logo

Bad Dog Smokes Atomizing Smoke Nozzles

Bad Dog Smokes has a new standard for smoke systems with the only Atomizing smoke oil injection nozzles and Atomizing turbine smoke tubes designed for RC use.

Splash

Atomizing Smoke Oil Injection Nozzles

Bad Dog Smokes has a new standard for smoke systems with the only Atomizing smoke oil injection nozzles and Atomizing turbine smoke tubes designed for RC use. These nozzles can really make a difference in reducing mess and increases smoke on times compared to conventional smoke fittings. If you like to smoke it out on the field, then you'll want to check these nozzles out. Here's a snippet from their website with info on why you should atomize.

"The reasons are clear, or should we say smoky? A very small orifice size decreases smoke oil consumption and increases smoke ON time per tank. Droplet size of fluid as it leaves the surface of the nozzle is extremely small which aids in faster vaporization of smoke fluid. Expelled fluid velocity is slowed substantially aiding in more complete burning or smoke generation. This minimizes inherent muffler cooling and unburnt blow-by resulting in an oil covered airframe. Added features such as depth of spray adjustment, rotational directionality & consistency in flow volume and spray pattern."

Learn more at Bad Dog Smokes

Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Seems to be a great product but Iíve been trying to buy a couple turbine nozzles for months and cannot get a reply.

Danny
F1 Rocket is online now Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
Bad Dog Smokes
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Seems to be a great product but I’ve been trying to buy a couple turbine nozzles for months and cannot get a reply.

Danny
Hi Danny, I'm sorry if I missed your attempts at contacting me. I just sent you a PM here on the forum to confirm the message comes thru.
Your always welcome to contact me at my direct email as well.
baddogsmokes@gmail.com

Thanks H
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
993 Posts
Nice header I lost the airplane couple months ago unfortunately.

Nice article thank you
aalfawaz is online now Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 10-13-2018, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by bruceextra300
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined May 2016
3 Posts
great guy to deal with and a fantastic product. Produce way more smoke- use a lot less smoke oil- less clean up and I have reduced the weight of my airplanes by putting in smaller oil tanks. I've purchased 20 plus nozzles and couldn't be happier.

Bruce Sobbry
bruceextra300 is offline Find More Posts by bruceextra300
Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Jon Evans
United States, MO, Arnold
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
Somebody needs to come up with a pressurized system to truly atomize the oil through a jet. It's the only way I know to atomize a fluid. Then adjust the pressure for the amount of oil through the jet. The same idea used in fuel injection systems.
Jon Evans is offline Find More Posts by Jon Evans
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by ROFF
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Oct 2015
29 Posts
Love these nozzles!

Awesome smoke and nearly nothing to clean up.

Great guy to buy from.
ROFF is online now Find More Posts by ROFF
Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Team NoSleep
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,123 Posts
I am a new smoker.

What all would be involved in replacing the existing nozzle on my J&A DA 35 Pitts muffler with a Bad Dog nozzle?

My current setup does well with fully vaporizing all the smoke and leaves minimal fluid, BUT my smoke-on time is minimal even with a large tank... I am curious to try one.
Vapor Trails is online now Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 10-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Bad Dog Smokes
Joined Apr 2016
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
I am a new smoker.

What all would be involved in replacing the existing nozzle on my J&A DA 35 Pitts muffler with a Bad Dog nozzle?

My current setup does well with fully vaporizing all the smoke and leaves minimal fluid, BUT my smoke-on time is minimal even with a large tank... I am curious to try one.
Good question. Most smoke fittings inject smoke oil straight through fitting and into the muffler in a straight line in relation to the fitting. For that reason most pretapped smoke ports in mufflers are designed in locations that work for straight shooting fittings.

BDS nozzles emit a pie shaped fan wedge at roughly a 60į angle from the nozzle centerline. For that reason most pretapped smoke smoke ports are not in the ideal location to really get the oil where we want it. Ideally we want to spray across the exhaust port window at a 45į angle. This ensures that at low throttle smoke or really cranked up at WOT the oil will not be sprayed directly into the cylinder or piston face. Spraying the oil upstream gets the smoke oil in the hottest and highest velocity exhaust for the most efficient smoke generation.

Most applications will require drilling and tapping a new smoke port for BDS nozzles. Tap size is 10-32. Nozzles are designed so that fine tuning of spray adjustment are possible. Nozzles thread into the tapped hole so the direction of spray or even some depth of spray placement is possible because the nozzle can simply be threaded further into the tapped hole and turned to point in the desired spray direction & then locked into place using the included captured washer locking nut.

Tapping a thin muffler wall can be a challenge, I prefer power tapping versus hand tapping. I have uploaded some power tapping tricks on the website. https://baddogsmokes.com/muffler-tapping

Engines under 35cc per cylinder will benefit from preheating smoke oil. The result will be fluffier, whiter, longer lasting smoke. Plan about 2-3oz per minute at WOT, and if a pump curve mix is programmed to your throttle you will gain some time at reduced throttle levels. Pump curve programming procedure.
https://baddogsmokes.com/pump-programming
Old 10-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Team NoSleep
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,123 Posts
Thank you so much for the info!
I'm going to get this back on the bench and will get an order in.
Vapor Trails is online now Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Bad Dog Smokes
Joined Apr 2016
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
Thank you so much for the info!
I'm going to get this back on the bench and will get an order in.
No problem . Glad to clarify.
Another point to note:
Nozzles will begin develop a fan shaped pattern at pump pressures as low as 5psi. At very low pressures the fan is not as defined but the key is in the very small droplet size and the reduced fluid velocity which still happens at low pressures. Your smoke pump at maximum speed will generate pressures in excess of 50psi. At pressures of 60 psi nozzles will flow about 8oz per minute far more fluid than we need.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by dbishw92
United States, IL, Donovan
Joined Dec 2014
253 Posts
Did some smoking in my early years and now looking to start the bad habit back up what is the preferred smoke pumps.
dbishw92 is offline Find More Posts by dbishw92
Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Bad Dog Smokes
Joined Apr 2016
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbishw92 View Post
Did some smoking in my early years and now looking to start the bad habit back up what is the preferred smoke pumps.
Can't go wrong with a powerbox or holy smokes pump in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by dbishw92
United States, IL, Donovan
Joined Dec 2014
253 Posts
Thanks Crankcase
dbishw92 is offline Find More Posts by dbishw92
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2015
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbishw92 View Post
Powerbox hands down. Sorry didnít mean to send you a pm lol
aalfawaz is online now Find More Posts by aalfawaz

Quick Reply