Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Warwix
Team AJ Aircraft
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Feb 2015
423 Posts
Discussion
IMAC participation drop

There has been a noticible drop off in IMAC membership and participation over the last few years and I am curious to try and find out why. Current IMAC members are discussing this topic on the IMAC website, but I am more interested in hearing from former members as well as potential new members that can't chime in on the other site. Just looking back a few years, here in the Flying Giants IMAC forum, there were many active participants that seems to have come to a halt.

Feel free to air out anything that comes to mind but let's try and keep it civil

Matt
Warwix is offline Find More Posts by Warwix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwix View Post
There has been a noticible drop off in IMAC membership and participation over the last few years and I am curious to try and find out why. Current IMAC members are discussing this topic on the IMAC website, but I am more interested in hearing from former members as well as potential new members that can't chime in on the other site. Just looking back a few years, here in the Flying Giants IMAC forum, there were many active participants that seems to have come to a halt.

Feel free to air out anything that comes to mind but let's try and keep it civil

Matt
A guess.... for some its "burnout"..... but mostly it is probably the economy.
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by 3dcraz
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
54 Posts
Costs are way to high. I would be very interested again if their was a class for smaller more affordable airplanes.
3dcraz is offline Find More Posts by 3dcraz
Old 09-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Joined Feb 2015
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
Does this apply to your situation?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Joined Feb 2015
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcraz View Post
Costs are way to high. I would be very interested again if their was a class for smaller more affordable airplanes.
Just for reference, what would you consider more affordable? Do you currently fly something that you feel you can't compete with?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
Not a Imac pilot but will said , almost everything is down
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 PM
tec
Find More Posts by tec
tec
Team Horizon Team BVM
Winter Park, CO
Joined Mar 2006
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcraz View Post

Basic is $15 at most CO events! We've had 6-8 pilots in each Basic contest this summer flying small electrics, 30cc gassers and one guy even flew a Aeroworks GT Trainer!
tec is offline Find More Posts by tec
Old 09-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by jraycut
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jul 2009
725 Posts
It's not just IMAC, same applies to Pattern events. I wouldn't read too much into it: it's pretty simple really;

Some want to explore other parts of the hobby
Life gets in the way
Some people do get burned out
Some people have financial hardships
For others - they feel they must have the best of the best to compete w; so they don't
jraycut is offline Find More Posts by jraycut
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by Aerobear68
Hemet Model Masters, Hemet
United States, CA, San Jacinto
Joined Jul 2013
935 Posts
I flew a few IMAC contest's earlier this year. I'm finding out I like flying freestyle( trying at least) and would rather save the money from traveling out of town and taking time off of work using vacation for Friday travel time. But that's just me.
Aerobear68 is offline Find More Posts by Aerobear68
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,837 Posts
Most people want to have fun and not compete these days for whatever reason. Look at attendance at events like Joe Nall 3D line, Huck-O-Ween and the like, they get bigger every year.

Also the belief (correct or not) among many that to be competitive you have to have a top of the line 40% airframe.

Last, again, false perception or not, I hear a lot of folks grumbling about judges taking care of their buddies and if you're not in the click you're not on the podium.

These don't represent my actual feelings, just stuff I hear and I get around.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 09-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by Aerobear68
Hemet Model Masters, Hemet
United States, CA, San Jacinto
Joined Jul 2013
935 Posts
I built a 40% Sukhoi and had all the latest and greatest in it. I started weighing the price I paid to put it together and only use it for IMAC and travel costs. I sold it and went back to a 35% Extra. Plus this forum and with videos of Joe Nall and Clover Creek 3D and freestyle. It's more exciting to see and fly.
Aerobear68 is offline Find More Posts by Aerobear68
Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Joined Feb 2015
423 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback so quickly. We have discussed many of these same potential issues on the IMAC website. However, I think it would be more constructive to hear examples that directly effected past IMAC members, (like aerobear) as to why they moved on from IMAC. Similarly, if someone new to IMAC was turned off by the process,it would be great to know the circumstances.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,580 Posts
I stopped competing when going flying felt like work instead of fun. I never went out to fly, I had to practice.

Now I fly for fun!! Plus I am very thin-skinned and do not enjoy having others point out my flaws!!
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by aarestor
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2007
1,068 Posts
I have tried for years to get the locals involved. They will practice but not participate in any thing. We have very low participation in our IMAC, Air Rally, and fun fly's. I have just learned to accept it.
aarestor is offline Find More Posts by aarestor
Old 09-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,525 Posts
I planned on doing IMAC this year but the summer just became to hot and awesome to fly. My first passion is jetsking. Not just normal Jetsking but I prefer to jump and jump high. I went to wave rave this year for a yearly jetski event. We had a storm come rolling through and it set up some killer 6'-8' rollers. My buddy and myself spend hours jumping waves. There were times where we both launched at the same time and I was looking down at him while I was in the air and he was in the air. Last week we had a nice cabin cruiser setting up an awesome wake. We spend some time jumping those. Most occasions when I was in the air I would look over to them and would be eye to eye with the people on the second story of that 40' boat. So flying took back burner this summer. I have started flying recently because the heat is starting to retreat.

I will say the best wave jumping I have done is just after a hurricane in South Carolina back in 99. So much air I have to admit I was a little nervous on the long way down.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951

Quick Reply