everything. It's more important to know and trust your equipment at what it's rated for. I've really grown fond of the Booma RC Multiswitches for adding dual power inputs.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 10-24-2020, 03:51 AM
Find More Posts by FSki
United Kingdom, England, Newent
Joined Jan 2019
25 Posts
As ghoffman notes a standard servo connector is good for 5-6 amps, so with twin batteries you'd be best to plug them both into the receiver directly rather than through a single connector. Doesn't matter if you Y lead the batteries in with the servos if that makes the wiring easier.

One of the things some of the Powerbox units can do is allow you to have multiple receivers positioned to ensure complete radio reception coverage in all orientations (to avoid signal blocking by the engine, batteries etc.) By using the SBus connection you can even mount the receivers remotely from the Powerbox unit, e.g. one receiver under the canopy and a 2nd in the tail. If one of the receivers gets blocked (or fails) then the Powerbox will switch to the other. It just reduces the chance of a failure from very unlikely to extremely unlikely.
FSki is offline Find More Posts by FSki
Old 10-24-2020, 06:43 AM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
595 Posts
I have several 40% planes set up with just batteries and switches. My newest plane is set up with the XPS 24. I really like the auto match for all my control surface servo’s and running redundant futaba rx through sbus. It also has built in ibec for my ignition. I’ve done it both ways and I think I’ll stick with this very simple unit.
jlc is offline Find More Posts by jlc
Old 03-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by gmorales83
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
714 Posts
The installs of many 50-150 cc planes today are so enormously complex it hurts to look. HV receiver and servos, 1 or 2 batteries, HD switch, and IBEC for the ignition....go fly.

GM
gmorales83 is offline Find More Posts by gmorales83
Old 03-24-2021, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
Dooh, how many times? And still the same song ... ignorance is bliss.
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Old 03-24-2021, 12:45 PM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,152 Posts
I've run most or the popular combinations from simple to what some might consider overly-complex in dozens of 35-40% models over the years, utilizing Futaba TX/RX. I've never had a failure or tangible issue with any of them. That said, what I've settled on as a matter of preference is the Smart Fly Power Expander and TA IBEC combo. Why? I like running large gauge (14-16awg) battery wires with a Deans connector directly to the PE and utilizing their Failsafe switch. When not in use I unplug the batteries directly from the PE, which is also how I charge -- directly to the battery. No physical switches, no regulators, less physical connection points, clean wiring, etc.. I have a few models where the batteries are 24-36" away from the RX due to the balance. Also, back when I was primarily running programmable Hitec servos I would match say the 2-3 aileron servos per side so I only needed to utilize 2 independent channels, and the PE eliminates Y connections in that scenario.
AHP is offline Find More Posts by AHP
Old 03-26-2021, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
I bought a used 40 % yak with about 30 flights on it that was set up with dual batteries, a fromeco switch an a single receiver. Both power wires to the receiver were crispy. 10-12 digital servos can pull a lot of current..
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla

Quick Reply