Youth Masters - FlyingGiants
logo

Youth Masters

Triple Tree Aerodrome has another great event coming up! Support the RC youth.

Splash

Mark Your Calendars

When: July 29th - 30st, 2017

Where: Woodruff, SC - Get directions here

The Youth Masters IMAC competition that takes place in Woodruff, South Carolina at the Triple Tree Aerodrome each year. Pat Hartness and the members of the Triple Tree Aeromodelers open their doors and welcome present and future IMAC pilots and their friends and families for a weekend of fun, learning, and friendly competition.

Picture 400 acres of RC nirvana with ponds, hiking trails, and several hundred feet of Bermuda grass maintained with the loving care that many golf courses fail to receive. The 3D flight line, which is located at the south end of the 7000 foot main runway, has its own gazebo, power, and a full service bath and shower house. Oh yea, and occasionally a full scale classic like the PA-12 Super Cruiser that stopped in to see what we were up to, will land or depart.

Youth Masters

Founded in 2000, this was the 117th year for the Youth Masters. There were 29 kids on hand this year that were broken into two classes; Basic and Advanced. Advanced class had 5 contestants and Basic the remaining 24. Five giant scale aircraft complete with radios and gas, as well as sequence sheets, and even stick models are provided for the competitors. All that the kids needed to do to compete was show up and fly. There is no entry fee, and several meals were even provided for the attendees by crew at Triple Tree as well as the parents. Experienced pilots, mostly past competitors that have either aged out or won out, are on hand to take off and land the planes, all the contestants have to do is fly their sequence.

Youth Masters is open to pilots up to 16 years old. Students learn not only how to fly IMAC but how to handle large IMAC capable planes as well as conduct themselves at a contest and properly represent their parents and potentially their sponsors. Winners of the Basic class automatically move up to Advanced class the following year. If you win Advanced or have turned 17 you become an instructor that helps take off and land and prepare the planes for the other students. Several students that have turned 17 have been coming back to volunteer for several years to instruct and help out as a way to give back to the younger kids what they themselves got out of Youth Masters. Apparently showing off flying 3D on Friday in front of the event director can also get you moved up to Advanced class!

Visit the Triple Tree Site

Head over to the official Triple Tree website for more information!

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 07-27-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by stewiek308
United States, NC, Dunn
Joined Jun 2016
52 Posts
I didn't get to spend as much time with the camera as I would've liked, but I wanted to share the ones I did get (most of them on Friday evening) I missed a few of the craziest moments including an entire empennage dunk into the pond and also a 230+ mph skip across the same pond but nevertheless, I got a few good shots.

Let me finish by saying how blown away I was this weekend. I haven't been to the youthmasters in almost a decade due to the military and I was speechless at the talent, class, comradery, and overall sportsmanship displayed by the young men that came to compete this weekend. They called the sequence for each other, the advanced guys gave awesome feedback to the basic class pilots, they picked up trash, set up the judging tent, shared airplanes, played pranks on each other and the list goes on and on. I was honored to finally make it back after so many years to help out with the airplanes and sharing the load of taking off and landing with Jonathan and Charlie (who were awesome pilots and young men as well)

A huge thanks goes out to Kent, Donnie, Mark, Steve, the Triple Tree Crew, and so many others that I fail to mention due to my horrible memory of names. Donnie came in strong when we had to do a pit crew style stab change on the yak to keep the basic guys flying for their final round today. None of this would've been possible without these guys.

I hope to see many of you again soon, and would love to see everyone again next year with many new faces!

God bless

Stewie
stewiek308 is offline Find More Posts by stewiek308
Old 07-31-2017, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by thurmma
Rogers, AR
Joined Jul 2009
178 Posts
Looked like a good time was had by all. Thank you for the coverage!
thurmma is offline Find More Posts by thurmma
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by WesSC
Triple Tree Aviator
United States, SC, Williamston
Joined Mar 2012
270 Posts
I second that: "A huge thanks goes out to Kent, Donnie, Mark, Steve,..." thanks for continuing to put on this awesome event every year!!!!
WesSC is offline Find More Posts by WesSC
Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
It is a matter of rate...
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
6,900 Posts
For all of you out there, I would like to say something about stewiek308.

His name is Kyle, and he is one amazing person!!

I know him personally, and he is someone who is passionate about model airplanes and IMAC.

He used to live in Shreveport, LA, however, he is from the East Coast of our great land. He has now returned home, and he is able to go back to where he was once at, which was the Youth Masters. He himself was a pilot there.

He has been an inspiration to me, and others in the South Central Region. In particular, to me! As he taught me so much about aerobatic flying, he gave me confidence to be able to move up to Advanced class.

Way to go Kyle with the Youth Masters. I am certain they all had a great time.
orthobird is online now Find More Posts by orthobird