logo
Old 04-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,541 Posts
Discussion
RTR builds JTEC 2.8 MX2 and 3.1 Giles 202

After having a wonderful time building two of the new 43% Kam Aero's for our friends Jerry in California and John in New York, it's Wieslaw's turn from Poland to get his two JTEC aircraft.

I would also like to add a thank you to all that came by the IMAC booth at Toledo and mentioned that they enjoyed our build threads.

This is the first time that Ron, Ralph and I have built one of Al and Kevin's new style of very quick build aircraft. Some might remember a few years ago that we built two of the JTEC 1/3 scale clipped wing Taylorcrafts, but that is a whole different animal. We have really been looking forward to this build and we hope you enjoy it as well.

We will be building the 2.8 m MX2 that will be powered by a DA120, Wieslaw's primary mission for this aircraft will be for 3D flight. The second aircraft is the new 3.1 Giles 202 to be powered by a DA200 and its mission is strictly IMAC.

Normally we would start out building both simultaneously, but right now we are missing the fuse parts for the 3.1 Giles. Al and Kevin when they get back from Toledo will send us those parts. So we are starting with building the 2.8m MX2 for now.

After a quick inventory of the motor box and fuse parts, we dried assembled the motor box, this is the first 4 photos, no glue. Everything fit perfectly, we expected nothing less. We ordered some Hysol 9462 epoxy, dispensing guns and mix nozzles from McMaster-Carr but they will not arrive till later tomorrow. So for now we took everything apart and glued it back together with Titebond II. When the Hysol arrives we will then add a fillet to all of the glue joints.

While the motor box was curing, we constructed the two fuse sides. I really must say the JTEC method of interlocking balsa fuse sides with the light ply doublers over where the fuse sides join plus the doublers over the wing and stab area and the top and bottom longerons really make for a quick build.

The fuse top was next, the front section is light ply and the interlocking rear section is balsa and was glued together with Titebond II. All of the parts we used so far are laser cut, labeled and imposable to use incorrectly. Even the most novice builder should not be intimidated by this construction method.

With the fuse top cured and the motor box as well, we glued the motor box to the fuse top again with Titebond II and then as per the supplied instructions glued fuse formers 4 through 9 vertically to the fuse top using speed angles and tape to make sure they say vertical as they cure.

If we had another half hour we could have glued the fuse sides in place and had just about the fuse all framed up. But that will wait until tomorrow.

We are impressed with the quickness of this build so far and are looking forward to the next steps.

Tom
tom wheeler is offline Find More Posts by tom wheeler
Last edited by tom wheeler; 04-09-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,222 Posts
Oh this is going to be good. love watching those builds.

Kim Quenette
kim3D is offline Find More Posts by kim3D
Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by flymedic
Huckin Fire Trucker
United States, AZ, Littlefield
Joined Jan 2008
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3D View Post
Oh this is going to be good. love watching those builds.

Kim Quenette
Ditto Kim
flymedic is offline Find More Posts by flymedic
Old 04-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Wharfrat4Life
West LA Fade Away
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2015
24 Posts
Good; No withdrawals while waiting. Looking forward to this one.
Wharfrat4Life is offline Find More Posts by Wharfrat4Life
Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Ronald Wlosinski
United States, MI, Troy
Joined Aug 2009
130 Posts
It was a pleasure meeting Al and Kevin at the Toledo show. This build should move quickly. So far the part fit is very good.
Ron
Ronald Wlosinski is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Wlosinski
Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
KEITH RUSH
Hemet, CA
Joined Mar 2006
596 Posts
I'm as equally excited as Kim. His and Santi's MX2's fly so well. Can't wait to see what you guys have planned for both of these.
Keith
KEITH RUSH is offline Find More Posts by KEITH RUSH
Old 04-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Beej
Joined Feb 2012
254 Posts
I have finished the fuse on my 2.8 mx2 CS with the exception of the sheeting for the hatch, belly pan and turtledeck. Think I will slow up now and let this thread develop a bit and pick up some great tips from the masters!
Beej is offline Find More Posts by Beej
Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
The only thing I dislike about the way the JTEC kits build is the use of speed squares. I wonder if you could put the formers in and then glue in the fuse sides all at once to avoid using the squares?

Other than that I love their build method and plan to order a 2.8 something. I am leaning toward the giles.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by Beej
Joined Feb 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cannon View Post
The only thing I dislike about the way the JTEC kits build is the use of speed squares. I wonder if you could put the formers in and then glue in the fuse sides all at once to avoid using the squares?

Other than that I love their build method and plan to order a 2.8 something. I am leaning toward the giles.
That's what I did - assembled and glued the motor box (titebond II/hysol), glued on the top plate (epoxy), made up the fuse sides with longerons etc (titebond) then assembled the whole thing "dry" (ie no glue on formers) and then when it was all built used a brush to work the titebond into all the former joints and clamped tight. Rock solid and perfectly aligned. Before putting it all together that way it's worth checking the clearance around the wing tube - might need a very light sand and easier whilst its accessible. My wife said the whole thing reminded her of a meccano set - which is a compliment to Al and Kevin I guess!
Beej is offline Find More Posts by Beej
Old 04-10-2018, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by Cervelo
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Aug 2014
62 Posts
My MX2 should be here next week looking for ward to this and following along as I build mine
Cervelo is offline Find More Posts by Cervelo
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cannon View Post

I think the squares just kind of depends on personal preference. If you know you have time to put the fuse side on then I don't really bother personally because the top plate is tabbed for the formers and so are the fuse sides so everything should come together nicely.
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by ibow24
Mohnton, Pa
Joined Oct 2006
274 Posts
Awesome! When it comes to giant scale I've only built Carden's but I'm enjoying see how the different kits go together. Thanks for taking the time to document the build for us!
Steve
ibow24 is offline Find More Posts by ibow24
Old 04-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Just a note on the 3.1 Giles. The original build was to be done by someone else who could not complete the builds due to life issue. Arrangements were made for Tom and Ron to do the builds. The kits had to be ship from the original builder to Tom and Ron. The fuselage had been started but it was felt it would be to hard to ship built. That is the reason the 3.1 Giles is mising the fuselage parts. We ship the kits complete.

Al
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 04-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
835 Posts
Subscribing. Make that wood fly!
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 04-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,541 Posts
We had a rather short day to work, in order to pick up fellow IMAC booth worker and friend, Greg Brausa from the hospital in Toledo. Friday morning just before the doors open for the show, Greg was showing signs of a heart attack. Mike Karnes was first to spot it, Greg told Mike he thought it would pass, Mike got a hold of me and I saw him and called 911. Greg did have a minor heart attack and ended up having three stints inserted yesterday. They released him today and I drove down to return him home. Thanks to following; Mike for spotting the signs, the Toledo Fire and Rescue, the Park Inn hotel staff, St. Vincent's Heart Center, and our local club members who drove Greg's car back home Saturday. In any case he is doing well and should have a quick and full recovery.

Now back to what we were able to do today. The first two pictures is the fuse ready to except the landing gear mounts and the fuse sides.

JTEC's landing gear mounting system is very clever, strong, light and very easy to attach and mount the gear. There are already three holes on the bottom sides of the motor box that are used to attach the aluminum angle landing gear mounts. You simply place the aluminum so that it's flush against the motor box and also with the ply cut out for the gear. Now mark the hole locations and drill them for in this case, 6-32 bolts. The bolts with the hex heads and washers are pushed through the motor box from the inside out and 6-32 blind nuts and 1/4" wood donuts are glued to the outside of the motor box.

If you do not wish to make your gear removable or easy to remove, you can simply center the gear, left, right, forward and aft, drill through the carbon fiber gear and aluminum mounts then nut and bolt everything together.

Since we at this time do not know how we are shipping these aircraft to Poland, we wanted to make the gear easy to remove. It is also the way we like to do all of our aircraft. What we do is cut a 1/4" aircraft ply piece that we will mount to underside of the aluminum mounting plate and use 8-32 blind nuts for the gear to mount to. To hold the plywood plates in place, we drill holes in front of and behind the gear area to secure the plywood in place. This process is shown in pictures 3 through 12.

As a little tip and help to make sure the gear is perpendicular to the fuse and in it's correct position, we placed a scrap 3/8 x 3/8" long stick between the rear of the gear and the aft landing gear former. Of course everything was clamped in place for drilling.

The only other thing we were able to do on our shorten day was to glue in place both of the optional radio equipment trays between F3 and F4 and F4 and F5.

Tom
tom wheeler is offline Find More Posts by tom wheeler

Quick Reply