logo
Old 10-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Kaiser Soze
United States, NY, Oneonta
Joined Oct 2018
1 Posts
Tiber XL is Awsome

I like the idea of both of these planes. They are exactly what I want to fly. That said, not a fan of checkerboard on the tail, I lean toward the yellow myself. Flaps doubling as ailerons would be nice as well. I would like to see and in flight demo, and maybe a tow hook mount for sailplane lauches as another instalable option. Just saying.

Very nice either way. Great looking plane. And most of all, Thank you from all of us for the chance to input, great relationship building there.
Kaiser Soze is offline Find More Posts by Kaiser Soze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Soze View Post
I like the idea of both of these planes. They are exactly what I want to fly. That said, not a fan of checkerboard on the tail, I lean toward the yellow myself. Flaps doubling as ailerons would be nice as well. I would like to see and in flight demo, and maybe a tow hook mount for sailplane lauches as another instalable option. Just saying.

Very nice either way. Great looking plane. And most of all, Thank you from all of us for the chance to input, great relationship building there.
great first post! welcome
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Thank you everyone who has taken time to give feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
I am just wrapping up some other projects and then I will write a wish list that will go to the vendor for the final sample aircraft.
After I write it. I will post what the final configuration is and show you guys/ gals what I have opted for.
Its been a bunch of fun trying something new. None of it can work without you. Our customers. Thank you!

Regards Ali
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Old 10-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by kenardanowski
Joined Jun 2009
2 Posts
Looks Good

Please keep a yellow or red so we can see it in the sky. Room for a twin gasser and large SOFT tires not foam.
kenardanowski is offline Find More Posts by kenardanowski
Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by FLYROGER
Mason, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
12 Posts
A computer transmitter will do that for you.
FLYROGER is offline Find More Posts by FLYROGER
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Color schemes.....

This is proving to be a tough one. I really liked the White and the yellow schemes on proto 1 and 2. Either worked for me. The yellow did stand out well in the air. However....
After listening to multiple pieces of feedback regarding the use of Black Ultracote, as well as watching how the two proto's fared in the Sun shine at Joe Nall. I decided to move away from black Ultracote. I looked at options for replacing the black and keeping the existing scheme. I didnt find anything that I was happy with? So I started looking at other schemes. So far, nothing has really reached out and grabbed me! Feel free to throw some suggestions at me. I am always willing to listen!
Right now. I am looking at the idea of simulating a sort of military look? Something like what guys have done to our Eflite Timber. What are your thoughts?

Regards Ali
Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by Mtnflyby
United States, WV, Clarksburg
Joined May 2015
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy View Post
Color schemes.....

This is proving to be a tough one. I really liked the White and the yellow schemes on proto 1 and 2. Either worked for me. The yellow did stand out well in the air. However....
After listening to multiple pieces of feedback regarding the use of Black Ultracote, as well as watching how the two proto's fared in the Sun shine at Joe Nall. I decided to move away from black Ultracote. I looked at options for replacing the black and keeping the existing scheme. I didnt find anything that I was happy with? So I started looking at other schemes. So far, nothing has really reached out and grabbed me! Feel free to throw some suggestions at me. I am always willing to listen!
Right now. I am looking at the idea of simulating a sort of military look? Something like what guys have done to our Eflite Timber. What are your thoughts?

Regards Ali
I think you need to stay towards something like the two prototypes in the beginning on this thread. At first glance I thought of the 3DHS Bigfoot. I think yellow will be a good seller. Just change the black to something else like blue.
Mtnflyby is offline Find More Posts by Mtnflyby
Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by dkalwishky
Warbird Lover
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Oct 2017
3 Posts
Agreed, I love the Yellow and I think replacing the black with blue would look great!
dkalwishky is offline Find More Posts by dkalwishky
Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by Plane Addicted
United States, MI, Zeeland
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Ali,

First of all thank you for allowing us to be part of the process. This is a great opportunity of us as the customer and Horizon Hobby. One suggestion on this concept would be to over state what the time frame of this process is. Allot of people will not understand that these are not final prototypes and think that production models are 30 to 60 days out. My limited understanding of what it takes to design, prototype and test a new models tells me that we won't see models to purchase until this time next year at the earliest.

Anyway, my thoughts on the Timber XL.

1) I love that it is a wood built airplane and not Z foam.
2) At first I really liked the white color scheme but there is something about the yellow one that is unique and would stand out from other models on the flight line.
3) I like the idea that is could be a STOL aircraft, big wing, large flaps that can go down 90 deg's, light and Agial. A real floater! But would there be a way to have both and lone and short wing? 5" bolt on wing extensions? The shorter wing would be cool for the days that you would want it to be more aerobatic(standard vs clip wing).
4) Power options, electric vs gas is a must.
5) Options for a tow release and bomb bay for candy drops.
6) I like the wing struts, yes yes.
7) I like the shorter nose version if that would works for both gas and electric. The longer nose looks a little funny to me. Maybe a compromise of something in between that would work for both gas and electric.
8) Easy attach wing and struts, removable stab would be nice also. Servos in the stab maybe?

That's my .02. Thanks again for allowing us to give you input on this project!

JohnR
Plane Addicted is offline Find More Posts by Plane Addicted
Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
I feel the longer wing with double bevel hinges for the full aileron or flap mixes would be the best overall option if 1 wing only is available. The light wing loading of the full span is why I loved the foam versions
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Addicted View Post
Ali,

First of all thank you for allowing us to be part of the process. This is a great opportunity of us as the customer and Horizon Hobby. One suggestion on this concept would be to over state what the time frame of this process is. Allot of people will not understand that these are not final prototypes and think that production models are 30 to 60 days out. My limited understanding of what it takes to design, prototype and test a new models tells me that we won't see models to purchase until this time next year at the earliest.

Anyway, my thoughts on the Timber XL.

1) I love that it is a wood built airplane and not Z foam.
2) At first I really liked the white color scheme but there is something about the yellow one that is unique and would stand out from other models on the flight line.
3) I like the idea that is could be a STOL aircraft, big wing, large flaps that can go down 90 deg's, light and Agial. A real floater! But would there be a way to have both and lone and short wing? 5" bolt on wing extensions? The shorter wing would be cool for the days that you would want it to be more aerobatic(standard vs clip wing).
4) Power options, electric vs gas is a must.
5) Options for a tow release and bomb bay for candy drops.
6) I like the wing struts, yes yes.
7) I like the shorter nose version if that would works for both gas and electric. The longer nose looks a little funny to me. Maybe a compromise of something in between that would work for both gas and electric.
8) Easy attach wing and struts, removable stab would be nice also. Servos in the stab maybe?

That's my .02. Thanks again for allowing us to give you input on this project!

JohnR
Thanks John,

I am hoping for a release date before this time next year. I am not in a position to speculate when exactly, but given where we are at right now. I dont anticipate a further 12 months from now. That being said. Anything can happen, so thus why I am not elaborating any further towards a more accurate release date.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkalwishky View Post
Agreed, I love the Yellow and I think replacing the black with blue would look great!
Yes, Yes! I like that idea.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by David Eichstedt
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Mar 2011
113 Posts
Ali, there are some cool military schemes on the U-6A Beaver (military DHC-2 Beaver, also called the L-20) for all 4 services that would look good on the Timber. Try a Google search on army DHC-2 Beaver as well as U-6A and L-20.
David Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by David Eichstedt
Old 10-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by The Beast
United States, OH, Hudson
Joined Jan 2017
61 Posts
I wouldnt buy another horizon hobby plane especially a big one they will discontinue it in a year or 2 like they have done with h9 stuff and evolution engines then your stuck they want you to keep spending and thats ok but they need to offer parts for at least 5 years imo
The Beast is offline Find More Posts by The Beast
Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I wouldnt buy another horizon hobby plane especially a big one they will discontinue it in a year or 2 like they have done with h9 stuff and evolution engines then your stuck they want you to keep spending and thats ok but they need to offer parts for at least 5 years imo
I am a Horizon Hobby Distributor. I agree that some parts should be available longer. And this applies to cars and quads and ..... I have filled shelves with HHD brands but they all don't sell at the same speed. I have acquired soon to be obsolete models off my own shelves and now they are mine to make the most of. I don't believe it is fair to sell a model to a customer that does not know that he won't be able to get a replacement part for it for long. I don't know that there are any hard rules on how long anything is available.
I could name a shop that has stacks of obsolete models in numbers that make them look like new releases. This is beyond HHD's control and I know they would not condone the practice but have no control over what retailers might do. Maybe look into how long a subject has been in production. Look at replacement part lists that pertain to the product in it's listing on the main site. Look to see how many of those parts are not available and parts that are already no longer available. Unpopular subjects can be deleted quickly. Some of them have a timeless appeal and have been around for many years. Inquire as to how long a subject has been available. Competition on Horizon is real in the world wide market. They don't make a lot on RC models and I make even less. I have always stocked up on venerable or key components for my own purposes. RC products have been discontinued regularly for the 30 years I have been buying them.

Thinking ahead and getting parts that are more prone to fail than others isn't a bad idea. If you don't need it, someone will. So you can likely recover your expense. I do know that there is no intent to put the customer out by deleting parts or products.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder

Quick Reply