logo
Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by Bipenut
United States, WA, Grand Coulee
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Discussion
Confusing problem with Savox SV-1270TG's

I had a very strange thing happen today with my EF 91 Extra. I'll try to make this brief. Quick background on the plane, as of this morning I have had 5 and a half flights on the airframe. It is set up with 2 two cell lipo 2650mah batteries feeding a Fromeco Wolverine switch feeding dual power into my AR-8000 receiver and I have Savox 1270TG servos on all control surfaces. All new items except the receiver which was a year old and never crashed or abused in any way. This morning when I was flying it I did a couple blenders and a knife edge spin into a flat spin and then I went back up and tried a half cuban 8 and while pulling up I noticed the airplane rolled left enough that it rolled out of the maneuver. So I tried it again, same result. So I did a harrier down and went into a hover at that point I noticed that only the left elevator was working so I immediately landed and shut of the engine but left the power on to the receiver. The right elevator half was locked in about a 20 degree down position. I checked all the connectors at the receiver and all were in and tight. The left elevator half was working just fine. I did do a rebind on the receiver and still no right elevator half working. So I emptied the fuel tank, took the wings off and brought the plane home and put it on my stand. I then powered it up, moved the elevator stick on my DX-8 and still no movement on the right half but now all you could hear was the left elevator half servo spinning internally with no movement on the elevator, obviously stripped gears.... BUT HOW??? Since it sits in my truck with a canopy on the 10 mile trip home and no incidents or brake slams, basically an uneventful trip home. So now I'm getting frustrated!! I have never had one problem with Savox servos, ever! Not to say they cant have problems... I can move the right elevator half and you can feel the gears working inside but I cant get it to move with the transmitter no matter what channel I plug it in to, and the left elevator is just plain stripped. Question is...... What would be YOUR next step? I thought about replacing the servos but I have all the SWB arms that fit Futaba spline, I dont want to replace those, I also thought about replacing the two bad servos and buying an AR9110 power safe receiver in case that caused the stripping and the burnt out servo but all power was disconnected on the way home, how did that servo strip? Obviously I got lucky today but now Im a bit apprehensive to trust ANY servos......... Very puzzled......
Bipenut is offline Find More Posts by Bipenut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,892 Posts
how long are the servo arms? this is strage and Savox will take care of it. maybe the arms are too long and in flight got to be too much pressure? without taking the servo apart its hard to know whats going on
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by vegasking1961
Team 3DRC Hobbies
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
1,207 Posts
MKS HV777 servos use Futaba arms.
vegasking1961 is offline Find More Posts by vegasking1961
Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
I used the recommended 2" SWB servo arms. Recommended by Extreme Flight.....
Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,054 Posts
I recently had a jr 8411 that did the same thing. I just replaced it.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 04-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Update: Just got the servos out of the elevators and the servo I thought had stripped gears actually doesn't. All gears are fine it is just the center gear with large gear on top and small gear on the bottom, the small gear on bottom free wheels on the shaft..... and the servo that quit moving in flight smells burnt inside
Last edited by Bipenut; 04-21-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasking1961 View Post
MKS HV777 servos use Futaba arms.

Hey, I can read between the lines............................... Good one.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by wolfpack21643
I Fly The Ghetto Bird
United States, MD, Hurlock
Joined Jun 2013
59 Posts
I would chalk it up to one of those things that just occurs. Send the servo back for repair and be glad that the RC Gods let you get your plane back safe and sound. I think just about every plane has an issue early on so hopefully this was yours. I just had my new 35% H9 Extra (45 flights) with it's new Spektrum AR 9110 RX go bad. The RX stopped pulling batt power on one leg so I was happy to not wreck the plane and sent the RX back to Horizon.

I read some where that the first 50 flights of a new giant scale is where the bulk of your problems are going to occur and if you make it through that flight count your pretty much good to go and can breath a little eaiser. I think that's correct, I keep flight logs on my planes and the major problems are always within the first 50 flights.
wolfpack21643 is offline Find More Posts by wolfpack21643
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack21643 View Post
I would chalk it up to one of those things that just occurs. Send the servo back for repair and be glad that the RC Gods let you get your plane back safe and sound. I think just about every plane has an issue early on so hopefully this was yours. I just had my new 35% H9 Extra (45 flights) with it's new Spektrum AR 9110 RX go bad. The RX stopped pulling batt power on one leg so I was happy to not wreck the plane and sent the RX back to Horizon.

I read some where that the first 50 flights of a new giant scale is where the bulk of your problems are going to occur and if you make it through that flight count your pretty much good to go and can breath a little eaiser. I think that's correct, I keep flight logs on my planes and the major problems are always within the first 50 flights.
I agree with you, and I am very happy I was able to land it safe and sound for sure! It is about time I got on the good side of luck! Lol
Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipenut View Post
Update: Just got the servos out of the elevators and the servo I thought had stripped gears actually doesn't. All gears are fine it is just the center gear with large gear on top and small gear on the bottom, the small gear on bottom free wheels on the shaft..... and the servo that quit moving in flight smells burnt inside
So on the servo with the slipping gears, are you saying there is basically a gear which is built by pressing a small gear into a larger gear and where they are pressed together has spun out and and they now spin separately?

If that is the case, this sounds very familiar and I recall someone posting that they had multiple 1270TGs fail in this fashion and as a result removed them all from their airplanes.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 AM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
So on the servo with the slipping gears, are you saying there is basically a gear which is built by pressing a small gear into a larger gear and where they are pressed together has spun out and and they now spin separately?

If that is the case, this sounds very familiar and I recall someone posting that they had multiple 1270TGs fail in this fashion and as a result removed them all from their airplanes.

Wayne
Yes exactly Wayne, the bottom smaller gear is driven and it should drive the top gear if they were still one...
Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,252 Posts
I don't know if you got these from Brian Emeson or not, but I'd be curious to hear his take on it. I may forward this link to him. I have 1270's on a 91 Yak, 91 Extra, 104 Extra and 105 Edge. I'm approaching 500 flights across them all, and haven't have any real issues to speak of.
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 04-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
I was comfortable with Savox servos when I purchased them, and no I'm now sorry I didn't purchase them from Brian as the dealer I have gotten from is sub par. I have Savor servos though out my Reactor and I have close to 100 flights on them with no issues.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by bemeson
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipenut View Post
I was comfortable with Savox servos when I purchased them, and no I'm now sorry I didn't purchase them from Brian as the dealer I have gotten from is sub par. I have Savor servos though out my Reactor and I have close to 100 flights on them with no issues.

Bipenut
I am sorry I did not respond earlier as I have been out with a minor medical issue. I have seen one other 1270 servo with the identical issue. Take a look on the side of the metal case and there is some numbers embossed on the case. These are the manufacturing date. If your dealer is not taking care of you go to Savox USA and go to the warranty page. Fill out a RMA form and send back to them. Make sure you tell them that the spur gear slipped off main gear in notes of complaint. They should replace it if the servo is under warranty. If you run into any problems please PM and I will try to assist you. I am so sorry that your dealer is not taking care of you. Make sure you tell Savox USA about the problems you are having with the dealer. If you want send me a PM with the dealers name and I will speak with the wholesale dealer and alert them to the poor practices of your dealer

Thanks
Brian
bemeson is offline Find More Posts by bemeson
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Thank you Brian, I was planning on getting a hold of Savox USA today and get this taken care of and I did see the date code on the side of the servo but dont remember what it is right now, I will post it in a while although both servos have the same date code. I am also concerned with the servo that appears to be burnt up, burnt smell from inside... As far as the dealer it is a LHS that I formerly spent a considerable amount of money with that I will let my lack of dollars spent with them speak. I know they will notice. I am not looking to get them in trouble but as they depend on luxury dollars being spent in their direction they will not get mine in the future.

Quick Reply