logo
Old 11-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,945 Posts
Discussion
Trasmitter Suggestions

I need a new radio,would like to get one that can use my AFHSS receivers(Hitec Optima 9).I would also like it to be easy to program like the Aurora 9X,if possible.Any thoughts on this will be appreciated,just to much out there to sort out and I'm not up to date on all this.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,099 Posts
The Hitec Aurora 9X is a great radio. I can only suggest to you JR. Its not compatible with the Hitec receivers. JR Americas still has a few XG-14 transmitters new, I have two of them. JR/DFA have the new T-44 which is 11 ch and they also have a T-44 that uses the JR 28X gimbals. Also coming soon is the T-14 which is the XG-14 and it will have 28X gimbals. The new Graupner MZ-32 radio is very nice, you might read the thread and compare those three.
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=224597
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 11-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
586 Posts
Why not just keep the 9X and use it. Nothing else is going to talk to your receivers. Pick another brand that will afford more channels and use it when needed. I have a 9X, Spek, and Graupner. Love attributes about all of them and use them where those attributes are maximized.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 11-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,913 Posts
I flew the original Aurora for several years and really liked it .... nothing quite as easy to program, very versatile, etc. I moved on for more channels / additional features. As said above, nothing else will talk to your receivers except another Hitec transmitter. How about another 9X? These are still available. Other than that its pretty much bite the bullet and move on to something else as Hitec has announced they are not developing any new transmitters in the near future.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 11-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Why not just keep the 9X and use it. Nothing else is going to talk to your receivers. Pick another brand that will afford more channels and use it when needed. I have a 9X, Spek, and Graupner. Love attributes about all of them and use them where those attributes are maximized.

I had the Aurora 9 one of the first to come out.The screen went south and sent it in to Hitec.No parts for it any longer,They gave me a 9X at a bargain basement deal,I ask the service rep to go through the radio completely before he sent it out witch he did.I tried to set it up and when I go to dual rates and switch from low to high it changes servo centering,but only on the ailerons,the rudder and elevators work as they should.I could return it for a refund,or repair,but kind of just lost my trust in these radio's.

Festivus,thanks for the link very informative.
Last edited by closetguy; 11-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Swampflier
Costa Rica, San Josť Province, San Josť
Joined Feb 2007
175 Posts
Then go Graupner... (as I did)
The mz-24 (12channel) comes with three receivers for the price of thradio, easy to program, comes with case.
I am very happy

https://www.graupnerusa.com/12CH-2.4...S1006.PRO.html

$451

One 8 ch
Two 6 ch
And all the trappings
Swampflier is offline Find More Posts by Swampflier
Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampflier View Post
Then go Graupner... (as I did)
The mz-24 (12channel) comes with three receivers for the price of thradio, easy to program, comes with case.
I am very happy

https://www.graupnerusa.com/12CH-2.4...S1006.PRO.html

$451

One 8 ch
Two 6 ch
And all the trappings
Or I could hook you up with my 24. I'm just not a fan of the screen. Guess I'm too old.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...th-pro-upgrade
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 11-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Or I could hook you up with my 24. I'm just not a fan of the screen. Guess I'm too old.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...th-pro-upgrade

I'm in the same boat as you of being to old to learn all this new stuff.
But the 24 Pro does look good, and I might be able to program it.But I need no less than 9 channels and at 200.00 for a RX and for 7 planes that will take some doing.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Eric D
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2016
219 Posts
As stated earlier, AFHSS is a proprietary protocol, and Hitec dropped plans for a replacement to the Aurora.

If you wanted to keep your receivers you could
...go with a Flash 7 or 8 (but that seems like a step back from the Aurora)

...Order another Aurora https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDHVZ

Search out a AFHSS module and a JR9303 or 11X https://hitecrcd.com/products/aircra...module/product

I currently use a Graupner MZ32, (upgraded from the MZ 24 pro) . Coming over from Spektrum, it was quite a learning curve. It's do-able...just expect a lot of frustration
Eric D is offline Find More Posts by Eric D
Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
rhome , texas
Joined May 2008
483 Posts
When I decided to switch to 2.4 I looked at everything on the market at the time and after flying Futaba for thirty years I chose the aurora 9 I bought one of the first ones after being on the back order list for months , it has worked flawless and it i still fly with it exclusively
The cost of receivers also factored in when retrofitting my fleet at $200.00 a copy for the Futaba 14 channel receivers I was out on their product
I have been holding on hoping hitec would release a. 12 channel or better radio myself so I can have more channels but with our hobby being in an all time lull ,I don’t expect them looking to invest in another radio soon
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3
Old 11-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
As stated earlier, AFHSS is a proprietary protocol, and Hitec dropped plans for a replacement to the Aurora.

If you wanted to keep your receivers you could
...go with a Flash 7 or 8 (but that seems like a step back from the Aurora)

...Order another Aurora https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDHVZ

Search out a AFHSS module and a JR9303 or 11X https://hitecrcd.com/products/aircra...module/product

I currently use a Graupner MZ32, (upgraded from the MZ 24 pro) . Coming over from Spektrum, it was quite a learning curve. It's do-able...just expect a lot of frustration

Thanks for the link and the idea of using the AFHSS in a JR.I looked at the JR's but didn't like the idea of the satellite receivers.How is the programing on the JR's.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Eric D
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2016
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Thanks for the link and the idea of using the AFHSS in a JR.I looked at the JR's but didn't like the idea of the satellite receivers.How is the programing on the JR's.

If you go that route, you will be using your own Hitec receivers, not the JR satellite receivers.

Personally, I wouldn't go this route. The module's discontinued (but you can still find them around). Finding a new JR 11x or other radio that accepts the module would be tough. I'm not sure if a DFA T44 will accept the module, but the cost would be approaching $900 for the new transmitter and new module.

Sounds to me like you've been satisfied with the Aurara 9X, why don't you just stick with that while they're still in stock?
Eric D is offline Find More Posts by Eric D
Old 11-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,492 Posts
I love my 9x... I had an original A9 and loved it....sold it and bought the 9x...loved it so much I got a spare Nib 9x just in case anything happens to my primary 9x . I also have been hoping for a newer one with more channels but I hear that won't happen any time soon.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 11-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,351 Posts
I would send it back and get it fixed. after you double check that you dont have the programming screwed up to change the trim based on flight modes... all manufactures make a turd every now and then that has a problem I have had transmitters of about every brand fail at some point-- some out of the box, some 3-4 years old.. its a hobby.. every manufacturer uses hobby grade components and builds their stuff as cheap as possible..pay your money take your chances...
2walla is online now Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 11-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,945 Posts
I did check the dual rates and %,tried a different rx,made sure it was set on the Optima rx setting and tried a different switch,still the same.But after doing all this I did notice that just one elevator on no.2 channel along with the rudder and both ailerons change servo centering with every click on the three point switch.The other elevator on no. 6 channel never moved.After loosing planes with the first A9 and now this brand new 9X straight from Hitec service rep. That check it out before sending it to me, I don't trust these any longer.It may just be me but I think these radios are on their way out.Advantage Hobby and Tower have discontinued them.If you do a search you will find others have had trouble with the 9X.Like you said it's a crap shoot if you get a good one.When you do they are really great radios and the best bang for the buck if the work.If I was positive it would work after sending it back for repair I would really like to keep it.

After a couple of days researching all this I am leaning towards the Graupner MZ 24 Pro.

Quick Reply