Old 03-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts
14MZ for Dummies

OK guys,

You asked for it and now we have it.

Rules of the game for this thread. No bashing the suppliers or the manufacturers. If you've got a beef with them take it too them front on. Use the phone fax or Email. If that dont work go rant on another thread.

What we want on here is programming tips. Your favourite secrets. Your mdl files if you want to share them. Just be very careful in explaining your setup when you post these. We are all big boys so take it easy if you down load one and try it. End points, reverse etc etc etc can all be different so go slow.

We want your questions and we bring in the industries best to help if thats what you need.

This aint rocket science boys. The radia is the shiznit as Max would say so lets go.

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by 3dubya
//////////////////////////////
Stralya - down there aye bloke
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts
Re: 14MZ for Dummies

Ill repeat my setup stated on other thread. Can answer questions on it now. Will upload .mdl file asap at work and my MZ is at home.

On the MZ I have 3 conditions set off the throttle with 1/3 and 2/3 as the
crossover points. they are called Imac idle - Imac mid and Imac full. On Imac
full for vertical snaps, my rudder over past 95% stick movement triggers my
ailerons to jump from 50% to 100% rate (100% is about 30 degrees
deflection), rudder triggers elevator to drop back from 40% to 25% (100% elevator is about 40 degrees deflection) and elevator over past 95% stick movement triggers rudder back to 50% from 100% .

Imac mid my aileron snap rates are 80% aileron and same elevator and rudder
as full. Imac mid is for strait level snaps where plane has some velocity.
Imac idle snap I have 100% on aileron, 100% rudder and 70% from 40% on
elevator. Without prop blast over tail on imac idle the plane doesn't pitch
much so I need more elevator than what I fly with for vertical down snaps.
I dont like active switches while shedule flying, all i have is an overiding 3D condition swich that has varible manual switch rates that go up to extreme throws.
3dubya is offline Find More Posts by 3dubya
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Hey kiwi before I unload that .mdl file of mine I will need to return the function menu settings back to default. The G3 on the SMART FLY futaba 9 ch expander was a pain cause the channel numbers were reversed where signal wires plug into receiver. You shouldn’t as default split aileron and aileron2 from each other and elevator and elevator2. I kept the elevator ones together with ch6 and 7 but the aileron ones I split cause I plug left aileron into ch1 and right into channel 8 cause it looks neater plugging in. In short keep function menu as default for it sends the info in packets better. When is that 14mz expander coming from smart fly I wanna put my info packets back together. Hopefully its numbered so 7 and 8 are at the top end of the board opposing sides (the signal wires end of expander) so I can keep the aileron channels together in radio but they are on opposing sides.
Last edited by 3dubya; 03-14-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Excellent. Thanks Kiwi.. I am going to enjoy this. I sure wish the MZ could have file share easier.. How can on copy anothers settings if you do not live near them?
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Neogenesis
Down Low..Too Slow..DOH!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,206 Posts

Hey guys....I'll throw this in. I'm not trying to cross the line, but add to the knowledge out there. About the crashing thing....my buddy was trying to use a aftermarket memory card....the MZ didn't like it. It would crash nearly everytime. As soon as he went back to the Futaba card, everything was hunky dory. Just FYI for ya. Some of us computer types have extra cards laying around.

Neo
Neogenesis is offline Find More Posts by Neogenesis
Old 03-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Thats a solid point, and I also know folks who have damaged their MZ by putting in a Sony Battery. I think it is Sony who makes one that"will work", but it doesnt! Cam corder packs are out!
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by RightThrust
Ocala, FL
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

If you read the manual is specifically say's to only use Futaba CF cards.

3dubya, as I was explaining to Gremlin: Using the 5014 rx the radio updates the servos in groups of 3. Meaning, you should have similar surfaces and especially ganged servos in groups of 3 starting at channel 1. The groups are 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, 11-12. This gaurantee's optimum perfrormance.

-Kelly Gerber
RightThrust is offline Find More Posts by RightThrust
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by notorious_benny
IMAC wannabe!
Griffith, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,458 Posts

OK guys, I have a real dummies question. Can the mode on the 14mz be canged over?? A guy at my club who will never ever need any more than a basic 6 channel has purchased one cuase he has too much money.

Problem is its on mode one and he flys mode 2. Now I am trying to get him too sell it too me as I am a mode 1 flyer. I see on tower hobbies they sell mode 1 and 2 separately so I might be in with chance.
notorious_benny is offline Find More Posts by notorious_benny
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by RightThrust
Ocala, FL
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

Yes, it can be changed over.

-Kelly
RightThrust is offline Find More Posts by RightThrust
Old 03-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Find More Posts by Howie
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinX
Thats a solid point, and I also know folks who have damaged their MZ by putting in a Sony Battery. I think it is Sony who makes one that"will work", but it doesnt! Cam corder packs are out!
mmmmmmmmmm... interesting. I (and several others around here) have been using a Sony camcorder pack for several months now. No problems yet.
Howie is offline Find More Posts by Howie
Old 03-15-2006, 02:52 AM
Find More Posts by notorious_benny
IMAC wannabe!
Griffith, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,458 Posts

Damn!!! I didnt want to hear that.
notorious_benny is offline Find More Posts by notorious_benny
Old 03-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogenesis
Hey guys....I'll throw this in. I'm not trying to cross the line, but add to the knowledge out there. About the crashing thing....my buddy was trying to use a aftermarket memory card....the MZ didn't like it. It would crash nearly everytime. As soon as he went back to the Futaba card, everything was hunky dory. Just FYI for ya. Some of us computer types have extra cards laying around.
Neo
The origional 32 meg memory card is formatted in the old style "FAT" format. Most memory cards you buy these days in default are formatted in "FAT32" the newer format. When I bought my scan disk 2.0 gig card I right clicked on card drive icon when pluged into PC and selected properties. There is a format option in there for FAT or FAT32. Make sure u format it in FAT to be sure of no probs. I did this and havent had a glitch. Also may not hurt to re-title the card with the same name as the origional 32meg card. The origional card that came with mine said it was a toshiba card in its title.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:34 AM
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinX
Excellent. Thanks Kiwi.. I am going to enjoy this. I sure wish the MZ could have file share easier.. How can on copy anothers settings if you do not live near them?
You just upload it as a forum attachment. You computer when you click on it will ask if you want to save file cause it won't read it as a known format,
Old 03-15-2006, 06:39 AM
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightThrust

3dubya, as I was explaining to Gremlin: Using the 5014 rx the radio updates the servos in groups of 3. Meaning, you should have similar surfaces and especially ganged servos in groups of 3 starting at channel 1. The groups are 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, 11-12. This gaurantee's optimum perfrormance.

-Kelly Gerber

Arr ok groups of three didn't know that. knew they had to be together but if you had elevator in channel 6 and elevator2 in channel 7 that wouldnt be as good as having them in 5 and 6
Old 03-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie
mmmmmmmmmm... interesting. I (and several others around here) have been using a Sony camcorder pack for several months now. No problems yet.

How much more time you get on the Sony one Howie.

Quick Reply