logo

New Aircraft! Hangar 9 Van's RV-4 30cc

Horizon Hobby just announced a new addition to the Hangar 9 giant-scale family: an 85" Van's RV-4.

Splash

Stable and Responsive Like the Real Thing!

Horizon Hobby has been buzzing with new releases this week, and one of them is a gorgeous Hangar 9 Van's RV-4. This 30cc scale rendition of the popular home-built kitplane comes with a generous hardware package including pre-wired and installed navigation and landing lights, aluminum landing gear with painted fairings, flaps and scale hinges, a two piece wing, and a detailed scale cockpit with pilot bust. The 85" wingspan RV-4 can be powered with gas or electric, and requires 7 or 8 standard-sized servos, depending on power options.

Features:

• Expertly constructed with laser-cut balsa and plywood
  • Two-piece, plug-in wing and horizontal stabilizer make field assembly fast
  • Functional flaps and scale hinges add realism and a wider flight envelope
  • Wide-track wheel stance and leaf tail wheel for outstanding ground handling
  • Painted fiberglass cowl and wheel pants
  • Matching aluminum landing gear with painted fairings
  • Large top-hatch provides easy access to electronics and flight batteries
  • Detailed cockpit area features a scale pilot, instrument decal and crystal-clear canopy
  • A self-aligning drill guide makes all recommended power options easy to install
  • Operational LED landing lights pre-wired and installed
  • Easy to maintain, genuine Hangar 9® UltraCote® covering
  • Military-style and civilian decals included for trim scheme customization
  • Includes motor mount for the electric power option
  • Complete hardware kit includes a matching spinner and painted fiberglass control horns

CLICK HERE for more info on the new Hangar 9 Van's RV-4

From Hangar 9:

Among the hundreds of homebuilt aircraft designs that have taken flight over the years, few inspire pilot devotion like the Van's RV line of airplanes. Just ask any of the faithful. It doesn't matter which RV they fly. They will all testify to a balance of stability and nimble response that just makes you want to smile whenever you're at the controls. Master model designer, Ali Machinchy, has perfectly captured that Van's experience with this 30cc reproduction of the RV-4. It combines superb detail and thrilling flight performance to give pilots of almost any skill level a giant-scale experience unlike any other.

The Hangar 9® Van's RV-4 30cc ARF has been designed to make every step of your giant-scale experience as hassle-free as possible. It all starts with the assembly. The two-piece plug-in wing and horizontal stabilizer slide together on aluminum tubes and bolt into place. The large fuselage access hatch makes electronics installation easy, too. There's even a pre-assembled, self-aligning drill guide to speed the installation of whatever powerplant you decide to use, gas or electric. Once in the air, you'll find the model's wide flight envelope and forgiving flight characteristics just as easy to enjoy. It will do it all, from touch and gos to advanced aerobatics, with the same smooth, predictable response the full-scale version is famous for.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; 05-11-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by DHC2 Beaver
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Looks amazing! I have the RV-8 from Hangar-9 and it flies truly beautifully; the RV-4 should fly just the same, only bigger.
DHC2 Beaver is offline Find More Posts by DHC2 Beaver
Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Micah Lindstrom
United States, MN, Milaca
Joined Feb 2016
262 Posts
Wonder how this baby would be on a 40 twin ! Sounds like a hoot ! Definitely on my watch list for my next build
Micah Lindstrom is offline Find More Posts by Micah Lindstrom
Old 05-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by flyingdreamz
United States, GA, Stockbridge
Joined Nov 2015
37 Posts
I also have the old RV-8 from H9, I love it. I would have to fly this one before I bought it, I have been majorly disappointed with the last few hanger 9 planes I have bought.
flyingdreamz is offline Find More Posts by flyingdreamz
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Which planes from Hangar 9 have been disappointing? (I haven't bought any Hangar 9 planes since my RV-8)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by Aerobear68
Hemet Model Masters, Hemet
United States, CA, San Jacinto
Joined Jul 2013
853 Posts
300X is one
Aerobear68 is offline Find More Posts by Aerobear68
Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Old School Hucker
Joined Jan 2006
2,109 Posts
The 300X I flew was amazing.. Not sure what you didn't like about it, but it could have been a setup issue.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by flyingdreamz
United States, GA, Stockbridge
Joined Nov 2015
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC2 Beaver View Post
Which planes from Hangar 9 have been disappointing? (I haven't bought any Hangar 9 planes since my RV-8)
Carbon Cub 15cc

Hanger 9 P3

Inversa 62

The Carbon Cub was the most disappointing, call me spoiled with extreme flight builds but after building it for 2 weeks because the instructions and fitment was crap. I ended up with a plane that on the recommended power system, was under powered, over weight and disappointing. 13 pounds on a power 60 is just not going to work. 15 pounds on a VVRC 21 LP, no thanks.
flyingdreamz is offline Find More Posts by flyingdreamz
Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I think the giant scale Beaver they have is supposed to be amazing. Anyhow, does anyone know if Ali Machinchy helped design this plane? Isn't there a picture of him with it? If so, it might very well be a great design. All it has to do is carry over the amazing traits from the RV 8 - the wonderful semi-symmetrical airfoil, the built-up tail surfaces (which I checked for and the RV 4 has - yay!), the robust construction, and ease of maintenance, just in a larger airframe. What I found with the RV-8 is that it flies very much like a giant-scale airplane because it is built quite solidly. Lightest wing loading isn't always best in a plane, as who wants to be grounded just because of a little wind? As with all things regarding aircraft design, of course, everything is a compromise, and one has to carefully balance all characteristics in a way that produces a beautiful flying airplane, and the RV 8, I think, is the ultimate successful example of this.
Last edited by DHC2 Beaver; 05-11-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by mmcconville
Monticello, IL USA
Joined May 2006
942 Posts
RV Looks great! Congrats to the H9 team! Its an RV, so I'm sure it flies fantastic!
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by patrnflyr
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Sep 2007
96 Posts
Wonder if a Saito 40cc would be enough power or just acceptable. Really like the sound of a large 4 stroke and won't spend the $$$ on a Kolm
patrnflyr is offline Find More Posts by patrnflyr
Old 05-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by Dadawada
Joined Nov 2016
1 Posts
This looks interesting.

Wish I had never sold my 1/4 scale GP.
Dadawada is offline Find More Posts by Dadawada
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdreamz View Post
Carbon Cub 15cc

Hanger 9 P3

Inversa 62

The Carbon Cub was the most disappointing, call me spoiled with extreme flight builds but after building it for 2 weeks because the instructions and fitment was crap. I ended up with a plane that on the recommended power system, was under powered, over weight and disappointing. 13 pounds on a power 60 is just not going to work. 15 pounds on a VVRC 21 LP, no thanks.
What was wrong with the Inverza 62? Getting ready to build my second one. This time electric. No issues with the last one for me.

Jay
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
351 Posts
DA 55
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 05-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
351 Posts
17 TO 19 pounds, I have a power 360 for sale for electric.
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman