logo

Frank Noll Heads Up JR Propo!!

Someone we know and trust has taken over an RC company that we also know and trust - JR!

Splash

Frank Noll is Back!

While at the Toledo mixer I saw RC guru and old friend Frank Noll. When I asked what he was up to I was blown away to find out he was back on the RC scene! Frank is excited to be heading JR Propo!

Frank Noll got his start in RC when he was just a kid. His father was into aeromodelling and started out building gliders and rubber band-power models. He also built wind tunnels for the Air Force. Frank got the RC bug by watching his dad build and fly growing up.

Frank enjoys giant scale competition aerobatics, jets, helis and more. When he’s not flying he is golfing. He was influenced by Don Lowe and Ivan Kristensen. They spurred him on to be the best RC pilot he could be.

Frank has been in the hobby over 50 years and has earned his living in the RC industry. I have known Frank since I first got going in RC and later worked in the RC industry as well. If you were at an event you could almost always bet that Frank was somewhere around too!

Frank is very excited to have a new RC industry job and I wanted to make sure everyone knew about. Frank is now working with JR Propo to rebuild its base and get move things into the future. When Frank gave me the good news I knew there would be a lot of pilots out there that would want to hear about it!

JT - So, JR is alive and well! Tell us about your new role with them.

FN - As many may know, JR Propo has had a confusing couple of years. I won’t go into the details or specifics about the history of the company, nor do I wish to. What has happened prior to myself joining the company is water under the bridge as they say. I’ve been tasked with rebuilding the line here in the US, and giving it a re-birth of sorts. This involves everything from re-branding the name, rebuilding the consumer base, marketing the product, having a presence at events as well as many others…

JT - What are your current plans to get the JR brand jump started again?

FN - First thing on the list was to re-brand the line, so everyone was on the same page and consumers understood that JR Propo is back in a form that everyone knows. The immediate focus was to make sure that the modeling community understands that JR Propo is very much alive and under a new solid business structure. The loyal consumer base is still there and is unsure about what was going on, so we need to make sure that they don’t feel forgotten. The company’s main objective is to ensure that there is support all the way around from being able to purchase the systems again, to our knowledgeable service center handling repairs. Everyone in the current company program is very knowledgeable, dedicated and extremely excited about what the future has in store for it. I can speak for myself on this one, as I haven’t felt this excited about the hobby or my involvement in it for quite some time.

JT - Are there any new products we should be aware of?

FN - There are already new systems in production and inventory. They range from sport/beginner systems all the way to “complex” aircraft compatible systems. There have been changes in software and appearance to the current inventory that will keep up with the current modeling needs. The plans are to continue this mindset through current as well as future product introductions.

JT - Will you be on the RC show circuit this year?

FN - Absolutely. I’m still a modeler at heart and enjoy being with our “family” that attends events and tradeshows. Being in the hobby for so long (more than I’d like to admit) I’ve become acquainted with many people, regardless of affiliations and consider them close. When you look at our sport in the big picture, we’re just a bunch of grown-up “kids” playing with toy airplanes.

JT - Will there be a new JR team?

FN - Yes, there will. We’re in the process of establishing the team structure and once that’s accomplished, we will be actively searching for a limited group of modelers who are willing to help us with our mission. We want individuals who have good character and are easy to approach and talk to.

JT - Any future JR plans that you can share?

FN - There are new systems under development as we speak, as well as new innovations that have not been introduced into our hobby. These new innovations are equally exciting as the new systems, IMO. There was no point i going through all the work to relaunch the line, if we only had the same prior equipment.

I’m sure this comes as great news to all the JR fans out there and it should come as great news to all of us in the hobby. Having Frank Noll the helm of a respected RC brand is great for all of us. When you see Frank on the RC trail be sure to congratulate him!

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 04-10-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Old 04-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,589 Posts
Congratulations Frank I wish you the very best in your new position.
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,269 Posts
Wow....sounds good to me !!!!! Congrats Frank !!!!!
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by K8XD
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Dec 2012
23 Posts
Congratulations Frank! Great to talk to you. I never lost faith that JR would be back even after that (AHEMMM) mess the other company left. No matter what happened, I was going to keep flying my 28x and they would be peeling my cold whither and dead finger from it! I'm loving the new products. You have a great management team which will only get better with time. Now, your Toledo vacation is over, get back to work. Ha
John
K8XD is offline Find More Posts by K8XD
Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
909 Posts
Congratulations! JR Propo for ever.
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by apriliamille
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
179 Posts
Yay
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Old 04-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by bruce leach
United States, NY, Haverstraw
Joined Apr 2010
104 Posts
With all of the things that have happened in the last couple of years, it's good to get some normalcy back into the hobby.
bruce leach is offline Find More Posts by bruce leach
Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by Skippykix
Retired USN
Joined Mar 2007
477 Posts
Congratulations Frank! They picked the right guy to keep JR going.
Skippykix is offline Find More Posts by Skippykix
Old 04-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by TazmanianDevil
No Guts No Glory!
Joined Jan 2006
1,710 Posts
Congratulations Sir !
So happy you’ve made the call for this outstanding radio brand.
Well done and good luck my friend.
All the best
Adi.
TazmanianDevil is offline Find More Posts by TazmanianDevil
Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by kenair
Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
8 Posts
and the #1 question which Frank did not answer

would the new JR be able to do DMS2 and DMSX so that for mer JR users do to have to orphan the JR and Specktrum receivers in their fleet.

Frank did not touch on JR service and repair - something Horizon is very good at.

just a lot of fluff in the article.

cheers - ken
kenair is offline Find More Posts by kenair
Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,641 Posts
DMSS isn't compatible with DSM2/DSMX
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Congrats Frank!
They are lucky to have you!

What is your new title? The interview does not really clarify?

Are you part of the ownership now?

Is JR Propo product development completely independent from JR DFA?
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Last edited by Vapor Trails; 04-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by rmyers719
RGM
United States, CO, Pueblo
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
If they would support a module version of the tx like the XG11MV I'd be happy. That way I could switch between the protocols.
rmyers719 is offline Find More Posts by rmyers719
Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers719 View Post
If they would support a module version of the tx like the XG11MV I'd be happy. That way I could switch between the protocols.
Not likely to happen as the DSM2/DSMX is a proprietary Spektrum format.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by Tom_E
Brea, Ca
Joined Jan 2006
16 Posts
Congrats Frank! You'll do them proud....

Tom
Tom_E is offline Find More Posts by Tom_E

Quick Reply