logo
Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by tazx100
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Discussion
DLE 35RA hard to start

I have a 3 line tank and about 2 gallons of fuel ran, out of the box the motor has been cantankerous to get started the first time, after that the motor starts up pretty good. The needles are set right as the motor really runs great transitions are good also. Fuel is getting to the carb looking through the lines. I also know of another 35 of a friend I fly with and he has to use an electric starter on the first start after that it starts fine. Ive been thinking its got to be the float setting but I havent went there yet.
tazx100 is offline Find More Posts by tazx100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Might be worth trying a different method of choking it.
Some have gone as far as soldering on one of the holes in the choke plate to help draw fuel better.
I learned from someone on here a way that seems to help, choke on, ign on, full throttle (someone holding the plane and or restraints for safety) flip till it pops, choke off, and it will run and stay running (primed fully) on the first start.
There are many other scenarios that can come into play, such as timing, not very well seated reeds, or improper tune. To me it just sounds like the motor has a hard time priming, and the method used above should fix that. But PLEASE be cautious.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Thanks for your concerns, I never start an engine without the plane secured for sure too much survival instinct. I have tried wide open and choke on but not from the very beginning trying to get it started. I will check that out. Thanks. It does take it about 3 times or so to stay running, so its not getting a full prime, I not going to mess with the needles cause the motor runs too good when its lit.
Last edited by tazx100; 06-17-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazx100 View Post
Thanks for your concerns, I never start an engine without the plane secured for sure too much survival instinct. I have tried wide open and choke on but not from the very beginning trying to get it started. I will check that out. Thanks

Not doubting you, it's like the disclaimer before giving advise ha ha. Survival instinct! I like it!
It's been working for me doing that method. Have you played with the timing at all? The factory seem to set them closer to 32 degrees, 28 seems to be easier for hand starting.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Nope havent messed with any factory settings, Im new to gas engines so im going to real slow with changes.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,064 Posts
I would second soldering the bleed hole in the choke plate.
The purpose of that bleed hole is to reduce the chance of flooding on equipment with a pull start cord and to allow the engine to start and continue to run rich with the choke on. Our hand starting situation is different from what these carbs were designed for.
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
373 Posts
turn out low speed needle 1/8 of a turn
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,064 Posts
That too will help
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by LIpilot
United States, NY, Salisbury
Joined Apr 2011
530 Posts
If the engine is difficult to start the low end is probably lean. Richen it up slightly (1/16 to 1/8 turn) and should start easier.
LIpilot is offline Find More Posts by LIpilot
Old 06-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Thanks for everyones suggestions, I did richen up the low end 1/8 and I did try full throttle, choke on and that did help. The motor runs great after its lit and I am new to gas engines, I just dont think its lean on the low end, I think im going to fly it and see what it does.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
373 Posts
If you are a bit rich on the low, absolutely nothing bad will happen, especially not with a motor that only has 2 gallons through it.
Your shoulder will thank you! lol
I swear, mine took almost 5 gal. before it started to just smoooth out on the low. Just be patient!
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 06-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
Having a fuel tank lower than the carb can allow the system to bleed off fuel from the carb overnight due to seepage from the needle not holding fuel. If you can see the fuel line near the carb you can rock the prop (bounce it off of compression) while watching the air leave and the fuel go back to the carb. You're priming a "dry" fuel system every day. This can be done by just using 2 fingers on the spinner and isn't as hard of a work out as choking and flipping attempting to start an engine with no fuel in the carb.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
639 Posts
If the problem isn’t solved by richening the low end, check and be sure the choke plate is seated correctly to make the seal. I had an EME that the choke plate was turned 90 deg and bent the plate not creating a good seal.

I also flip them through 5 - 7 times with the ignition off, choke on and full throttle. I had to do that with my DLE 35 to get a good prime. The engine doesn’t have the compression that a 50cc has and can be finicky as K match stated above regarding losing prime and getting it back to the carb.

Hope this helps, once you get the starting issues figured out you’ll love that engine. Mine took about 5 gallons as Jason mentioned and it was a gem right up until I sold the plane this year.
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540
Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
THanks again for everyones advice. Yes I do like the engine, i am hesitant to make changes as the engine runs great after you get it lit. I have read around and there are others that have the same starting issue and the engine has a weaker fuel draw from what ive read. If I do decide to make any changes I think ill get a walbro from vv. I still believe that if its tuned and running fine it should start without a lot of flipping. Its not terrible to start so thats why im just going to see what it does long term. I have a friend that has one and he has to start with a starter then its fine the rest of the day.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Are you using the DLE plug?
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie

Quick Reply