logo
Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Just like last year, I'm in deep dive mode for the upcoming Joe Nall event at Triple Tree in SC. I'm up to my neck in embroidery and the next 3 weeks are focused on that. Hopefully, the weather will be congenial this time around. I've been doing the embroidery for the Joe Nall, for the past 22 years (this will be the 23rd) and last year was the first time in all those years that it was canceled.

In the meantime, Primo has finished the back end, stabs included, and will progress to the wings this weekend. The rain may put a damper on the spraying tonight (humidity) but he will work on the taping out of the wings. After seeing the photos last night, I'm beginning to wonder if I want to fly this baby or just carry it to the field and assemble it!! GREAT JOB, Primo!!

In other news, Craig Baker did the maiden flight on his Leonardo last weekend. He had a total of 3 flights and he never had to click any trims at all after take-off... He was just amazed at how well his Leo flew. My adrenaline is churning just talking about it!! Using the PowerBox Mercury's "Flight Assistant" he had no issues fine tuning the gyro in-flight.

Well.... back to work...I hear the machines calling.
W
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Last edited by wmat7039; 04-19-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Now you have me thinking about jets. Seems like alot of guys around here have Boomerangs, but that is just not my cup of tea, nor would a giant Leonardo at the other end of the scale. Any recommendations for a starting plane that won't be boring after a short time?
I started with a TopRC odyssey. It is a sports jet but has very low wing loading which makes it very easy to fly (LAND) when they say jet easier to fly they probably mean easier to land. It is not the most expensive jet out there which is a plus for a first jet. Moreover it is big for what it cost to buy you won't find any other jet in the same size for the same price. Quality is good but needs some improvements that you could do during your build. The best decision I have ever made is skip the boomerang step.

This is flight number 10 (ever on a turbine)

TopRC Odyssey (4 min 42 sec)
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 04-19-2019, 08:35 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
That has more to do with pilot skill than it does airframe performance. Even tho you may have done lots of KE's with piston power, the first time you stand a turbine on one wing, you WILL experience pucker factor.....

Almost any of the turbines will do almost any of the maneuvers, take a look at last year's Red Flag videos. Then go to the Free Style videos and watch those guys really spank those turbines, they will do it all.
Agreed I flew circles with my turbine for a while before I started doing any maneuvers because of the pucker factor. Until you get used to the fact you are flying a jet it is stressful at the beginning lol
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
The weather finally cooperated and I was able to get the futura out and get the first flights after switching engines... got 4 flights and it was running good. Now time to start practicing!
This is one sexy beast. I love the Futuras what engine you had and what did you put in it?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Happy Easter to everyone. I do hope we remember the real reason for Easter... and it's not the Easter Bunny!!

Since I'm waiting and embroidering, I decided to tackle something that may or may not "perk" the interest of some pilots regarding finding out a little more about actually flying the F3S sequence and what the judges should be looking for. Initially, I will concentrate on the center maneuvers, since these will take a bit more attention than what Scale Aerobatics pilots are used to.

In F3S, all center maneuvers have to be performed on the center line (which would be marked out at an event). Airspeed, timing and attention to the criteria are extremely important. The setup for these maneuvers would have to be planned at least two maneuvers ahead (except for the first maneuver). This would entail spacing the prior end box maneuver within the box specs and exiting at the speed and pace for entering the center.

The first maneuver is a full inside loop with a roll performed at the apex of the loop. The difference here is that the "hash marks" in F3S indicates that the roll element needs to be performed at the top 90° of the loop. Technically, this would mean that the pilot will have to pull through 135° of the loop, before starting the roll element. Halfway through the roll, at the apex of the loop, the aircraft should be upright, then continuing through the roll and ending it at the 225° position. This basically would be the 2 o'clock and the 10 o'clock positions.

Once the radius is established, that radius has to be kept throughout the loop, including the rolling portion, all the way around. If not, you will incur deductions.

In scale aerobatics, as long as you center the element at the apex, it does not matter where you start the roll. Also, it does not matter if you perform the maneuver in the center or not, since there is no center line in S/A.

I have added the F3S sequence with the written details on the 3rd page in a .PFD format.
Wayne
Last edited by wmat7039; 04-21-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:27 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
The next center maneuver is #3 on the F3S sequence. The exit from #2 will establish how much space the pilot has to perform it within. We will discuss what should be flown by the pilot.

(3) Opposite Knife-edge Flight
From upright, perform a ¼ roll to knife-edge flight, perform a ½ roll in the opposite direction, to knife-edge flight, perform a ¼ roll, exit upright.

The pilot will roll 90° (¼ roll) to knife edge and hold to show knife edge flight. Then at the same roll rate that was established initially, must roll opposite 180° (½ roll) to show opposite knife edge flight. Finally, rolling opposite 90° (¼ roll) to end upright and continuing into maneuver #4.

With centering criteria, this is definitely not an easy maneuver as it may sound. Because the pilot has to be upright at the center line during his/her ½ roll, the pilot has to have the proper speed and roll rate of the first ¼ roll, to be at the correct placement at the right time when the aircraft is at center. In addition, the entire maneuver has to be centered.

This is why, although the F3S sequence appears to be simpler than a Scale Aerobatics sequence, the added difficulties with timing, pacing, planning and centering, "hones" different sets of skills for the Jet Aerobatics & Pattern pilot.
Wayne
Last edited by wmat7039; 04-28-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by bluelevel
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined May 2008
234 Posts
Wayne, how many pilots do you expect at the Tennessee event? I have not found a Youtube or similar video online that shows someone flying the F3S known sequence, or am wrong?
bluelevel is offline Find More Posts by bluelevel
Old 04-28-2019, 03:44 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelevel View Post
Wayne, how many pilots do you expect at the Tennessee event? I have not found a Youtube or similar video online that shows someone flying the F3S known sequence, or am wrong?
Hey there.... As far as I understand, 14 pilots up to now, including Mike McConville. This includes a few Scale pilots. I do hope that the numbers will increase a bit. As of now, there are pilots coming from as far West as Texas and South as Miami.

Regarding the video.... If I did not have my accident, I would have done one for the 2019 sequence. The interest has grown, especially in the EDF genre. There are going to be two EDF events which are added to two Pattern events this year. One in N. Carolina and one in GA. We will see where this will take F3S this year.

You should come take a look at the NATS event if you can.

Wonders will never cease. In the near future, there is a high possibility that Scale Aerobatics may be taking another look at centering in their criteria. Who knows... the future will tell.
Wayne
Old 04-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Joined May 2008
234 Posts
Where do I find info on the F3s event in GA?
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Quote:
+1.
Have dates and locations been set?

I am assuming this would be held at GaJets?
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 04-28-2019, 06:14 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
The EDF event that is going to be combined with a Pattern contest will be held at MAC Hodges’ field in Andersonville GA.
Date: Saturday, June 01, 2019 - Sunday, June 02, 2019
Peach Pattern D2/D3 Shootout at Mac Hodges located in Andersonville, GA
Please contact Rob Campbell
Event type: Contests - D3

Results URL: https://www.nsrca.us

I found it on the NSRCA website.

Are you by chance the person who wrote the build thread on a Leonardo on RC Universe?
Wayne
Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
+1.
Have dates and locations been set?

I am assuming this would be held at GaJets?
This is an experiment that Pattern is undertaking. It will not include turbines at the GA event, only EDF Jets, and will be held at MAC Hodges listed above.
Wayne
Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Joined May 2008
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
Are you by chance the person who wrote the build thread on a Leonardo on RC Universe?
Wayne
yes, I had two of them
Old 04-28-2019, 06:22 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
yes, I had two of them
AHA.......Thanks for doing that thread. I took a look and derived some in-depth details that were needed. My friend who maidened his Leo last week used the CG that you wrote about and it worked perfectly.
I do hope to meet up with you one of these days....hopefully soon.
Wayne
Old 04-28-2019, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2008
234 Posts
Wayne,

I believe that the Central and South Florida region has the most active jet pilots on the East Coast, so I am very certain that there would be great interest in having an event here in SWFL. Our local club has a 600ft paved runway, very wide and open flying space and is always happy to try new things.

Please contact me via PN if there is interest in adding another event to the schedule. Preferrably towards the end of the year when the weather is starting to turn bad up north and the temperatures are getting bearable down here.

Thomas

Quick Reply