logo

We Lost a Good One - Robert Godfrey

Here is a story about Robert Godfrey from Flying Skunks...

Splash

Robert Godfrey

About 15 years ago, my Son and I made the trip to Joe Nall for the first time together. After one of the Noon Time shows my Son came back with a T-shirt and hat with the Godfrey logo on it, I asked where he got it from, he just said: " this Big guy that was Cool and he let me fly his plane ."

I had to ask Steve where Jonathan got the stuff from, and Steve told me that Robert and April gave it to him and that we had to meet them at their camp for dinner tonight. Just to help put this in perspective, my Son was only 3 years old at the time, and a good little pilot. Little did I know that this was just the start of such a great relationship, and becoming part of the Godfrey family.

Robert was able to teach my Son at the age of 6, what the Bernoulli Effect was, and why it worked. I can say that it was Truely Awesome to be able to talk airplanes, engines, cars, guns, and life in general with a man that to me was so level headed, and down to earth. Last night Robert Godfrey passed away. I Truely Miss my Friend.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 06-30-2019 at 01:05 PM..
Old 06-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,295 Posts
Crazy thing is , I was just talking to a customer Friday, and telling him that Robert would shape the leading edge of the wings by holding a 5hp Ryobi router in one hand , the wing in the other , and bam . Final sand . No guards , no fence , nothing . Robert had Massively Strong Big hands
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2019, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,820 Posts
never got to meet the man or did i ,butt i do remember those 2 planes . i think you were taking them to the YM. sorry to hear about this donnie i know you guys were close
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Last edited by rede2fly; 06-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
719 Posts
Hate to hear we lost another person in the RC world.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 06-30-2019, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,267 Posts
Wow...so sorry to hear this news.....
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by brokenprops
United States, OH, New Carlisle
Joined Jan 2014
535 Posts
Robert, you will be missed. You were fun to hang and talk to at the events. Clear blue sky’s my friend RIP
brokenprops is offline Find More Posts by brokenprops
Old 06-30-2019, 05:42 PM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rede2fly View Post
never got to meet the man or did i ,butt i do remember those 2 planes . i think you were taking them to the YM. sorry to hear about this donnie i know you guys were close

I believe you have met Robert . He came to some of the events , and that is a pic of YM here in FL . Robert built those planes for the kids to Fly at Youth Masters.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,820 Posts
i remember the closer i look its a sad day to loose someone with a good heart
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by shotgun
Mojo Aviation Flight Team
Hucking with the Stars- Zero G style
Joined Dec 2007
1,333 Posts
Sorry to hear this. He sure knew his stuff when it came to airplanes.
shotgun is offline Find More Posts by shotgun
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 PM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,295 Posts
This was a typical day for Robert , building in the shop
Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by resti
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jun 2010
371 Posts
WOWWW RIP BOB
resti is offline Find More Posts by resti
Old 07-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by helivflyer
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
840 Posts
I remember the first time that I met Bob and Pat Godfrey at the QSAA in Las Vegas promoting the Godfrey line of aircraft. Right then and there I realized what good people the Godfrey family was. a few years later while in Vegas at a hobby show looking for my first 40% IMAC aircraft I met Mark Leesberg Jr at Bennett Field promoting a new Godfrey Extra 300 that Bob and Robert designed together. Mark had given me some literature about the airplane and kit that had Roberts contact information it so when I returned home, a good friend of mine and I ordered our first ever 40%ers and they where a Godfrey!! Man I was in heaven. Come to find out, the airplane the we saw in Vegas was a prototype and the kit wouldn't be available for a couple of weeks, that he was waiting for the plans and a few other details. I remember telling Robert, "Oh that is OK Mr. Godfrey I know it will be worth the wait". Well a couple of weeks went by and with a little persuasion Robert reluctantly sent out the kits without the plans. He really didn't want to send out kits without any plans but he did and he said, "that if the part doesn't fit, it doesn't go there". Well that was true and before to long I had me the best flying RC airplane that I had ever flown. At that time Bob was diagnosed with brain cancer. So I thought that it would be a good idea to show our appreciation of the Godfrey name and aircraft and my friend and I crated up our two Godfey's , from Idaho, and sent them off to the Joe Nall where we would have the great pleasure to meet up with Robert and promote his amazing aircraft. It cost my friend and I about $350 per flight to fly our airplanes at the Joe Nall that year and so I came up with another bright idea. That was, at the next Joe Nall we will send Robert the components to equip one of his airplanes with and then have a permanent demo plane that each year at the Joe Nall we could fly and Robert would always have to promote the business. Robert showed up that year with the airplane 90% complete and we finished it in the hotel the night before the start of the Joe Nall. Well that wasn't the best showing for Godfrey I thought to myself and came up with even a better plan. That was, we would show up a week early at Robert and April Godfrey's (we being my friend and his wife, my wife and I) and finish the demo plane and have a little vacation time while in Florida. Long story short, we finished that plane the day before the Joe Nall without being able to take the girls out to the beach. But truth be told, those 5 sixteen hour days that I was able to work along Robert Godfrey in his family's shop, was more than ever expected, way better than the beach, and has changed my life for the better more than anybody will know. I will forever cherish the times with him and his family knowing that I was blessed to get to know them.
God Speed Robert Godfrey and I will be saying prayers for April and the rest of the Godfrey family.
helivflyer is offline Find More Posts by helivflyer
Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM
FFAA for Life
Joined May 2006
19,295 Posts
That's Awesome.
Always Loved talking to Mom about the Early Days
Old 07-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by GoldenEagle
Cecil, Alabama
Joined Jan 2006
118 Posts
So sad to hear but photo says it all.
GoldenEagle is offline Find More Posts by GoldenEagle
Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by dbarrym
Carlsbad CA USA
Joined Mar 2007
2 Posts
So sorry to hear this.. I had a Godfrey 40% Extra and 33% Laser (Bennet G62 powered...state of the art!) way back in my early IMAC days (mid-80's to mid 90's?). I still have a Laser in the bones tucked away somewhere. Only met him once but remember him being a very enthusiastic and helpful guy.

Barry
dbarrym is offline Find More Posts by dbarrym

Quick Reply