logo
Old 01-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by Marvan Maxwell
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Build Log
Mark's Mile High 300ML

This is a Dalton 300 ML for a customer of mine . It is built to his Specification. It will have a DA 200 In it, And a JR X-BUS system in it. I am not going to do a step buy step build , but will add pictures as we move along .
Hope you enjoy this first Part.

Thanks
Van
Marvan Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Marvan Maxwell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,020 Posts
Looks great so far Van! I can't wait to see how good it looks when it's all finished.
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Servo trays in the Stabs & Servo wires lead outs are cut and filled.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,177 Posts
Van, did your motor box sides come with that hole already in it, this is a hole that allows you to set the incidence for the forward wing bolt?

it allow you to use a long 1/4" drill bit from one side of the fuselage to the opposite side wing root (forgive me If you already know this, I am sure you probably do).

Reason I ask, the first Dalton i built, back in 2013, it had many openings in this area.

The recent Dalton that I built, I was un-aware, and once it was all built up and it was time to set the incidence, I noticed there was no hole at all, so I had to make a hole myself, which is no where near as pretty as yours!

SO was that hole there?

also, You may want to look at your wings. I believe the wings are newer design, which means, they are shifted back by 1 to 1.5 inches.

This can significantly change things, when the time comes to glue in the hard points. On the recent dalton, the hard point was at the leading edge, and I mean, it had no room at all. I really did not like this.

If you can, place the right wing on, and see where the hard point would end up on the forward aspect of the wing.

The solution or fix, is to now, drill the hole on each side of FSS, about 1 inch back, this will place your hard point surrounded by foam, and in a more workable place.

Let me know what you find. It all depends which wings you got.
orthobird is online now Find More Posts by orthobird
Last edited by orthobird; 01-03-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 PM
I hammer at 1500 feet
Joined Apr 2012
8,177 Posts
Hi Van, this is where the hard point went on the old wings:
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 PM
I hammer at 1500 feet
Joined Apr 2012
8,177 Posts
here is where it goes on the new wings:
Old 01-03-2016, 11:16 PM
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
here is where it goes on the new wings:
Sent you a private message.

But thank you for the heads up, I will look in to in the morning. Will let you know then . I have a 42% Dalton 260 and my wings are like your old wings .

Thank You
Van
Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 AM
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
Van, did your motor box sides come with that hole already in it, this is a hole that allows you to set the incidence for the forward wing bolt?

it allow you to use a long 1/4" drill bit from one side of the fuselage to the opposite side wing root (forgive me If you already know this, I am sure you probably do).

Reason I ask, the first Dalton i built, back in 2013, it had many openings in this area.

The recent Dalton that I built, I was un-aware, and once it was all built up and it was time to set the incidence, I noticed there was no hole at all, so I had to make a hole myself, which is no where near as pretty as yours!

SO was that hole there?

also, You may want to look at your wings. I believe the wings are newer design, which means, they are shifted back by 1 to 1.5 inches.

This can significantly change things, when the time comes to glue in the hard points. On the recent dalton, the hard point was at the leading edge, and I mean, it had no room at all. I really did not like this.

If you can, place the right wing on, and see where the hard point would end up on the forward aspect of the wing.

The solution or fix, is to now, drill the hole on each side of FSS, about 1 inch back, this will place your hard point surrounded by foam, and in a more workable place.

Let me know what you find. It all depends which wings you got.
Sunday 11:00pm Man I just had to go look. You are right there is no holes in the motor box sides and Yes my wings are just like yours. So this is what I am going to do
I am going to take a 1inch Forster Bit and drill a hole in the motor box sides ( I have not done the sheeting on the Fuse Sides yet) . Then add a piece of 1/4 light ply to the fuse sides , moving the front wing incidence hole back about 1to 2 inches .This will fix it. I will post pictures when done.

Thanks for the heads up !!
Van
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 AM
I hammer at 1500 feet
Joined Apr 2012
8,177 Posts
You are quite welcome, I wanted you to know this before you sheet the fuselage sides. then it becomes more difficult to do.

Okey Van., one more issue, and this is, with regards to the placement of the servo boxes in the wings, and the location for the tunnel you will make for the servo leads from the ailerons to the fuselage. IF you do this according to plans, the hole in the root of the wing will end up right at the former F3. Now, if you shift the tunnel back a bit, by 3/4", you will end up having the leads enter behind F3, but now, the distance from the hinge line to the tunnel (in the wing) is very narrow, and the foam there will be thin, so when you insert your point hinges, the glue will enter the tunnel, and can make it difficult to pass the servo leads thru.

What I did, is, I made the tunnel forward of the servo box, instead of on the rear aspect of the servo box. This will place your hole on the wing, forward to F3, and all will be well.

Again, the reason I am mentioning this, is, If you build your wings according to plans, in respect to these points, you may have a snag.

Just pre-plan this and look at this 1st, so you do not make the mistakes I made.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvan Maxwell View Post
Sunday 11:00pm Man I just had to go look. You are right there is no holes in the motor box sides and Yes my wings are just like yours. So this is what I am going to do
I am going to take a 1inch Forster Bit and drill a hole in the motor box sides ( I have not done the sheeting on the Fuse Sides yet) . Then add a piece of 1/4 light ply to the fuse sides , moving the front wing incidence hole back about 1to 2 inches .This will fix it. I will post pictures when done.

Thanks for the heads up !!

Van
OK here is the fix for the front wing incidence holes. I moved there location back 11/4 inch, drilled a hole in the motor box sides. Now you can set the correct location for the incidence with a drill from one side of the fuse to the other side.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,020 Posts
Looking great Van! Thanks Cam for the heads up on the Anti-Rotation pins, that would have been a difficult fix down the road.

For those of you who are curious, here are a couple pictures of what She'll look like when finished. I loved my first one so much I knew I had to have another just like it!

Mark
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 01-05-2016, 04:56 AM
Find More Posts by JIMZACH
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
Looking great Van! Thanks Cam for the heads up on the Anti-Rotation pins, that would have been a difficult fix down the road.

For those of you who are curious, here are a couple pictures of what She'll look like when finished. I loved my first one so much I knew I had to have another just like it!

Mark
Mark,
I have seen pictures of that plane before and I must say that is one Killer lookin ML! I love the colors and love the scheme. Who did the paint, covering, and graphics ?

Zach
JIMZACH is offline Find More Posts by JIMZACH
Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by Beavis
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
173 Posts
Cool looking plane.
ML
Beavis is offline Find More Posts by Beavis
Old 01-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,616 Posts
I'm happy for your new bird, and glad you're keeping Van busy! We need to flashmob LoveAir sometime this summer. I haven't seen the new runway in person yet.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by vlysakowski
United States, MI, Mattawan
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
Look awesome Van! And I really love the pictures that you've posted as well.
vlysakowski is offline Find More Posts by vlysakowski

Quick Reply