Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
Discussion
Looking for solutions on RF signal interference

Ok this is the thing.

I've flown my Escapade before about 25 times very successfully with my VVRC 40 Twin with no RF signals interference at all, as we know the twins produce less vibrations than the single engines.

I decided that I will mount the twin on a H9 Beaver sometime this fall so, it came off the Escapade and into a box, my DLE 35 replaced the 40, the transplant went well.

I run the engine at home after it was mounted on the Escapade, all looked good, today I went to fly the Escapade for the first time, I have to confess, I didn't do a range check before the first flight, all was looking good, the TO was smooth then I pulled to a straight up line, on the way up the Escapade pulled over like if the flaps had deployed, I said WOW!! And reduced the rpms to idle and it behaved normal then I landed.

On the ground I run the engine, I noticed that at max rpms the ailerons were moving slowly up and down then one of the elevator servos was also moving on it's own but not the throttle ( digital )

So, first thing I'm doing is to put a hose clamp on the spark plug cup in case the RF signals are coming from a loose cup, I will test on the ground and if all looks good I will attempt to fly, if that doesn't change the problem then I will move to change the spinner for a better balanced one, if that doesn't work then I will have to look somewhere else.

Any thoughts?
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Last edited by CARS II; 06-02-2017 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,049 Posts
check all of your servo extensions.. i bought a new unflown nieuport with a g26 on it and one aileron would start to deflect full throw and back to center slowly at half throttle and above.. i pulled it apart and found a poorly trimmed futaba plug pushed only halfway into a jr extension. a quick pass with the file and a shot of contact cleaner on all extensions and the problem went away. if you have a good plug lead that is on correctly, it is probably a bad extension vibrating and causing a problem.
also remember the servo connections we use are self cleaning only when plugged and unplugged so buried extensions that are never plugged and unplugged can develop corrosion and cauae similar issues to a half plugged in extension. when people balance the prop and the problem stops thats telling you they have a loose connection somewhere that they didnt find..
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Last edited by 2walla; 06-02-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 AM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
Thanks but I have no extension like that.

This Escapade was flying normally yesterday with the VVRC 40 Twin, the only thing new here is vibration at full rpms.

The hose.clamps I found at Kragens.
Last edited by CARS II; 06-02-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2015
365 Posts
[QUOTE=CARS II;2650712]Ok this is the thing.

I've flown my Escapade before about 25 times very successfully with my VVRC 40 Twin with no RF signals interference at all, as we know the twins produce less vibrations than the single engines.

I decided that I will mount the twin on a H9 Beaver sometime this fall so, it came off the Escapade and into a box, my DLE 35 replaced the 40, the transplant went well.

I run the engine at home after it was mounted on the Escapade, all looked good, today I went to fly the Escapade for the first time, I have to confess, I didn't do a range check before the first flight, all was looking good, the TO was smooth then I pulled to a straight up line, on the way up the Escapade pulled over like if the flaps had deployed, I said WOW!! And reduced the rpms to idle and it behaved normal then I landed.

On the ground I run the engine, I noticed that at max rpms the ailerons were moving slowly up and down then one of the elevator servos was also moving on it's own but not the throttle ( digital )

So, first thing I'm doing is to put a hose clamp on the spark plug cup in case the RF
signals are coming from a loose cup, I will test on the ground and if all looks good I
will attempt to fly, if that doesn't change the problem the I will move to change the
spinner for a better balanced one, if that doesn't work then I will have to look
somewhere else.

I had this same thing happen and it ended up being a problem with the resistor inside the plug cap, put a new cap kit on it and all was good
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 06-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,252 Posts
It's unlikely what you're getting is actual RF, but it could be. True RF with 2.4 systems 'usually' affects the entire plane and not just one or two channels. It sounds like you're looking in the right places so far, but I'm curious about ignition battery placement, throttle servo placement, and so on.

Our servos are controlled by a pulse. The length of that pulse determines the servo's position. Any electrical signal that can make the servo 'see' a pulse will cause it to act up.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Dec 2007
8,633 Posts
Hose clamp or not, make sure the plug cap is FULLY SEATED
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 06-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,620 Posts
considering everything else was good the day before the engine swap, id believe it to be the spark cap not seated all the way. I have had major glitches because of it. maybe remove from plane and test on a bench to rule out everything else. maybe change the plug incase the plug is cracked
nappyroots2182 is online now Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 06-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
Thank you all for your input.

I forgot to mention that the 35 came out of my GP Citabria that has also been flown successfully about 45 times with the 35.

So, both airplanes were flying just fine last weekend without any radio or engine problems, the only thing I did was to swap the 40 Twin for the 35 single, if I was to mount the engines back to the airplanes where they were mounted all will be back to normal, I think.

I understand that more details of the install would help but, I'm trying to keep it simple since as mentioned above the two airplanes where the engines came from were flying just fine, the only new thing here as I see it is vibration at max rpms.

I started with the simplest solution, I will run and maybe try to fly the Escapade on Sunday and will report back my findings.
Last edited by CARS II; 06-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
n2182

My thoughts are around the same idea, I'm thinking the spark plug cup may be vibrating/loose at max rpms.

I will be thinking of what else may be for the next two days just in case the spark plug cup is not the part creating the problem.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
BH

The cup is fully seated, I hope that can be seen on the pictures.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
3,202 Posts
Put a small worm drive hose clamp around the base of the plug cap then you'll know it isn't loose.

Edit: sorry, had not read your first post where you already had a clamp on it.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
Here is a link to my Escapade 30cc build thread, there you can see the install clearly.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-VVRC-40-twin
Old 06-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
I have been reading at another thread on another forum.

The complain is that the digital rpm display unit doesn't work at max rpms and it resets constantly, he pushed on the spark plug cup and the symptom disappear.

My rpms display unit was doing the same thing at max rpms, that thread has giving me more to work with during the test run on Sunday. i will pay a close attention to the spark plug cup, even if the worm hose clamp fixes the problem I will remove the clamp and reinstall the spring and C clip to the cup and to the spark plug to recreate the symptoms, If I can do that I will be sure what part is creating the rf leak.

Thinking back at the field on Thursday when I run the engine on the ground to comfirm I had a problem the engine started acting crappy, like too rich but it was well tuned for the flight, on the third run it run just fine.

All this is leading me to think that the spark plug cup is getting loose or vibrating loose during the max rpms runs, Im hopping the clamp will solve that, I will be troubleshooting around the two spark plug contacts, positive and negative.
Last edited by CARS II; 06-02-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
59 Posts
Interesting, still makes you wonder why there is EMI now verses before on the original airframe? Plug Cap/Spring/shielding... tweaks out at high rpm? maybe. would be nice to swap the Ign box with a buddies to see if that fixes it. I hate intermittent issues, hopefully you figure it out. Maybe double check that the dirty side isn't entangled with the clean side.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 06-03-2017, 11:30 PM
Go fly a jet today
Joined Oct 2014
358 Posts
We will know tomorrow.