logo
Old 06-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
233 Posts
Discussion
AJ Aircraft Raven 73"

Anyone else excited about this 35cc version of the Raven?! Hope to have one later this fall.
http://www.aj-aircraft.com/73-Raven_p_543.html
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,752 Posts
Sweet
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Phil liebo
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
I am! I just ordered one! I’ve been wanting to try an AJ plane for awhile and finally gonna get to!
Phil liebo is offline Find More Posts by Phil liebo
Old 06-21-2019, 10:57 PM
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
Got a good start on the Raven. Itís a very nice kit. Plenty of carbon kevlar reinforcement, seems very strong and light.
Donít see a manual but just looked at the one for the laser. the parts and pieces are fitting nicely. the precut slots for the composite elevator horns did need a little enlarging.
Going to get a preliminary balance before I glue elevator joiner.
Hopefully this weekend I will get enough done to find my CG and get an idea of final weight.
Hope she flies as good as she looks!
Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by ttaylor63
United States, TX, Floresville
Joined Apr 2011
254 Posts
My green one will be here Monday.
ttaylor63 is offline Find More Posts by ttaylor63
Old 06-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
It's Tougher in Alaska
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
394 Posts
Looks Great! Love the composite reinforcement where the wing bolts go. Looks like they gave and option to put the throttle servo further back in the fuselage? I've been putting servos there when I need a little less weight in the nose. Lookin really good!
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 06-23-2019, 05:01 AM
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor63 View Post
My green one will be here Monday.
Excellent! I think the green is gonna be really cool looking. Swept wing or straight wing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post
Looks Great! Love the composite reinforcement where the wing bolts go. Looks like they gave and option to put the throttle servo further back in the fuselage? I've been putting servos there when I need a little less weight in the nose. Lookin really good!
Yes they did a great job with the composite in key areas. I thought about placing throttle servo further back but ended up making a rail on the side so I could adjust height for a straight shot to carb arm. But if you used a ny-rod you could go around or over the fuel tank. Lots of options for equipment placement and Iím looking forward to finding out where cg ends up.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil liebo View Post
Excellent! I think the green is gonna be really cool looking. Swept wing or straight wing?

Yes they did a great job with the composite in key areas. I thought about placing throttle servo further back but ended up making a rail on the side so I could adjust height for a straight shot to carb arm. But if you used a ny-rod you could go around or over the fuel tank. Lots of options for equipment placement and Iím looking forward to finding out where cg ends up.
Got the dbl tapered wing.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
I ordered the double taper but mine came with the straight leading edge. I decided just to keep them instead of trying to send back. Iím sure itíll be a 3D monster with these wings.

I got some more done on the Raven! Almost ready to find where cg is and start positioning equipment.
Last edited by Phil liebo; 06-23-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 PM
Joined Apr 2011
254 Posts
Did you epoxy the Stab to fuse or just use thin CA.???? I know when I built my AJ 71" Slick they suggested to just use thin CA. It held up over 7 yrs with thin CA holding the stab onto fuse...
What motor did you end up using also. I'm using a DLE 35RA on mine...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
I just used CA for the stab. I know it doesnít seem like a very good way to do it but I have done other planes this way and it seems to work fine. Just have to be careful of dripping glue. ( ask me how I know;-)
Iím using the DLE 35RA. I am going to try to get some balancing info tonight to see where equipment ends up before I glue the elevator joiner. Will try to get an all up weight as well.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
I just used CA for the stab. I know it doesnít seem like a very good way to do it but I have done other planes this way and it seems to work fine. Just have to be careful of dripping glue. ( ask me how I know;-)
Iím using the DLE 35RA. I am going to try to get some balancing info tonight to see where equipment ends up before I glue the elevator joiner. Will try to get an all up weight as well.
Yes when AJ was with 3DHS that's what they suggested gluing the stab on with thin CA with the covering still on stab... I built a 71" Slick Gas and used thin CA and it held up for 7 yrs now... Why u waiting to glue the elevator joiner for...Are you thinking of using dual elevator servo's
Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
Yeah. I figured if it was really nose heavy, Iíd rather have two elevator servos than have to put dead weight back there. Plus Iím terrified of something getting a little off and ending up with mis-aligned elevator halves permanently stuck together
(although I guess you could always cut the joiner out. ) but I did a little preliminary balancing and I think itís gonna be perfect with one servo in the tail. So I guess itís time to quit futzing about and get to glueing!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 PM
Joined Apr 2018
84 Posts
What motor did you end up using also. I'm using a DLE 35RA on mine...[/QUOTE]

Do you have experience with this engine? Iím hoping it will be good, I ran it experimentally in an old yak to make sure it was up to snuff and it deadsticked on me twice. I took it out and bench ran it some more, richened up the carb and it ran great on the bench so Iím thinking it just isnít broken in yet. ( Iíve only had a few tanks through it) I think I tried to lean it up too much and should let it run nice and rich for awhile till the ring seats.
Have you ran yours yet?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
What motor did you end up using also. I'm using a DLE 35RA on mine...
Do you have experience with this engine? Iím hoping it will be good, I ran it experimentally in an old yak to make sure it was up to snuff and it deadsticked on me twice. I took it out and bench ran it some more, richened up the carb and it ran great on the bench so Iím thinking it just isnít broken in yet. ( Iíve only had a few tanks through it) I think I tried to lean it up too much and should let it run nice and rich for awhile till the ring seats.
Have you ran yours yet?[/QUOTE]

Iíve had this DLE 35RA for 7 yrs now in a 71Ē Slick.. It has always ran great. I canít think of it ever quitting on me yet. Think I put a bowman ring in it also long time ago. Itís been a great engine.

Quick Reply