Old 06-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by JIMZACH
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Build Log
Hangar 9 Extra 300 X New!!!

Hey All,
I decided to start this thread to get others that have this plane to post pictures and info, as well as document my build for others. I am surprised that there is not another thread already out there considering how awesome this plane is! I just got this last week, and am finally able to start building! I have been reading and drooling over this plane since they announced it and saw the pictures from Toledo! I had the original H9 Extra 300 and it was one of the best planes I have ever had! With this new revamp if they improved it in anyway it will be a winner. The new foam core wings, stabs, and rudder are awesome. The wings came out super light weight! The ailerons, rudder, and elevators are all now bigger and have more throw! If this plane flys as precise as the original with more control authority for 3D I will be in love. I will take as many pictures as I can as I put it together and take parts from the boxes. So far the quality is as expected from H9. Hope you enjoy! Cant wait to get this in the air!

As per my usual I took everything out of their boxes and inspected them, all was good. Nothing damaged nothing missing, I decided tonight to go ahead and start by painting the firewall and motor box like I always do. Ill had it dry by morning and will post more pictures of the contents of the ARF and work on getting the fuse up on her feet.

Zach
JIMZACH is offline Find More Posts by JIMZACH
Last edited by JIMZACH; 06-26-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by 3dfreak
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Nov 2011
618 Posts
It sure is a beautiful plane!!
3dfreak is offline Find More Posts by 3dfreak
Old 06-23-2016, 12:41 AM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfreak View Post
It sure is a beautiful plane!!
That it is, they did a great job on the scheme!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 AM
Find More Posts by cesar781
Brazil, São Paulo, Palmeira d'Oeste
Joined Mar 2007
365 Posts
Looks like it has less wood than the previus 300 one.
cesar781 is offline Find More Posts by cesar781
Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
440 Posts
It looks exactly the same as the previous one that I have by my eyeball, other than the noted improvements. I think its dimensionally the same plane and same weight, just bigger throws, better control horns, fresh new scheme. I'd be curious to see if the weight is same, more, or less.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 06-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Team Horizon
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Indeed renegade, it is basically the same platform, but it's around 3.5 lbs lighter with the new construction and foam core stabs and wings. The elevator counterbalances take it to the next level. I'm excited to try one out. Horizon really knocked it out of the park on this one.
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
283 Posts
The wood I see missing is the floor of the radio compartment, enclosing the pipe tunnel. Mine was very thin and I put my figer through it several times. Its definitely not structural.

I love this scheme so much but I had JUST finished my old style Extra when they announced this one. I just got the new style cowl, canopy, landing gear and cuffs. I have done a WrapFX from B&E that somewhat gives the feel of this. I will be covering alot of the white and silver with red. Should turn out somewhat like this. I cant to start hearing about flight characteristics. I love my old style so much. I hope this one is even better.
Mr. Scary is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
I had the last one as well, I must have had over 100 flights on it and my buddy before me had 80 flights on it. I can't wait to try it out. Looks like they lightened the canopy hatch as well. I ended up taking out half a pound out of the hatch on the last one. This plane all around is a heck of alot lighter. Added aggressiveness while keeping all the same great characteristics of the last one.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Unboxing

Alright, so I dug into the ARF again today and decided to take some pictures of the parts and accessories as they are coming out of the box. The quality of the covering is as expected from H9, only a few small wrinkles to shrink back down. The new foam core wings & stabs are beautiful! Very light weight, nice clean cut servo tunnels for the wires to run through. And I really like the new mounting method of the servo for the horizontal stab. Instead of having to insert the servo into the stab, the servo now sits on the outside, makes installation and maintenance so much easier. The landing gear of course comes pre-drilled for mounting to the fuse, as well as the mounting of the wheel pants. The cowl construction resembles that of the previous Extra 300, and the paint on the cowl, wheel pants, and canopy is outstanding. Inside the main box where the fuse is, is an accessories box. Inside are the wheel pants, gear cuffs, main wheels, axles, tail wheel kit, control horns & ball links, linkages, engine stand offs, multiple mounts for tuned pipes and/or canisters as well as the wood to block off the tunnel should you choose to run stock mufflers, and various nuts and bolts for mounting everything. Over all it is typical top notch H9 quality! Stay tuned for more!

Zach
Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Alright, to get this plane rolling I decided to start with gluing in the control horns in. Before I glue them in, as per the manual they do need to be sanded where they will be glued in place. I used a sanding disc in a dremel to make quick work of sanding them down. For now, I will only be doing the control horns for the elevators and the rudder. On the control horn for the rudder since I will only be using a single servo, I went ahead and cut off the extra side using a bandsaw. I taped them together and used the tape edge as my cut line. FYI if you decide to do this, make sure the end you cut off is the side that only has the one notch out, I will post a picture showing the difference. Also I decided I wanted to paint the control horns a scheme matching dark charcoal metallic. So I went ahead and sanded all of the control horn not just the mounting tabs at the bottom. After sanding them down I wiped them clean with a paper towel and some denatured alcohol. I then took a piece of cardboard and cut some small slits in it so the control horns could stand up while I shot the paint. I inserted them almost all the way to the mounting tab portion. This way I get paint everywhere I want it and none on the mounting tabs where I dont want it . Went ahead and laid down a relatively light coat just to get coverage and then set them aside to dry. I will get them glued in place in the morning and then sand and paint the control horns for the wings.

Zach
Old 06-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Team Horizon
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Oh that's right, carbon gear saves about a pound right there. Great pics, looking forward to the rest of the build.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Simatovic View Post
Oh that's right, carbon gear saves about a pound right there. Great pics, looking forward to the rest of the build.
The gear that comes in the kit is aluminum but really is not heavy for aluminum gear. The CF gear for the original H9 Extra 300 from graph tech will work. If they do get them back in stock I will be ordering a set.

Zach
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
566 Posts
Control Horns

Okay, so today I went ahead and glued the control horns in for the stabs and rudder and will be getting to the control horns for the wings here shortly. As mentioned earlier I did paint them and made sure they were well sanded where they will be inserted into the control surface for the glue to have good adhesion. Also, went over all the covering on the stabs and rudder to make sure everything was shrunk back tight, and tacked down in place especially where the slots are for the control horns. I went ahead and checked the fit on all the horns and made sure they lined up properly over the hinge line. Once in place with a bolt through them to keep them aligned with each other, I taped around the edges of the horns with masking tape. They explain to do this in the manual, and I choose to always do it as it makes clean up of any extra epoxy much easier. I then removed the horns and cleaned them again with alcohol and proceeded to mix up my glue. By choice I used Hysol E20HP over the standard 30 minute epoxy. I am more than sure the 30 minute epoxy would be fine, but I prefer to use the Hysol. I think it is slightly stronger and is a little thicker so it does not run down into the slots. I mixed up the amount I thought needed to glue in the three horn sets and put the glue into a syringe. I used the syringe to fill the slots for the horns up with Hysol, then apply some extra to the horns themselves and re insert them into the slots. Once that was done, I carefully removed the tape and wiped up any excess. I set them aside to dry while I got the wings out to start on them. The wings have different control horns for the servos toward the tip and root of the wing so make sure you do not glue these in the stabs. Out of all the control horns, all are the same except for 6; the 2 for the rudder which are the double horns and the 4 for the wing root. I will go over the different horns for the wings and where they go in the next post when I glue them in.

Zach
Old 06-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
361 Posts
WOW! Super neat build so far. I look forward to seeing this progress. Other than it makes my Extra look like amateur hour
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Geaux Lower!
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Oct 2010
829 Posts
I want this extra! Awesome build thread so far.
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48

Quick Reply