logo
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Well it got them quite a bit for 4 decades!
Sure till Horizon hit the marketplace......then Hobbyking was/is the nail in the coffin.
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dazzler View Post
America as a society has dumbed itself down to that of fat people obsessed with their electronic devices and would rather live their life out on social media than have a real one. Sad
That reminds me of my son. In high school, I used to ask him why he was home on Friday night. "Why aren't you out socializing with your friends?" Oh he said, I am socializing with my friends on FB. We argued. No you're not! At 25, he has other interests now like rock climbing and he and I play racquetball, but he has no interest in RC, even when I have all the gear.

I brought my 14yo step grandson to our field. There were jets, 30% planes, great pilots. No one under 30 though. We even had a trainer for him. He sat on his phone most of the day, a good part of it in the clubhouse with AC. I would have killed for a day like that when I as 14.
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
That reminds me of my son. In high school, I used to ask him why he was home on Friday night. "Why aren't you out socializing with your friends?" Oh he said, I am socializing with my friends on FB. We argued. No you're not! At 25, he has other interests now like rock climbing and he and I play racquetball, but he has no interest in RC, even when I have all the gear.

I brought my 14yo step grandson to our field. There were jets, 30% planes, great pilots. No one under 30 though. We even had a trainer for him. He sat on his phone most of the day, a good part of it in the clubhouse with AC. I would have killed for a day like that when I as 14.
sigh.......... kids!?
scootr is offline Find More Posts by scootr
Old 01-13-2018, 01:40 AM
Find More Posts by edgarfov
Joined Dec 2010
119 Posts
My one and a half cent...
Too much four or more inch screens cellular stuff , killed the minds of too many youngsters
I have seen how palm hands melt into useless strobbing thumbs howling on the touch screen
in speeds that wont embarrass sweating 3D giant scale master doing his routins.. and for what..
This technology needs a guide like one would need when mastering a sword.
Enjoying the build , no matter if its an ARF of a bunch of woods waiting to be cut.
is rare to non present these days.
edgarfov is online now Find More Posts by edgarfov
Old 01-13-2018, 03:36 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
The whole hobby business model has never made sense .... since forever!
Yes, pretty much 95% of LHSs were started and run as a hobby for the owners. The margins are appalling, suppliers unsupportive, customers demanding, range needed to supply the local market excessive.

We used to sell plastic kits, they were a nice little earner, we would often buy the more popular ones from the local supermarket because our supplier would only sell a random mixed box which was half full of stuff we could never sell, and had none of the ones that walked off the shelf as soon as they came in stock, and the wholesale price was the same as the supermarket retail price, but the supermarkets only stocked the popular ones. So when new stock came in there we would buy up all the good ones and put them on our shelves with the assorted less popular ones our wholesaler supplied. That is a ridiculous way to treat a small shop.

When a new to market product came in form a supplier in limited quantities, we might have 20 or 30 back orders, but the wholesaler would fulfill orders from the big chains before we ever got a look in, so half the preorders we had to issue refunds and the customers had ended up buying elsewhere because they were fed up with the wait. Next time the customer wanted the new product they wouldn’t even bother waiting for the small retailer to get the stock and just go online instead, we drove the sales, other people made the profit. One mega popular new product we never even saw an order for 2 years after it came to market, had we actually received some from the get go we could have had 2 or 3 hundred sales. By the time we got some to sell most people had bought elsewhere.

The most popular kit in the UK by far then used to have such low margins ( 15%) , had to be paid in full on order, we made zero out of sales, that 15% had to cover credit card fees, shipping, and sales costs, we also had to buy quite a few at once. So the stock hung around, so not only was no money made, but we would be out of pocket for a month or two with each order. We did it solely as half the buyers also bought a new engine or a few servos.

The local model wholesaler used to send prospective buyers to our shop to look at their radios and engines, and then tell the buyers to come back to the wholesaler so they could sell them direct for less than we could. It was so bad we stopped carrying in stock all their main products. They now do direct sales more openly.

I could carry on for weeks, but basically the LHS would always get screwed by the wholesaler because they could, but eventually the lack of LHS to buy and resell their goods has reached critical mass so their business model starts to fail too.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by southerngent
United States, SC, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2006
53 Posts
Quote:
I could carry on for weeks, but basically the LHS would always get screwed by the wholesaler because they could, but eventually the lack of LHS to buy and resell their goods has reached critical mass so their business model starts to fail too.
Bingo!
IMO, you just nailed it!
southerngent is online now Find More Posts by southerngent
Old 01-13-2018, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by EnglishSteveInOz
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2015
39 Posts
Now the manufacturer is doing to the wholesaler what the wholesaler did to the LHS - sounds evil but you have to ask why - if the distribution model was working before, why blow it up?

Probably I think there isn’t enough margin in the supply chain to support three businesses, so restructuring had to happen...and now it is happening again
EnglishSteveInOz is offline Find More Posts by EnglishSteveInOz
Last edited by EnglishSteveInOz; 01-13-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,059 Posts
The future is manufacturer or importer to retail customer direct, less fingers in the pie, more niche manufacturers who can make enough to stay in business yet offer decent customer service and product quality.

With just a few big mail order shops carrying a wide product range.

There was always sufficient margin in the supply chain, it was unlike most business never weighted towards the retailer. In clothes the retail margin is 400% plus, those 50$ jeans you are wearing were bought for $12 from the wholesaler. Who made perhaps 2 or 3 bucks on the sale, it worked for them since they shifted large numbers, That 50 $ retail servo you are about to use cost the shop $37 and gets sold for a slight discount due to the online competition. The wholesaler/importer making 15 to 20$ per servo, the shop maybe $10, which since the bricks and mortar LHS had such high cost of business , it isn’t adequate for a sustainable business.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
1,996 Posts
Being in the middle of the 'boomer generation' I can remember drooling over the old Sears Wish Book, just aching for a Cox airplane or car......never got one because money was always too tight.

Can also remember walking to our little downtown area, where the local hobbyshop had all sorts of goodies in their big glass showcase windows....saved my money and was able to buy a couple Revell model cars ... $2 to $4 I believe.

Biggest difference I see.....our 'world' was the neighborhood, close schools, good friends, and every grown up was 'your parent' .... one quick dial of 7 digits and Mom/Dad would know of your misdeeds. In this world I dreamed of being a pilot, read great SciFi books and thought about what it'd be like to be on another planet. Also helped that we were in a 'space race' with those darn Russians and every Tuesday morning at 10:00 am the air raid siren went off and we practiced 'duck and cover' under our desks or in the hallways at school

Nowadays THE WORLD is our children and grandchildren's neighborhood....they can make friends easier with someone half way across the world then a kid down the street.....thanks to the Internet. This also gives them a world of options for spending their time on.......a lot of which requires minimal, if any, real effort or commitment. Why spend weeks/months on a plane (whether building or learning to fly) when immediate gratification can be gained by 'simulated flying' of F-16's, space ships, etc.

I have three grandchildren and all of them are curious about Grandpa's stable of planes.....but give them a portable device and their fingers / minds are glued to it until pried away.....but I gotta keep trying

Don't know how LHS's can survive but I keep frequenting mine because the prices are decent and I like to be able to 'check out' items before buying
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by barron
United States, VA, Maurertown
Joined Jan 2006
375 Posts
Here is my 2 cents, everyone wants instant results these days. A lot of it is the work loads people have. Myself I have a few arfs , but I enjoy building my own aircraft. It gives me a relaxed feeling and pride in the finished product.
barron is offline Find More Posts by barron
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post
Being in the middle of the 'boomer generation' I can remember drooling over the old Sears Wish Book, just aching for a Cox airplane or car......never got one because money was always too tight.
Me too. I wanted one so bad I could taste it. I didn't get if for my birthday. My younger brother got it three months later. I was never so jealous of him! I finally got one from a church garage sale.

Quote:
Can also remember walking to our little downtown area, where the local hobbyshop had all sorts of goodies in their big glass showcase windows....saved my money and was able to buy a couple Revell model cars ... $2 to $4 I believe.
Yeah walking. What a concept! We walked to the mall and drooled over the giant scale warbird trainer they had hanging from the ceiling. I spent money I earned working, not that Mama gave me. You could do that when I was a kid.
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,059 Posts
Cox? , jeez you guys had it easy, we had to make do with lusting after a Testors tethered planes, the cox stuff in the late 70s was hard to find and way more expensive in my country.

I seem to remember them with a throttle somehow, my memory from those days is very patchy though.

I still have all my Telco co2 motors I bought as a kid, 4 or 5 of them, no chargers though, they had some nice pretty foamy free flight models, Ryan STA and a Citabria spring to mind. Walk to the LHS and save up your pennies for them.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Wamsy55
Nashville , Tn
Joined Oct 2010
145 Posts
I am 23, been flying since I was 15.

Say what you want about millennials or young people or what ever group of people you want to blame for a poor trend BUT.

1. It's expensive. Most kids don't have the money for this hobby. I was lucky.

2. It's a niche market reguardless. It is never going to be mainstream.

3. Modelers shouldn't be afraid of new trends and ideas. Drones are cool, deal with it. Not everyone wants to stick build, not everyone wants to learn the hard way. If I had a dollar for everyone comment that went like " damn drones ruined everything", I could bail Hobbico from bankruptcy. Bad mindsets of modelers are not helping.

5. Companies finally gotta realize that reselling Chinesse junk isn't profitable in the long run.

6. Support the companies who support the industry. So many give what little they have to events and such. Don't forget them.

Moral of the story, it's the roller coaster of business and technology. Want more people to fly? Share and promote it. Simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by Wamsy55
Last edited by Wamsy55; 01-14-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
890 Posts
I read Truckracer post that he posted earlier. Truckracer and myself fly have been flying for the last 10 years we both have been in the hobby for over 40 plus years or so and he and i have been talking about this very subject for the last couple years. I agree 100% on what he wrote. I have 21 grand kids between my wife and i and out of the 21 kids only 1 has expressed any interest in learning more about the hobby of flying and wanting to learn from the ground up. Like Truckracer said the younger kids cant look up from their phones or other electronic devices long enough to even observe 15 or so RC planes in a basement shop or garage and all my planes are in a detached garage at my Condo . I have had numerous kids in the age group of 10 to 17 years old stop and look at my planes in my garage when its flying season . Most of them just say the planes are really cool and usually say how long does it take to learn how to fly one and when i say a long time and alot of patients and lots of money they just walk away because they just want something they can learn in a couple days and when i mention how long it use to take to build a full kit --- box of sticks before ARFs came out they just look at me and walk away. I am so glad at age 67 i wasnt exposed to the cell phones and video games of todays world. When i was a kid i spent all my spare time outside shooting baskets , playing football in our yard or just sitting under a light pole in the street talking to my friends late at night . That was in the mid to late 50s when we were lucky to even have a TV and 3 or 4 channels. I really think we were better off than in todays world of INFORMATION Overload. Our minds or at least mine cant even keep up with all the info that you hear on TV - Media. I could go on but this is a interesting thread.
BAS is offline Find More Posts by BAS
Last edited by BAS; 01-14-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,165 Posts
Regarding modeling being expensive, when wasn't it expensive? Yet every young person I know today has far, far more disposable $$ to spend today than I had as a kid. Add to that, I had far more than my parents had at the same age. You learn to buy what you can afford and enjoy it for what it is.

Regarding getting into the hobby on a budget, many older RCers have perfectly good equipment they no longer use. Many of us would give some of this equipment to those young or old willing to use and appreciate it. Yet some of my offers have been turned down on several occasions because I wasn't giving away something that was the latest and greatest. They only wanted the newest technology or nothing at all. Go figure .... On other occasions though I have been thrilled to pass along things to those who will use and appreciate something for nothing.

Over the years, quite a few people have passed things (and knowledge) on to me and I have been damn thankful in every case. For me, passing it on is just part of our hobby.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply