logo
Old 08-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by OPflying
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Feb 2018
42 Posts
Question
Value of older engines. 91 OS FS2 w/pump

I got a brand new in box .91 OS FS-2 W/pumped carb on trade for some repairs I did to a fellow club members plane. I have not used a glow engine in a long time and I don’t even have the supporting glow accessories anymore. If I sell this engine what would be a reasonable asking price?

I’m building a older Great Planes Cub kit and originally thought I’d us the engine but the other day I was helping the very same club member tune one of this glow powered planes and I remembered why I use gas.

Brian
OPflying is online now Find More Posts by OPflying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,186 Posts
It's best to check out sites like RCGroups and perhaps RCUniverse and do a search on your specific motor to see what the 'going rate' for it is (at least a range).
Here's what I came up with as a starter:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...S%20%22FS-2%22
Hinckley Bill is online now Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,808 Posts
First, the older GP Cub flies great with something like a DLE 20!

It’s tough to value used or even NIB glo engines these days. Believe it or not, with fewer companies making them these days, the value of popular used engines has actually gone up in the last couple of years. OTOH, some engines are tough to get rid of at any price. I’d suggest watching eBay and the forum market places to see what engines are selling and for how much. You should be able to value your engine from that.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 08-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2018
42 Posts
Ten 4 guys, Thanks for the help. I did research some prices but some want what I consider too much. 4-500 bucks and I would rather sell the engine a a reasonable price because I am not in the market to rip people off.

I have several DLE 20's, I think it's a bit of an overkill for the Cub (46-55 GLOW).

It is a nice engine.

Brian
Old 08-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,808 Posts
Sorry, thought it was the larger Cub.

I like watching eBay because you can see whether certain engines are selling or not and how much they actually sold for. I’ve bought and sold a number of glo engines over the last few years and am amazed what some sell for (high!). But, I have several like new OS heli engines I can’t give away for any price.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Joined Feb 2018
42 Posts
I like to make sure to spread the love and sell my items for at least what I paid for it and make a little profit so that someone that may be needing something can get it. I remember back in the day when I was lucky to be able to afford a .40 sized OS engine and now Iím flying 40 and 42% airplanes.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Sorry, thought it was the larger Cub.

I like watching eBay because you can see whether certain engines are selling or not and how much they actually sold for. Iíve bought and sold a number of glo engines over the last few years and am amazed what some sell for (high!). But, I have several like new OS heli engines I canít give away for any price.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,808 Posts
I’ve seen a few deserving people in need that loved the hobby but didn’t have much money. If I have something sitting around and they can use it, I send the item free of charge. Back in the day I was given many things so it is the least I can do to keep the trend going.

Quick Reply