Old 01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
Build Log
All New 3.1m Radiowave Giles 202 Competition Series Build Thread

Since we are really happy with how the testing went on the prototype 3.1m Radiowave Giles 202 we decided it is time to build a brand new one for us since the prototype was actually based off my last one that has mold on it from my water heater letting go in my garage (not exactly the show plane you want to show customers).

For a while now we have been spit balling some ideas around on what we can do to offer a full competition series version of our 3.1m Mx2 and now the Giles. One of the things we have been considering for awhile was a fully sheeted fuselage version which makes it nicer for covering and such. So over the last couple of weeks I have been tweaking some of the AutoCad files to come up with the new 3.1m Giles 202 competition series.

The CS version is going to be very similar to our traditional version but will have a couple of extra features like the full balsa fuselage sides, Carbon fiber landing main gear, carbon tubes & sockets, and carbon tail wheel assembly. The new features of the airplane and additional carbon items the new 3.1m Giles CS kit will is going to be introduced at $1750.00 + shipping. (Traditional version with lite ply sides is $1500 + shipping)

One of our main interests when coming up with the Competition Series version was making sure we stayed true to our design techniques and constructed the airplanes in a way that no matter what level of building experience you have you will be successful in building one of our kits. So to do that we wanted to make sure that the airplane still featured our interlocking tab design so everything self aligns and is straight.

Here are some pictures of the prototype 3.1m Giles 202

Name: 15940551_10211769117401576_4479906361305016971_n.jpg
Views: 324
Size: 88.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_6081.jpg
Views: 332
Size: 178.4 KB
Description:
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Last edited by Kevin Y; 01-24-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-24-2017, 05:09 PM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
So to start off this build we figured that we would show you a bit of what I do to cut out the airplanes after I am done with the design work in AutoCad. These pictures are just some of the formers and such that I will end up cutting. In all it generally takes about a day to cut the plywood parts (the foam is what takes for ever).

Picture #1 shows the program that the laser uses to cut and how the parts are nested to maximize the material.

Name: 100_3198.jpg
Views: 297
Size: 1.15 MB
Description:

Picture #2 is the laser actually cutting the file from picture 1

Name: 100_3199.jpg
Views: 275
Size: 631.4 KB
Description:

Picture #3 is the finished product

Name: 100_3201.jpg
Views: 276
Size: 656.0 KB
Description:

Picture #4 is one of the balsa sheets that will be used. This one is for the rear section of the top plate which is basically the backbone of the airplane and everything tabs into.

Name: 100_3196.jpg
Views: 236
Size: 859.7 KB
Description:

Picture #5 is that section actually being cut. The cross pattern that you see is actually used for gluing to when doing the cross bracing to keep the fuse stiff.

Name: 100_3197.jpg
Views: 253
Size: 824.6 KB
Description:
Old 01-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by vsnap
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
So are the sides going to be laminated Balsa/Lite ply or solid sheet balsa? Interesting to watch what different companies are doing to better the build process.
vsnap is offline Find More Posts by vsnap
Old 01-24-2017, 05:39 PM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
Since most of the plywood and balsa parts are cut out it is time to make an airplane! Before we really get started building we tend to get all of our scarf joints out of the way and any spots that we have to join the halves together such as the fuse top plate and fuse sides.

Picture #1 is the jig I designed for making your scarf joints for the 3/8" balsa longerons that run down the fuselage sides. (comes with the kit too )

Name: 100_3207.jpg
Views: 255
Size: 570.2 KB
Description:

Picture #2 is the 3/8" balsa longeron after it has been cut

Name: 100_3208.jpg
Views: 251
Size: 629.4 KB
Description:

Picture #3 is both halves of the scarf joint just before we glue them together with titebond (CA to tack)

Name: 100_3209.jpg
Views: 199
Size: 591.3 KB
Description:

Picture #4 is the two halves of the top plate which feature a dove tail design to help keep them square

Name: 100_3210.jpg
Views: 217
Size: 589.2 KB
Description:

Picture #5 is the two halves now glued together with titebond

Name: 100_3213.jpg
Views: 204
Size: 602.6 KB
Description:

Picture #6 is the dove tail joint for the balsa fuse sides

Name: 100_3216.jpg
Views: 236
Size: 575.5 KB
Description:

Picture #7 is the fuse sides after being joined, again using titebond

Name: 100_3217.jpg
Views: 228
Size: 607.6 KB
Description:

Picture #8 is shows the doubler that goes behind the joint on the fuselage sides. You will also see that the F5 former tabs into all of this. (No real reason for the shape of the double, I just thought it would look cooler then a rectangular piece of wood)

Name: 100_3227.jpg
Views: 213
Size: 517.0 KB
Description:

Picture #9 shows the fuse sides after being glued in place with titebond

Name: 100_3232.jpg
Views: 227
Size: 744.4 KB
Description:
Last edited by Kevin Y; 01-24-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by vsnap
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
Well that answered my question. Looks interesting.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnap View Post
So are the sides going to be laminated Balsa/Lite ply or solid sheet balsa? Interesting to watch what different companies are doing to better the build process.
it will be a solid sheet with doublers in strategic point for things like the fuse joints and attachments for wing bolts. Instead of doing the 3/8" balsa stringers down the sides like you have seen on the Cardens we chose to interlock our doublers into the fuselage formers. It still makes it very strong but gives is a clean look that also keeps thing interlocking.

I will throw up some of those pictures probably tomorrow
Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by vsnap
Joined Jun 2006
2,224 Posts
I always liked the tab lock construction with the light ply kits but hated the looks of the covering over top. I thought it would be great to have sheets of 3/32 balsa that was cut to match so you could overlay the light ply to get the clean look balsa gives. Yours is a very good idea.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,418 Posts
Kevin and Al,

Great idea with the interlocking balsa fuse side, best of both worlds, easy to build like a all lite ply fuses but with the advantage of balsa sides for a better finish.

Tom
tom wheeler is online now Find More Posts by tom wheeler
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Tom,

Thanks, My original concern was weight but so far its pretty much a wash. As for fit I have it snapped together dry right now and its great ( we have more done than we posted )

I am using Titebond for the basic build with a dab of CA to lock stuff in place while the Titebond dries. All the longerons and doublers are all glued with Tigtbond.

What takes the longest is watching the glue dry.
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
KEITH RUSH
Hemet, CA
Joined Mar 2006
580 Posts
Kevin,

Are you putting a 200 in this one?

Keith
KEITH RUSH is offline Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
Old 01-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by AcScotty
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
112 Posts
Awesome thread!
This will help me out huge with my 3.1 MX2 build!
Looking forward to seeing this go together
AcScotty is offline Find More Posts by AcScotty
Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Here's the story on the jig for the scarf joints:

The other day I am looking for my miter box to cut the joints. I think it grew legs and walked out of the shop. I spent an hour looking for it.

Kevin asked me what I was looking for and I told him I couldn't find it. He asked me what angle and length I wanted the scarf joint. He goes to the computer spends about 5 minutes on auto cad. Goes over to the laser throws in a piece of wood and 2 minutes later he hands me this jig. it worked great so now it will be included in the kits.

Moral of the story: Just like Kevin coming up with the idea for the jig and making it for me, we cut one kit at a time. It lets us continue to improve each kit or even laser your name or logo in it.
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 PM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITH RUSH View Post
Kevin,

Are you putting a 200 in this one?

Keith
Yep, it will get a 200 on our canisters and futaba sbus setup like the other one.

I do want to make sure that everyone realizes that both the MX2 and Giles 202 are designed from a 150 on up. All the original test flights on the prototype MX2 were done with a DA-150 and it flew incredibly well. It is not just a 200cc airplane.
Last edited by Kevin Y; 01-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:57 AM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcScotty View Post
Awesome thread!
This will help me out huge with my 3.1 MX2 build!
Looking forward to seeing this go together
Scott,

The difference on your kit will be the lite ply fuselage sides and back plate ( top part of the fuselage ). On this kit the sides are 1/8" solid balsa and the rear section of the back plate is also balsa.

Keep us posted on your build

Al
Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 AM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,764 Posts
So, along with the doubler for the joint on the fuselage sides there are a couple of doubles that need to be glued into place before you glue all the formers in.

With the balsa sided fuselage we needed to put a doubler in place for the wing attachment area. Traditionally you will see companies put some 3/8" balsa square vertically place one the fuse sides with a plywood plate so when they secure the wing bolts it does not crush the balsa. This works extremely well but we wanted to try something a bit different so we designed a doubler that laminates to the balsa sides and goes from our F1 former to the F4 former and ends up getting tabbed into those four formers.

Picture #1 show the wing double before getting glued into place

Name: 100_3221.jpg
Views: 230
Size: 691.5 KB
Description:

Picture #2 shows us gluing in the wing doubler and using some of the formers and wing tube socket just to assure proper alignment.

Name: 100_3225.jpg
Views: 208
Size: 657.0 KB
Description:

Picture #3 shows wing doubler after glued in place

Name: 100_3222.jpg
Views: 216
Size: 639.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by Kevin Y; 01-25-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply