Find More Posts by Brian yak dude
Certified SUAS Bum
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Jul 2008
673 Posts
Build Log
PAU/Dalton Extra 300ML Assembly

Hey Everyone,

Been a while since I've done one of these, but I'm excited to be putting another plane together.

I have wanted a Dalton for YEARS, but never thought I'd own one due to my modest building abilities. Now that Herve and Tony have teamed up, I'm finally able to fulfill my dreams and own one of these beasts! I have noticed that there have been a few threads pointing out small issues found with the plane and things people were unhappy with. I hope to evaluate some of these issues, offer my opinion on reasonable expectations and solutions to what others may see as problematic. So far, I'm very impressed with what I see.

Before I go any further, I want to preface this thread with THIS IS NOT A 3D PLANE! This is a purebred precision machine. If you're looking for a lite, big surface, DOD 3D monster, this is not the plane. That should be taken into account when evaluating weights and other structural aspects.

Now! Onto the plane! I got her in yesterday in 2 HUGE boxes. Brought it home and started opening it up. Obviously it was packed nicely and all was well. I won't go too deep into all the things everyone knows. All looked good when she arrived. I have noticed that it is a strong plane. There is a LOT of wood and structure in the plane. Along with generous amounts of glass in the cowl and canopy, I believe this accounts for the weight. It's not a delicate plane by any means. I believe I could toss it around and not be worried.

Initial thoughts are:
1. It's Gorgeous!
2. It's well built
3. The hardware is up to par (I'm not sure why people seem to have issue with PAU hardware besides the bad batch. I am more than happy with what's supplied.)
4. Everything is how it should be. No warping or imperfections. The plane is (so far), perfect.

I started on it a bit this evening with the wings and stabs. I now religiously use Hysol for my hinges. It's typically stronger, I don't have to mix it and it's FAR less messy. It's more expensive, but well worth it IMO. Hinging went as well as could be expected and I now have 4 surfaces moving freely and drying.

As the build progresses, I will be weighing each individual part of the plane and add it up to a total "bare" airframe weight. I will then weigh my hardware and give a final weight at the end. I will be using digital scales throughout the entire process. I do not have much trust in fish scales personally.

The setup for the plane will be:

GP 176EVO
stock exhaust (for now)
Pulse 5000mah RX packs
Glacier 2600mah Ignition pack
Smart Fly EQ10 and opto-kill
MKS HBL599s on every surface. 2 per aileron, one on each elevator and 2 in a push pull configuration in the tail.
PAU 50oz fuel tank
Jeti radio and rx

I'm sure I will have more to say as I progress over this next week, but I hope y'all enjoy following along. I'm pretty excited!

P.S. I apologize for the way my shop looks. This is our fully fledged automotive garage where I do all my own maintenance, engine destroying and general tomfoolery. It's not beautiful workshop, but it meets my needs!
Brian yak dude is offline Find More Posts by Brian yak dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,544 Posts
Watching this one, keep the pics coming Brian.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,163 Posts
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 11-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Certified SUAS Bum
Joined Jul 2008
673 Posts
Airframe weights

L Stab: 1lb 0.0oz
R Stab: 15.7oz
Stab Tube: 1oz
Rud: 10oz
Gear: 1lb 1.3oz
Pants: 9.3oz
Wheels: 8.9oz
Tailwheel: 2.9oz
Hardware: 12.4oz
Cowl: 2.5lbs
Canopy: 2.3lbs
Fuse: 7.6lbs
R wing: 3lbs 12.7oz
L wing: 4lbs 0.0oz
Wing Tube: 14.1oz
Fuel Tank: 5.1oz

If I have missed anything, please let me know.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:12 AM
Certified SUAS Bum
Joined Jul 2008
673 Posts
Made some more progress this evening.

I covered my elevator and rudder extensions with snake skin and ran those down the fuse. I also installed the 2 rudder servos in the fuse. All normal stuff and nothing particularly notable. Of course the wire management is nice and easy with the guide holes down the rear.

I installed the horns in all of the surfaces minus rudder. This was as easy as one would expect. For good measure, I put loctite on the threads and will use a touch of grease on the joints. I went ahead and installed the elevator servos and hooked them up. I have not yet done the ailerons. I haven't used post style attachments in years, so I will need to re-adjust to getting the geometry correct so that the aileron servos get along nicely. Right now I have the rods relatively far out on the arms. Since I don't strictly compete in IMAC currently, I would still like to have full throw potential for when I want to have a little more fun.

That's about it for tonight. I of course went through every joint I could and dabbed thin CA in them. I shrank the covering a bit on the fuse and laid down the graphics as well. Looks great so far

Tomorrow I will stand the fuse up and figure out how large I need to make my wooden standoff block for the engine. Hope to get that and a bit more done before the day is through.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by dw87
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2014
671 Posts
Boy you did a lot in a couple days, preety cool!
dw87 is offline Find More Posts by dw87
Old 11-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Certified SUAS Bum
Joined Jul 2008
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw87 View Post
Boy you did a lot in a couple days, preety cool!
I imagine I will knock it out pretty quickly. Between classes and other responsibilities, I don't have a lot of extra time to work. When I get long break like this, I knock out as much as possible.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,449 Posts
I will say that I am surprised not only how heavy the wings are, but the difference from one wing to the other! You will definitely have to add lead to the light wing. Not bashing, just stating my surprise... My Carden Pro wings are both just under 3lbs fully equipped ready to fly, within 1 oz of each other... This was without any lightening done to the cores
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by djmoose
Lowlife
Macedonia, OH
Joined Mar 2010
506 Posts
Thank Brian for this thread...I'll be following.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old 11-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
3,981 Posts
it's not as simple as adding lead to the wing to bring the weights even. the goal is for both wings to have their mass evenly distributed along the wing. even the lighter wing could have greater mass towards the tip. first thing is to compare/measure the lengthwise CG of each wing. Heli guys are painfully aware that blades of the same weight mean little if the CG of each blade is different.

Personally, since most of the mass of the wing is probably at or close to the root, and that close to the fuselage it would have little impact, I would ignore it and go fly and only make a change if the plane didn't track well through fractional loops.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 11-19-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Certified SUAS Bum
Joined Jul 2008
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheliflyer View Post
I will say that I am surprised not only how heavy the wings are, but the difference from one wing to the other! You will definitely have to add lead to the light wing. Not bashing, just stating my surprise... My Carden Pro wings are both just under 3lbs fully equipped ready to fly, within 1 oz of each other... This was without any lightening done to the cores
But you have to remember, this isn't a carden pro. It's not even a pro built kit. While I agree the wings could be a bit liter, I do not think they're excessively heavy. On the topic of being a few oz different, I'm not too worried about it. In a plane this size, a couple ounces (likely inboard like newbie said) is not going to make much difference. If I find that to be wrong in the air, I will correct it.

Comparing an ARF to a professionally built carden is apples to oranges. Nobody would compare a H9 Sukhoi to a pro-built Dalton.
Last edited by Brian yak dude; 11-19-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tseres
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Nice. Glad you pointed out that this is an ARF. Lets see what you can do.
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
277 Posts
thanks for doing this build thread. i've been interested in this plane since it was first announced .
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
Old 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Certified SUAS Bum
Joined Jul 2008
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan View Post
thanks for doing this build thread. i've been interested in this plane since it was first announced .
As have I. Not every day that a nice kit gets offered as an ARF. Suddenly opens a new market of customers to get their hands on planes not historically attainable.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,422 Posts
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=199106

Here is my assembly thread on my Dalton. However I ended up selling it a few weeks ago.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951

Quick Reply