logo

Memphis PropBusters Fire Fly-In - FlyingGiants Event Coverage

FG contacted the Memphis Prop Busters and sent Miss Ashley over to cover their first event of the year!

Splash

This weekend had me at the Memphis PropBusters Club in Arlington, TN!

The wicked storm we had the night before the fly-in left the field a little smooshy, but by gosh, we were going to fly! It was a good day for it too. The weather was beautiful and the skies were clear. The wind was a little gusty and from a couple of directions following the storm system from the night before, but that only means good 3D weather :D

This is the first year the Prop Busters have put on this event, but they hold events every so often, including a charity fly-in in June. We had folks from all over the southeast, including St. Louis. There was quite a variety of flying going on as well. I saw lots of 3D with Slicks and Extras, we had some warbirds on hand including a 1/4 scale Fokker DR1 Triplane, and I even saw a free flight plane out there! I tell ya, that old school stuff is just awesome. To see what RC has evolved from is just mind boggling. John Schroder was telling me how free flight pilots would have fuses attached to their rubber bands for a certain length of time. When the fuse reached the rubber bands that were turning the propeller, the rubber bands would snap off and your descent would begin! I love the free flight guys. They are always low key and so calm and content with their specimens of RC history.

We also had plenty of electric planes, helis, and even a DGI Phantom collecting all the action. Corky's BBQ was served for lunch and was included in the landing fee! We had a 50/50 raffle after lunch and guess who won? Jackie Willard took half the pot leaving him with a nice $280 to play with. Hmmm... I wonder what he'll do with it??

I almost forgot the best part of the day! Mr. Schroder bought me my first plane! So excited to get this girl ready!! We have to put a receiver in and mount some servos, and ladies and gentleman, I will be sky bound!! It's unfortunate that we (The Clover Creek Gang) didn't camp, but I have a feeling we will be back! Thank you Jack Estes and Charlie Fites and all you jovial juvenile delinquents! ;p

Check out the PropBusters website for information on the field and future events. http://www.memphispropbusters.com/pl...RC5:HOME::::::

Last edited by Jason Cole; 03-21-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
813 Posts
Nice job Ashley! Thanks
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by ProAerialPics
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Mar 2017
4 Posts
Final ground and Drone video production by ProAerialPics.com

Thanks Ashley! Great job.

I had a blast at the 1st annual Memphis Prop Busters Spring Fire Fly In. Trying to catch you all flying with the drone was testing.... never knew what way you were going to go next!

Here is a ground camera and Drone video production I put together.
ProAerialPics.com video selections (12 min 51 sec)

If you are in the video and want a high def copy, contact me at Ron@ProAerialPics.com or call (901) 831-1341
Be sure to let me know what you were flying.

If you aren't in the video and want it.... we will work something out.

Thanks to the Flying Giants and Memphis Prop Busters for allowing me to capture some of the fun!!

Ron Tipton
ProAerialPics is offline Find More Posts by ProAerialPics
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by crawf56
Wind in the Wires
United States, AR, Paragould
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
Very well done! Miss Ashley rock'n that camera!

When you attend a Good Fly-in, it is soooo inspiring. Let's see: Need to test the P-39......get the 1/4 Fokker D7 flying........start the Giant Scale P-40N ARF.........finish the GS P-47........etc.
crawf56 is offline Find More Posts by crawf56
Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
813 Posts
Jack, where is the footage you shot?
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,130 Posts
Great pics Ashley. And cool video Ron. Thanks for sharing!
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 03-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by daleflysrc
United States, AR, Alexander
Joined Jun 2008
21 Posts
Thanks for the great pics of my nieuport & tripe miss Ashley!
daleflysrc is offline Find More Posts by daleflysrc
Old 03-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,220 Posts
Great pictures Ashley! It was great seeing everyone again. Minus the 4am monsoon, I don't think it could have gone any better.

I took some pictures, so let me get them resized and I'll post the better ones.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 03-26-2017, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by clarkj
United States, MO, Sikeston
Joined Jul 2012
19 Posts
We had a great time. Hope to do it again next year
clarkj is offline Find More Posts by clarkj
Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkj View Post
We had a great time. Hope to do it again next year
We're glad you made it! Look for something coming up on the Porter Leath charity fly in in the fall. We usually have it around the end of October.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by crawf56
Wind in the Wires
United States, AR, Paragould
Joined Dec 2012
26 Posts
Memphis World War 1 Aces

While I have your attention......

Memphis has TWO World War 1 aces associated with it!

REED MCKINLEY CHAMBERS (7 kills)
94th Aero Squadron [Pursuit]
Chambers was born in Onaga, Kansas, but grew up in Memphis. He joined the Tennessee National Guard in 1914, and was a close friend of squadron mate Eddie Rickenbacker [top US ace of WW1]. Chambers started an airline with Rickenbacker after WW1, and eventually started an airline insurance company.

Chambers flew Nieuport 28's and SPAD XIII fighters. If you look at pic DSC_0288, just paint the cowl white and change the number to "11", and you have Chambers' N28.

EVERETT RICHARD COOK (5 kills)
91st Aero Squadron [Observation]
Cook was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, but also grew up in Memphis. He was one of the few aces who flew observation aircraft. Cook was commander of the 91st. Later, Cook became President of the Memphis Cotton Exchange in 1931.

Cook flew Salmson 2A-2 observation aircraft.

Information on these men is from the Osprey Publishing book, "American Aces of World War 1".
crawf56 is offline Find More Posts by crawf56