RC at Oshkosh - The FlyingGiants Inside Scoop! - FlyingGiants
logo

RC at Oshkosh - The FlyingGiants Inside Scoop!

Jase Dussia and Colton Clark had a unique opportunity this year at Oshkosh as RC pilots. Read on to learn more and check out all the photos!

Splash

I never would have thought that I was going to be doing RC demos at Oshkosh!

The world's largest full scale event wanted to inject some RC into their night time events. I got a call from Matt Chapman asking about great night time RC pilots. After a few more calls and working out logistics we had a team headed to Oshkosh! I asked Jase and Colton to write down their thoughts and the awesome Casie Dussia was kind enough to shoot photos for everyone on FlyingGiants.com! - Jim T. Graham

Jase Dussia's Take on Oshkosh

Having been there once before, I knew how gigantic of an event it was, and when we got the invite to fly RC there I was surprised to say the least and very excited as well. New this year at Airventure was the Twilight Flight Fest which took place on the ultralight runway (aka Fun Fly Zone). The show began at 8pm Monday, Tuesday, and Friday with a STOL competition at dusk.

After that, there were night demonstrations from parachute aerobatic teams. We then flew the RC night demos at about 9pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Colton flew a 3DHS 108" Extra 330LT that was borrowed from Ashleigh Heath. I flew my old reliable Demonstrator Edge. We both used the Aurora RC light systems and both planes were powered by the DA 120 spinning Falcon props.

Although our demos at the Twilight Fest were well attended by spectators, it was still at EAA Airventure which made it a grain of sand compared to the rest of the event. I have to say that I was blown away by the air show this year. Performances included the Blue Angels, Rob Holland, F-35 JSF, A-10, B-29s, B-25s, B-1, B-2, B-52, F4U, P-51, Screamin Sasquatch Jet Waco, and several more.

Being at Oshkosh the entire week, we were able to see many airplanes and attendees arrive at the event. It's an understatement to say that the airport is busy. I could watch the sketchy approaches and traffic all day long. The camping was also very nice. Although there are hundreds, probably thousands of campers in Camp Scholler, it was still very relaxing at the campsite. And of course, there were concessions on hand that offered fantastic waffle cones and cheese curds for example.

It was fantastic to be able to meet people in the full scale world and share ideas and talk about similarities and differences between RC and full scale. If you have never been to Oshkosh, you have to go!

EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2017 (17 min 48 sec)

I would like to thank Dennis Dunbar and all of the several organizers of the event who helped make this happen. I know that Jim T. Graham had a pretty big part in making this happen. Of course, thanks to my sponsors for the support.

We had a little bit of scrambling to do for preparation but the sponsors stepped up and helped big time. Thanks to my parents for the support as well and for all the help. Thanks to The Lord for His blessings and for creating this opportunity. Hope to see you guys there next year! - Jase Dussia

Colton Clark's Oshkosh Thoughts

What an opportunity!I was asked if I would like to fly at night during a new program at Airventure called the Twilight NightFest. This ran Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. With a whole heap of things going on in life right now this was an opportunity that could not be passed up on.

Oshkosh 2017 Twilight Flight Fest Colton Clark Thursday Flight (4 min 32 sec)

Before I get into the detail of how awesome my first airventure experience was I really want to mention some people that made it possible. Matt Chapman was instrumental in getting this going, Dennis Dunbar, and Jon Eisele were beyond accommodating, our very own Jim T Graham really got this ball rolling on our end and I can’t thank him enough, My buddy Chad from Balsa USA picked me up from the airport that was 1.5 hours away, Ashleigh Heath (friend, and fellow EF team member) lent me her airplane, and John Dussia. John Picked the plane up from Ashleigh, brought it to OSH with all the necessary equipment, and in a pinch (along with some friends) even drove back down to the airport with me.

As for the show my experience could not have been more fun. It should be a bucket list item for anyone who is even remotely interested in aviation. The whole time we were there The Dussia’s and I kept referring to everything in “Joe Nall” terms. The Ultralight (Fun Fly Zone) quickly became “the 3D line” the runway the airshow was held on was dubbed “the Main line”, and of course there was “the float pond”.

The selection of aircraft at this place was unbelievable! I was able to see up close and personal so many planes I have been passionate about but have only seen pictures of. The constant sound of planes flying over was great as well as just watching them take off and land all week. I will say that seeing all of that would have been near impossible without John’s Golf Cart or at least a bicycle.

Our segment turned out great and I feel like it may have exceeded expectations. We met up with Dennis on Sunday and we were able to do a practice flight while it was still light outside. I would say our flying area was about 1200x300ft. We both were able to stay within that and the guys gave us the green light for the show. Monday rolled though we spent most of the day exploring. At 7 we have our pilots briefing. That was the most relaxed briefing I had ever been to. We put the planes together while watching the STOL show. Those guys absolutely rock! There I was thinking the needed all of these headwinds like you see on Youtube with the Valdez competition… Nope they still take on in a plane length and come in High alpha. The next act up was the Paradigm Paramotor team. These guys are nuts! Loops, rolls, Knife edge spins, this maneuver where they essentially fold up the chute and plummet toward the ground really quickly, just crazy stuff to see. Patriot parachute team then jumped out of a plane. It was hard to see but then the pyrotechnics started and they put of a beautiful show.

We were up last each night. I went first using Ashleighs 3DHS 108” Extra330. I wanted to take a more old school approached and show the crowd two radically different styles of flying. I stuck to mainly low and slow. Showing what it’s like to forget about a wing flying and just using it as an air damper. I landed deadstick as usual each night.

Jase went up after me and the crowd was very excited by then. They turned the music up as loud as possible and Jase rocked them with his aggressive XA style. I think the crowd may have been in shock for the first few minutes but after a prod from the announcer they cheered the rest of the flight getting louder when Jase was doing more and more aggressive maneuvers.

We had many people come up and talk to us each night. It was a huge age range all very excited and happy to have been there. Many of them told us they were going to go tell their friends and asked hoping we’d be doing this other nights of the week. Did that ever happen! I would estimate the crowd to have been roughly a thousand people on the flight lines. By the second night that at the very least doubled or more. I saw so many repeat faces and new ones.

With some positive words from the team at Airventure as we were leaving, I hope we will be able to make this an annual trip and make the Twilight Night Fest something that cannot be missed at OSH 2018.

Thanks to my Sponsors

• Extreme Flight R/C
  • Horizon Hobby
  • Thunder Power Batteries
  • Castle Creations
  • Falcon Props
  • Aurora Light Systems
  • Slimline Mufflers

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 08-02-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by ROBNBAY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2007
62 Posts
You have no idea how spoiled you are to have the golf cart with the pass for the show!! As great as Camp Scholler is......flying into the show and camping with an aircraft is even better. This is only the second year out of the last ten that we have missed. Can't wait to get back!!
ROBNBAY is offline Find More Posts by ROBNBAY
Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2006
1,461 Posts
Casie photos...
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2006
1,461 Posts
And...
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by fly4fun
Canada, AB, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2006
49 Posts
Simply fantastic.....thanks for all the photos and to all representing R/C at this level.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking manuver requests!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2010
2,288 Posts
Great pictures Casie! I saw you snapping away all week and it definitely paid off.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 08-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by payneaviation
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2010
201 Posts
Josh and I are planning to make the trip next year
Osh Kosh is always awesome right up there with Joe Nall

Eddie
payneaviation is online now Find More Posts by payneaviation
Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Nov 2011
661 Posts
The best

Cool guys, wish I could have meet you all but was only able to watch your first night of flying.
Some cool facts/ 590,000 people were walking the grounds with you fine folks and Casie had the toughest job at taking pictures of 17,223 planes.
I really hope they have you back next year and with the audience you got, I have no doubt!!!
Jason
kork is offline Find More Posts by kork
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by newshoundaussie
Joined Jan 2006
396 Posts
Makes me want to go back, it's been a few years. Thanks for the great pictures.
newshoundaussie is offline Find More Posts by newshoundaussie
Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by Komet163
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Oct 2011
83 Posts
great Pics, Oshkosh is a special place, my Dad & Mom attended for 60 yrs in a row, his health wouldn't allow it this year. Casie great pics, the pedal mustang is one of his designs, along with others, I have attend all but eight since 62, it was a great place to grow up, We never knew there was any other family summer vacation but Oshkosh. It was such a special place, my wife & I where married at the church by pioneer airport. The people I have meet over the years make events like this so special, Be careful it will get in your blood,

Bill
Komet163 is offline Find More Posts by Komet163
Old 08-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Nov 2011
661 Posts
That cool Bill, I remember driving by that little church and wondered how many over the years did in fact tie the knot there.
quick photo with my kids last week!
kork is offline Find More Posts by kork
Old 08-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by iahawkflyer
United States, IA, Dyersville
Joined Aug 2008
563 Posts
Colton and Jase you guys put on a heck of a show. It is the perfect place to showcase what our hobby can do. John and Casie you are great ambassadors of our awesome sport. I made it for Friday and I can say that one day is not enough. This year Oshkosh Airventure was one of the best. Amazing planes and friendly people how can that not be the best time you can have?
iahawkflyer is online now Find More Posts by iahawkflyer
Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
9,707 Posts
Is it just me or does the title picture look like #O SH*T was written out?
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951