logo

FlyingGiants Visits Extreme Flight - 52" and 74" Slick 580 EXP!!

FlyingGiants sent Miss Ashely back out on the road to visit the fine folks at Extreme Flight RC. Not only do we have her report but some info on new planes from Ben and Chris!!

Splash

FG Visits EF and Cool New Planes to Announce!

For the month of February I was looking for an event for Miss Ashley to cover. It hit me that she might need to make the trip to the Extreme Flight facility to see what they have under wraps for the upcoming flying season. Here is her report and photos:

Miss Ashley

This time on "Warehouse Diaries" I stop in with none other than Extreme Flight. Since EF and 3D Hobby Shop combined forces a warehouse revamp was in the works. The base of operations now resides in Cumming, GA. Located conveniently next to Atlanta.

I stayed with Chris Hinson, owner of Extreme Flight and his wife Melissa while I was visiting. This is the kind of unyielding devotion I have come to expect from them, and I've been friends with them for almost 7 years. These doors are always open.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Extreme Flight, they are an RC plane manufacturer. They sell everything from 48" electric planes to 120 cc - 3D planes. This company sponsors some pretty well known names in RC including: Donatas Pauzuolis, RJ Gritter, and Jase "The Ace" Dussia.

Well, you don't have awesome pilots unless you have a good product; and good product usually starts with good people. Do you ever wonder about the guys that tape up your packages and draw those funny stick characters on the side? Or if you're Cody Wojick, maybe a babe in a bikini! But seriously, I found out first hand just how much these guys sweat to get you unbeatable product!

As I toured the warehouse I noticed how many parts they had on hand. Chris wants all you pilots out there to know, they are stocked and ready for your wish list of parts!

Team members, along with a little work behind the curtains, and amazing products have made Extreme Flight one of the most well known names in 3D as well as RC. I ALWAYS have a good time with these people. They're like a second family at this point. The next event your at, stop by the Extreme Flight tent, check out the product and meet some of the most genuine people. No BS here, what you see is what you get. Thank you so much for allowing me to follow your process and get a behind the scenes look. See you guys soon!

Extreme Flight is proud to announce the 74" Slick 580 EXP ARF

Here is a report from Ben Fisher on the new 74" Slick 580 EXP....

Using design and construction technology from Jase Dussia's 120CC Slick 580 EXP, the 74" features a new generation of light, strong EXP construction. We've radically expanded the use of composites, drawing on our experience from 120CC, which has allowed us to create a highly styled appearance along with very light weight.

For gasoline power, we recommend the DA-35 engine, and we have pre-marked the firewall for this engine. Many gas engines 30-35CC are appropriate, and the firewall also has "crosshair" markings to align these various templates. If installing the DA-35, the standoffs included with the engine are the correct length. A 12, 14, or 17 oz. Extreme Flight Flowmaster fuel tank is recommended.

For electric power, we recommend the XPWR 30CC brushless outrunner motor and an 80-120 amp HV ESC, providing approximately 3000-3200 watts. Our choice is the Castle Creations Edge series. The 74" Slick 580 airframe is equipped with a custom mounting location for the Edge controllers. With the XPWR 30CC, we recommend 12S 3000-3700mah lipo batteries and a 19x8, 19x10, or 20x8 electric prop.

Extreme Flight will soon be releasing the BlazingStar STANDARD-LONG adjustable standoff kit to perfectly mount the XPWR 30CC motor into this airframe, or anywhere sized for a DA-35 installation. The firewall of the 74" Slick 580 EXP is also pre-marked for the XPWR 30CC bolt pattern to add convenience.

Several other 10-12S power systems 2500-3000 watts are also appropriate.

The Slick 580 EXP requires 4 full-size metal-gear servos, 275 oz-inches or more recommended. We tested with MKS HV1220 servos. If using gas power, add one servo for throttle control, which does not need to be high torque, although high speed is beneficial.

The spinner size is 3.5 inches diameter. Note that the XPWR 30CC requires a perimeter-bolt style spinner or a center-bolt adaptor.

The Slick requires:

• (2) Extreme Flight 1.5" Servo Arms for M3 hardware
  • (1) Extreme Flight 2.0" Servo Arm for M3 hardware
  • (1) Extreme Flight 4.0" Servo Arm for M3 hardware

Servo extensions are:

• 1 x 24" elevator
  • 4 x 6" for ailerons
  • 1 x 12" for throttle or ESC

More Specs:

• The Length of the Slick is 71.5" with spinner
  • The height of the rudder sitting on the tailwheel is 19"
  • The span of the elevators is 30"
  • The wing area 1070 square inches

The weight of the aircraft, from our test builds, is 10.5 lbs for gas, and 11 for electric. These are real weights anyone can achieve. Our precise test build weight for DA-35 with pitts muffler and 60gram throttle servo was 10lb. 3 ounces, using a very small Rx battery. Our precise test build weight for XPWR 30CC and 12S 3300mah Pulse 45C was 10 lb. 8 oz.

This provides the XPWR 30CC version with 300 watts per pound of weight, which is stellar power level. This airframe does not need a larger electric power system, and our strong recommendation is for the XPWR 30CC.

Flight

The 74" Slick 580 borrows tech from Jase Dussia's 120CC Slick, and has been further targeted to maximize 3D stability. This is a rock-solid low-and-slow 3D platform that could easily be a 3D trainer, while retaining the abilities of its competition-winning big brother. It has very low coupling, no rock, and excellent manners, while snapping and spinning precisely and sharply. To quote Chris Hinson, CEO and chief test pilot of this project: "It 3D's like the best Edge, and has the precision of the Slick."

Slick 580 EXP Holiday Huckin 2016 (10 min 13 sec)

The 74" Slick 580 EXP is due into our Georgia warehouse on or before March 3. It will show up on the Extremeflightrc.com website next week. The price of the 74" Slick 580 is $459.95

Announcing the new 52" Slick 580!

Here is an update from Chris Hinson:

Extreme Flight RC's latest release was designed in conjunction with Jase Dussia, the brand new 52" Slick 580 EXP takes the innovations of the previous EXP designs to the next level. Using a mix of balsa, light ply, carbon fiber and G10 composites the Slick is extremely light weight for its size and built to take all the high G punishment you can throw at it.

Just like its predecessor, the Extreme Flight 52" Extra 300 EXP, the new Slick 580 EXP was designed around the Xpwr 3910 and Airboss 80 Amp ESC power combo. This powerhouse combo delivers maximum performance and reliability for this class of model using a 4S 2500-3300 mah battery and a 14x7-15x7 electric prop. All flight testing was performed with the Hitec 5087MH servos. We recommend the use of 3 of the Extreme Flight 1.25" lightweight servo arms for aileron and rudder actuation. The elevator uses a custom G10 servo arm extension included in the kit. The Slick 580 EXP requires a 57mm Extreme Flight electric spinner.

Here is a link to the Slick 580 EXP PDF.

Servo extensions are as follows:

• 2-18" Extreme Flight 28 awg extensions for the elevator and rudder servos
  • 2-6" Extreme Flight 28 awg extensions for the ailerons

The 52" Slick 580 features 2 very sexy Ultracote (Oracover) color schemes designed by Extreme Flight graphic artist Arron Bates. Both color schemes are highly visible in the air and provide great contrast from top to bottom.

The 52" Slick 580 EXP sells for $239.95 and will be offered with several money saving options including a combo with the Xpwr/Airboss power system.

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 52 inches
  • Length: 51.5 inches
  • Wing Area: 565 square inches
  • Weight: 3.75-4 pounds

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 03-03-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by leelee
Knife Edge
United States, NC, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2006
1,083 Posts
These are the best airframes and accessories in the industries. Never had an issue with anything from them. Once you fly Extreme you don't go back.
leelee is offline Find More Posts by leelee
Old 03-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly
United States, MD, Baltimore County
Joined Apr 2008
3,031 Posts
Can't wait to see that Pantera!
rcbobp is offline Find More Posts by rcbobp
Old 03-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by jnjacksn
'See ya Monday!" Zach H. - EF
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Apr 2006
173 Posts
Another one to add to the ever growing collection!
jnjacksn is offline Find More Posts by jnjacksn
Old 03-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by LarryMagoo
Brentwood, CA USA
Joined Dec 2006
285 Posts
WOW!!! Does that dude know how to fly or what???? You'd think it was a regular sunny day....but NOOOOO snowing pretty good did not even phase his performance ....Oh to have such talent!!!
LarryMagoo is offline Find More Posts by LarryMagoo
Old 03-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,226 Posts
Thanks for the great article Ashley. It was great to spend a few days with you. We certainly consider you part of the family and you are always welcome in our home.
As an aside, the 2 color schemes on these models will be available on the forthcoming 120cc Slick in addition to the Jase Dussia signature printed scheme.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by hoverup
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Wow. Gotta' love the use of composites for a rigid, light, but strong.

I am a little concerned about security in the shipping dept. though. That Glock 9mm should stop any unwanted toy thieves.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA80383
IRCHA 3553
LSF 853
Major USAF
Retired
NRA member
Concealed carry permit
hoverup is offline Find More Posts by hoverup
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by bobmixon
Tail dipping!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Oct 2012
162 Posts
~whew~ the 74" Slick is sexy! Love that color scheme. I'll certainly be adding this one to my hangar.

Thanks EF/3DHS!
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Gotta fly!
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
1,485 Posts
Glad I don't live nearby, I'd be brokerererer.
madinpensacola is online now Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 03-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverup View Post
Wow. Gotta' love the use of composites for a rigid, light, but strong.

I am a little concerned about security in the shipping dept. though. That Glock 9mm should stop any unwanted toy thieves.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA80383
IRCHA 3553
LSF 853
Major USAF
Retired
NRA member
Concealed carry permit
I think that is a 1911 and not a Glock.... ???
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by RussellRifleRoll
Xpert servos Team Pilot
United States, NC, Sanford
Joined Nov 2016
38 Posts
RussellRifleRoll is offline Find More Posts by RussellRifleRoll
Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by dbishw92
United States, IL, Donovan
Joined Dec 2014
152 Posts
Cant waite for the 74 to get in stock.
dbishw92 is online now Find More Posts by dbishw92
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
16 Posts
Nice looking update for the Slick lineup!
Anybody else curious about how the added composites will effect receiver antenna placement? Seems like there is a lot of shielding that could effect reception? Probably over-thinking it. LOL
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 03-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Peru, Lima Region, Lima District
Joined Oct 2006
808 Posts
The wingspans of the 74" without the wingtips ?
jonathanmanopla is offline Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Old 03-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Peru, Lima Region, Lima District
Joined Oct 2006
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post
Nice looking update for the Slick lineup!
Anybody else curious about how the added composites will effect receiver antenna placement? Seems like there is a lot of shielding that could effect reception? Probably over-thinking it. LOL
that composite dosent Look like Carbon fiber, i think the shielding effect is when there ir Carbon fiber.

its about the same of the Krill or Carf planes
jonathanmanopla is offline Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla