logo
Old 08-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by 757RCflyer
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined May 2018
53 Posts
Discussion
DA170 vs. DLE170

I have noticed(atleast lately) that when it comes to larger CC gassers that DLE170's are selling much faster on here than DA170's are. I thought that most guys prefer a DA over a DLE? I have one of each currently on 2 of my planes - DA120 and a DLE170. I am getting ready to buy another 170 for a Pilot RC 42% Edge 540 V3. Hence the reason for the post.

Thanks in advance!
757RCflyer is offline Find More Posts by 757RCflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,255 Posts
To answer your question? What sells for less, a used DLE 170 or a used DA 170?

IF you can get the same power for less money, I think that is why you will see the trend you observed.

Use what ever you like best and what fits your budget and gives you enjoyment.

I have owned a DLE 35 cc, and the motor was reliable and awesome.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2018
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
To answer your question? What sells for less, a used DLE 170 or a used DA 170?

IF you can get the same power for less money, I think that is why you will see the trend you observed.

Use what ever you like best and what fits your budget and gives you enjoyment.

I have owned a DLE 35 cc, and the motor was reliable and awesome.

I should have mentioned in my post, putting the $$ difference aside when it comes to brand new ones. With that said, I'm seeing used 170-200 size DA's and DLE's selling in the classifieds for about the same money. And the DLE's still seem to be moving quicker than the DA's are. Atleast, that seems to be the trend as of lately......
Last edited by 757RCflyer; 08-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,304 Posts
you get what you pay for , DA isn't the same as a DLE and don't care to compare
airboss/oc is online now Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,135 Posts
coming from one who have never owned either a DA 170 or DLE anything.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
618 Posts
If you're trying to decide on a purely performance base, I would say the DLE-170. I know I'll probably take heat for this comment but... Several years ago there was a Pilot 37.5% craze at our field. Seemed it was the plane everyone had. A few had DLE-170 like myself, and a couple others had DA-170's. Two different DA owners switched over to DLE-170 for more power and a smoother idle. Mind you, I'm talking about the 170's only, and I'm not referring to reliability, ease of service, or supporting an US company. That said, all of the DLE-170's mentioned are still running. From what I'm told, the DA-170 is a great engine, just not powerful for it's class.

Scott
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 08-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2010
4,135 Posts
The DA is ported to make optimal power with pipes, which obviously adds considerable cost. I went with a DLE on stock mufflers for that reason, and it's been a great engine. But...I don't kid myself that it will run with the DA 170s on pipes run by many of my buds. Also, the early DA 170s were god awful strong, but tough to tune, and the engine was detuned to make it a bit more friendly. Aside from displacement I don't think these engines have much in common. No one takes a Honda vs BMW comparison seriously, and that's what this is.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
Of all the DA vs DLE comparisons I would say the 170's are the closest. Most DLE 170 owners seem to be happy with the purchase but I'm sure there are exceptions like everything.
jlc is offline Find More Posts by jlc
Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Joined May 2018
53 Posts
I greatly appreciate all of the input/ opinions. With that said, I decided to go with a very well taken care of DA170 that I bought yesterday for only $850.00 along with a new in the pack set of Bowman gaskets & rings. I consider that to be a very good deal in my eyes. Plus I already have a brand new in the box set of headers and canisters sitting on my RC shelf that will be used, that'll be going into the new 42% Pilot RC Edge 540 V3 I'm getting soon. I'll be able to do a relatively fair side by side comparison to a DA170 and a DLE170. As I have a DLE170 with stock mufflers in my 3.1m Hangar9 Sukhoi which flies like a dream but yet is an absolute beast when you open it up to it's true potential.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
4,135 Posts
Sorry, but not a really valid test with canisters....not the same as a tuned pipe. DA bolts are one time use and spec'd so if you open it up to replace the rings - which I doubt DA would endorse - you need new hardware. DA does not charge for labor for parts so if you have concerns as to wear you might want them go through it.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
It is well known that the DA170 has been de-tuned to make it more friendly to use, which puts in a less powerful category as the DLE-170.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,766 Posts
People compare brand to brand which is really a foolish thing to do, if you compare Engine to Engine you will get a better idea of what is a "better".

the DLE-170 is a BETTER engine than the DA-170. Better performance, reliability, and power on average. However, you can end up with a faulty carb in which case you 'll need to replace with an upgraded walbro or perform mods.

Doesn't mean DLE is a better engine maker, if you had asked about the 120 sized, there would be no question the DA-120 is far better engine than the DLE-111/DLE-120

Same for the DA-60, better than DLE-60/DLE-55

DA-35 better than DLE-35

DA-70 better than DLE-60 twin.

These are from my personal experience. THE DA-170 is the black sheep of the DA family
Alkaline is online now Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
It is well known that the DA170 has been de-tuned to make it more friendly to use, which puts in a less powerful category as the DLE-170.
Exactly, lowering compression is a stupid fix.
Alkaline is online now Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Joined May 2018
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Sorry, but not a really valid test with canisters....not the same as a tuned pipe. DA bolts are one time use and spec'd so if you open it up to replace the rings - which I doubt DA would endorse - you need new hardware. DA does not charge for labor for parts so if you have concerns as to wear you might want them go through it.
I didn't say I was gonna open up the engine and install parts/ do any upgrades myself. Nor did I state either that the side by side comparison would be 100% valid. And I personally would never work on any gas engine or do any upgrades myself. I'm happy and more than willing to send any of my engines in for service, etc when and if they need it. I just simply stated that the 170 I bought yesterday included the Bowman upgrades.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2018
53 Posts
So, to get the best I can out of the DA170 should I look to get a pair of tuned pipes for it, versus using the headers and canister set I already have here?

Quick Reply