logo
Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by T BYRD
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts
2008 written sequences

NOTE*** The attachment has the highlighted words and the second post does not.

Hey everyone. I am going to post the 2008 sequences but in a written form. I am not sure I am going to go into as much detail as the 2007 narratives from the imac site, but if that is what everyone would like to see instead then I will do that as well.

I would like to start by telling you about how I call a sequence for someone. I have adapted this from Chip Hyde and use it quite often. I am not here to say this is the right or wrong way to do it, but it does have its pros and cons.

Pros-
1. Very easy to call for an advanced (not the advanced class only) sequence where there are many directions that need to be called or entry and exit directions that are important.

2. Plenty of space on the paper to write directions and exits. On an aresti you are limited to the amount of space is near the manuver. This can get tight even in the intermediate class.

3. Personalization. You can have have just about any caller call you through a sequence the way you want to hear it. If there is something about the way I have written it that you dont like you can always go back and change the way it is written. I have had times at contests where I couldnt have my "caller" call for me due to flight orders. I could just hand my call sheet to someone else and just say "call what is there for me". Its really that easy and the caller can follow through the sequence fairly easy.

Cons-
1. This is really the only con to reading from descriptions. You cant "see" the manuvers. I will always have the actual aresti behind the descriptions when calling just in case, but I feel it is easier to call from descriptions.

I am first going to post an example of a sequence I have written from the 2005 southwest regionals. I am not sure if there is an aresti still around but I belive this was the unknowns that were flown for unlimited.

I have on top the name of the sequence and under that I will usually put L/R - R/L. This is if you are going to fly it left to right or right to left. I will circle one as I practice it with the stick plane. Next to that I will also have IN/OUT. This will be circled if there is a cross box sequence that will determine positioning for the flight. If the flight is going to be taken out I will circle out and so on.

First in the manuvers description I will have where I should begin the manuver. Before center, end, very end etc. Throught the manuver I will try and write it to where as you hear it you know exactly what to do and you hear it the way you want to hear it.

Any way enough with the talking ill post the sequence and let me know what you think. I will work on the 2008 sequences and might even do them as the 2007 sequences are now. Well see what everyone thinks first.
T BYRD is offline Find More Posts by T BYRD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 PM
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts
Re: 2008 written sequences

2005 UNLIMITED UNKNOWN SEQUENCE

L/R – R/L IN/OUT

1. BEFORE CENTER- FIG “N” PULL VERTICLE, 4-POINT ROLL, PUSH TO 45 DEG. DOWNLINE, 1 POS SNAPS TO INV, PUSH TO VERTICLE, 2 HALF ROLLS PULL TO INV EXIT

2. BEFORE END FIGURE 6. PULL VERTICLE DOWN LINE, FULL ROLL DOWN, OUTSIDE LOOP WITH NEG SNAP ON BOTTOM, 2 OF 4 TO INVERTED EXIT.

3. PAST CENTER- 8 POINT ROLL. INSIDE LOOP, 1 NEG SNAPS TO INVERTED EXIT

4. BEFORE END- 270 DEG. ROLLER 3 ROLLS TO THE OUTSIDE (LEFT)
INVERTED EXIT INBOUND CROSS BOX

5. HUMPTY BUMP- PUSH VERTICLE UPLINE, 2 OF 8 RIGHT, 1 LEFT NEG SNAPS, SEE TOP, PUSH OUTSIDE LOOP, 1 RIGHT POSITIVE SNAPS SEE TOP, PULL TO UPRIGHT EXIT

6. END- STALL TURN- 3 HALF ROLLS UP, STALL TURN, 1 LEFT POSITIVE SNAPS, SEE TOP, OPPOSITE RIGHT ROLL. PULL TO UPRIGHT EXIT.

7. BEFORE CENTER-CRAZY 8- PULL TO 45 DEG UPLINE. FULL ROLL, PUSH OUTSIDE LOOP TO 45 UPLINE, 3 HALF ROLLS, PUSH OUTSIDE LOOP TO 45 UPLINE, PULL TO INVERTED EXIT.

8. BEFORE END- 1 LEFT NEG. SPIN, SEE BOTTOM, LEFT POSITIVE SNAPS, SEE TOP, PULL TO UPRIGHT EXIT.

9. BEFORE CENTER- 4 OF 8 RIGHT, OPP LEFT NEG SNAP TO INVERTED EXIT.

END OF SEQUENCE
Last edited by T BYRD; 10-26-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,403 Posts

Thats good stuff Trent.

Just my .02
My problem with written descriptions are two things..

1- Nobody is watching for traffic while stuff is being read.
2- Theres no need to learn to read Aresti.

Once you can read the Aresti (I dont mean you, I know you can Trent) calling becomes so easy. A quick look at the figure and elements is all thats required. Then you can watch the plane as its going through that figure and re-call the elements without having to look back down at the sheet.
Thats what works for me and the guys who I call for and who call for me.

Bottom line, do what works best for you.
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne
Old 10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,548 Posts

I understand the desire to rely on written narrative. But in the end it comes down to the fact that the human brain can see and say something faster than reading it and saying it.

Plus I will never forget sitting on the judge's line and watching a certain TOC pilot fly 8 out of 11 figures in a sequence in the wrong direction because they were using a written narrative that failed to indicate what direction he should have been going. The Aresti of course shows you exactly which way and in what order you need to be flying. I will admit that they were 8 of the most precise zeros I have ever seen flown.

I will also add that I have almost lost count of the number of times, especially with Unknown that I have seen a caller get his pilot all twisted up using a written out narrative.

Ask yourself why an IAC pilot has the Aresti diagram on his dash and not a written out narrative.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 PM
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts

Wayne,

I agree.

I started flying pattern in 1997. I had no idea what an aresti was. I was taught how to read the manuver descriptions. I learned aresti later when I started fliyning Sportsman IMAC when the unknowns were handed out. I was just taught with descritptions.

After calling for years I still prefer to have the descritions. I keep my finger on the manuver that is being flown and can still watch the flight. I have no problems looking at another airplane and going right back to the call sheet. Nobody is looking for other airplanes when you are calling a manuver from aresti either. Not trying to say one is better but just my views from the descriptions.

As you said it is whatever you prefer best.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts

Well Judge,

The pilot that flew at the "TOC" should have known better to start with. He (the pilot) should have known himself which direction he should have been going. I would blame that on lack of preparation not a bad call sheet. He must have flown 2 1/2 rolls instead of 2. Again I always have an aresti behind the descritions in case that does happen but I have never once used it.

I can also remember plenty of times that pilots flew the sequence the wrong way only because the caller didnt tell him he was going the wrong way. I have judged to!

I would think the IAC pilot doesnt have a caller for him either. I cant remember the last time I looked at the aresti while I was flying an unknown! Two different aspects.
Last edited by T BYRD; 10-25-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,548 Posts

Well I won't argue with your success. But on the whole I think that once learned Aresti is faster and less error prone. But in the end, everyone needs to do what works best for them.

BTW - it was an Unknown at the TOC which makes it less likely that he had the whole thing in his head. The pilot over rotated a downline roll and exited in the wrong direction. At some point we think he realized it, but by then he was toast. The best part was the standing ovation the crowd gave him. We just sat there looking at the score sheets with all the zeros on it and were amazed. Oh well.

One more comment. IAC pilots do NOT use written narratives because they do not have the time to read while flying. They get everything they need from the Aresti in an instant.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Last edited by Judge; 10-25-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 AM
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts

Not sure why you are out to argue my idea. We as pilots CAN NOT LOOK AT THE SEQUENCE WHILE WE FLY. We rely on someone to hopefully know what everything is and to say for example "hammerhead" instead of "stall turn".

I wanted to put my views on here and show others there is another way to skin a cat. People do things differently than others. That is all I am trying to show here.
Last edited by T BYRD; 10-26-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,761 Posts

Minty

Do you have sirius in your jet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thats good stuff Trent.

Just my .02
My problem with written descriptions are two things..

1- Nobody is watching for traffic while stuff is being read.
2- Theres no need to learn to read Aresti.

Once you can read the Aresti (I dont mean you, I know you can Trent) calling becomes so easy. A quick look at the figure and elements is all thats required. Then you can watch the plane as its going through that figure and re-call the elements without having to look back down at the sheet.
Thats what works for me and the guys who I call for and who call for me.

Bottom line, do what works best for you.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,761 Posts

Is this the offical sequence? On number three we go from pulling a half loop to pushing a snap from upright at bottom?
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 10-26-2007, 02:32 AM
WORLD FAMOUS
Las Vegas,NV
Joined Jan 2006
104 Posts

Tony,

This is an example of the 2005 unlimited unknown at the regionals. I couldnt find the aresti or I would have posted that as well. I just wanted to see if people wanted me to write out sequences for the upcoming year.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Find More Posts by prizzy
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

I like to write it out so anyone can call, and calling styles do not place added thinking while flying. I can see both points though. I would like to see the written narratives for '08. Thanks for your work.
prizzy is offline Find More Posts by prizzy
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by rcplanefan
Super Contributor
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Jan 2006
429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T BYRD View Post
Tony,

This is an example of the 2005 unlimited unknown at the regionals. I couldnt find the aresti or I would have posted that as well. I just wanted to see if people wanted me to write out sequences for the upcoming year.
Trent - write them out! It can only help, and I'd be very interested to read what you write. Thanks for taking the time.

Ken
rcplanefan is offline Find More Posts by rcplanefan
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by DKnippen
In The Box
bloomingdale, IL USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,478 Posts

I was Judging the Unknown Advanced at our Regionals and two pilots in a row ended up flying the wrong way half way through the sequence. The callers couldn't help because they were calling off of what the Pilots had written and couldn't even follow the sequence because they were to busy reading. I was compelled to say stop! Your flying the in the wrong direction. Most of us call off the Aristi with a minimum of notes. Easy for the Pilot and sometimes new caller you have to round up to call for you.
DKnippen is offline Find More Posts by DKnippen
Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Minty