Mockingbird Aviation Aluminum Tailwheel Springs - FlyingGiants
logo

Mockingbird Aviation Aluminum Tailwheel Springs

Check out these great looking and functional aluminum tailwheel spring assemblies from FG user Carrid02!

Splash

Update Your 33% - 45% Aircraft With Aluminum Tailwheel Spring Assemblies

FlyingGiants member carrid02 wanted to share with everyone a nice set of aluminum tailwheel springs, manufactured under his company, Mockingbird Aviation. these trick-looking spring housings mount in place of a standard open-spring setup and contain internal spring inside a housing and cap assembly. A 4-40 rod is attached to the end of each assembly, with a ball link to complete the design. Here's what carrid02 has to say about it:

From Carrid02:

Mockingbird Aviation would like to announce the release of a new product for your consideration.

It's an aluminum tailwheel spring setup that houses a stainless steel 4-40 threaded rod and stainless steel compression spring. The aluminum housing has been clear anodized for appearance and longevity.

There are many excellent tailwheel options on the market and a couple tailwheel spring options that work, but don't look quite as good as their "bling" tailwheel counterpart.

This tailwheel spring setup was designed to fit 33%-45% aircraft but will connect to any size airplane that allows enough room between the rudder tiller arm and the tailwheel tiller arm. As designed, you'll need a minimum of 4.25" of clear space between the two connecting points. If you cut off .5" of the 4-40 threaded rod, then this system would operate in 3.75" of clear space.

Included with the purchase:

2- tailwheel spring housing and cap assemblies. (Already assembled with rod and spring inside) 2- Dubro HD 4-40 ball link connectors with connecting hardware 2- 8" pieces of plastic coated cable 2- crimps for attaching cables 1- "Mockingbird Aviation" decal 1- set of instructions

** the price is $39.00 plus shipping ***

Shipping is $4.00 USPS ground or $7.00 USPS priority. Standard International shipping is available at $15.00. Payment can be made via PayPal and I'll only ship to confirmed addresses.

Thanks, Craig Rideout 325-665-4452.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
150 Posts
Nice looking! Do you have a weight measurement for the whole assembly?

Thanks,
Earle
JuStOnE is online now Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
150 Posts
....oops....double post
JuStOnE is online now Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Darkbird
United States, MI, Clarklake
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Is this a double sleeve design where you wont see the spring when it stretches, or does the spring come out some when in operation? And are the units serviceable? As in the springs being replaceable when they stretch or break? And yes I've had both happen.
Darkbird is offline Find More Posts by Darkbird
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
689 Posts
Wow!... thanks Matt and FG for the little push!

Earle, I'll weight the entire set up and post asap.

Darkbird, the compression spring is fully enclosed in the aluminum housing/cap. The aluminum cap screws on/off so the spring can be replaced/serviced as needed.

Thanks!
Craig Rideout
carrid02 is online now Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by philorc
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
Is it possible to use a swivel on the end so you could adjust the length like a turnbuckle and get the rudder and tail wheel aligned?
philorc is offline Find More Posts by philorc
Old 07-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Mar 2010
2,805 Posts
craig, would you post a picture of the mount? I am wondering if this would work on my 47% Decathlon....should be in the neighborhood of 60 - 70 lbs.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Timh
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2016
3 Posts
I am new to large scale and have recently purchased a plane with a spring tail wheel. What is the advantage of have this upgraded spring? Will it make the tail wheel more precise than a standard spring?
Timh is offline Find More Posts by Timh
Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
689 Posts
Phil, I suppose you could add a swivel so you could tighten the cables if needed. If you'll start installation by connecting the cable ends first, you can make them exactly the same. Then connect the hard points and the tailwheel should be straight.

FGnewbie, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... what part of the spring mounting would you like better pics of?

Tim, there are several spring options that do a good job. But I believe this assembly is the best and longest lasting option out there. It's fully serviceable and looks great too! I'm not sure that I could say it controls the tailwheel more precisely, but it will last practically forever! We've had 3 sets of these on airplanes here in Abilene for 5-8 years and never had issues with them.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Mar 2010
2,805 Posts
Craig how it mounts to the fuse....thanks.

Tim oftentimes the supplied springs are too light and the tail wheel will not follow the rudder under load.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by rcfly
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2015
1,291 Posts
Who's tailwheel is that?
rcfly is online now Find More Posts by rcfly
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
689 Posts
Oh, I see. Here's another picture that may help. One side mounts to your rudder tiller arm via the supplied Dubro HD Ballink. The other side mounts via the cable/crimps.

Also, if anyone gets these and believes the spring tension should be higher, you can always "load" them more by cutting off some of the threaded 4-40 rod to pull some more tension. If you want more precision/less tailwheel throw, you can also cut the tiller arm down on the rudder/tailwheel and move the spring assemblies closer in. I may end up doing that to the one pictured.

-Craig
Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
689 Posts
Rcfly, that's an "Airman RC" tailwheel assembly. I think they quit making them a couple years ago. Great concept but pretty expensive to make with lots of machines parts.

-Craig
Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by rcfly
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2015
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrid02 View Post
Rcfly, that's an "Airman RC" tailwheel assembly. I think they quit making them a couple years ago. Great concept but pretty expensive to make with lots of machines parts.

-Craig
Ah, interesting... well, I'm really liking these Secraft tailwheels the best anyway. But, that one did look interesting!
rcfly is online now Find More Posts by rcfly
Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
689 Posts
The entire spring assembly weights .75 oz.

Also, for those who have tried looking for a website, I don't have one yet. If these sell well I'll set one up and continue making them. For now, I'm only advertising/selling them via RC forums.

Thanks,
Craig