logo
Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by NavyGuy757
United States, OH, Tallmadge
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Help!
Need Help with servo matching - 100cc extra (Futaba s9157)

Hello,

I recently purchased an airplane from someone they had S9157 servos, (no Y connectors) which I think are old, I tend to gravitate to the typical servos like Hitech 79xx or even maybe 54xx or MKS. Old servos turn me off but maybe they are fine? Am I just being manipulated by marketing and hearsay about branding/age of servos?

My question really is matching. my last plane I bought use a Y connector and have 7954sh in them and seem to be matched fine even when fresh binding to my tx.

the other one I bought had hitec 54xx that also binded just fine and notice no issues with matching (also not using a Y in this case)

this one the 100cc extra with s9157 used a futaba RX and the seller mentioned the matching was done in his tx rather than programming, or manually centering them etc?

I am looking for the easiest method, perhaps a powerboard with automatching so I can eliminate the need to even disconnect the servo horns/hardware?

what is considered a low current and high current when matching? I heard that is the best way to match is based on current draw as binding servos or fighting servos will draw more current?

are these servos programmable? should I just get a programmer?

I am using a DX-8 but there are 8 servos only one on the rudder? is that low? 425 oz for a 100cc? my OMP 100cc yak (uses a da85 ) only has one and seems to be enough never noticed and softness)

should I get a powerboard or powersafe rx?

advice greatly appreciated

thanks,
NavyGuy757 is offline Find More Posts by NavyGuy757
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
I can answer the programing question....no they are not programmable

I'd probably gang two 9157's on the rudder, but that's just me
Hinckley Bill is online now Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 10-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
I’ve been told XPS 24 for servo matching so I will suggest the same to you. Xtreme Power Systems.
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
I’ve been told XPS 24 for servo matching so I will suggest the same to you. Xtreme Power Systems.
I saw and even commented recently on that post about it, who uses it? who makes it? seems kinda hobby king like if you ask me? maybe it just doesn't LOOK pretty?

anyone use them in giant stuff? I heard powerbox can do matching too, idk about auto matching though. I don't think any smart flies can but I think you can match through it? i am not sure.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post

Thanks lol. Maybe I will get another, it is hard linked. and on one side at rear with me removing a few electronics from the fuse behind the wing spar I can prob put one in without needing to do much counter weighting.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=8

Here is a link to the website.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Control-System

Here is a link to the question and answer forum on RC Groups. Read through it. It will answer many questions about the unit.

Smart fly does make a servo matching unit also.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=8

Here is a link to the website.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Control-System

Here is a link to the question and answer forum on RC Groups. Read through it. It will answer many questions about the unit.

Smart fly does make a servo matching unit also.
Unfortunately i read that it does not regulate voltage output, wth? all those features and they cheap out on that? seems useless then If I have a few fromecos at 7.4 and are using said non HV servos.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
Yes you would need 6 volts packs then.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
9157s are not that old, maybe first come out 5 years ago, and very not programmable. To match the servos, you need either 1 of 3 things. 1- new Tx 10ch or greater. 2- so e type of powerboard that has servo matching capability, ie Smart Fly. 3- matchboxes.

If I wasnt so JR/Savox servo heavy, I would be using the Futaba servos.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
https://www.smart-fly.com/equalizers/equalizer-ii

This is the smart fly servo matching unit.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post

That little airframe doesnt need 2 servos on the rudder. I have flown 101" winged airframes on less servo torque than the 9157.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 10-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Yes you would need 6 volts packs then.
what about these:

https://fromeco-scale-avionics-llc.m...nt=23508213573

I have 3 laying around the ones with the 3 jr out. would I need to use a different output connector for the x24? like a powerbox that uses the weird batt connectors?

or can I plug one or all 3 of these jr outs to it at 6.6 or 6 volts? would one be enough for it all? or how many of the regulators should I use? I have 3 but 9 outputs seems excessive lol plus i doubt the x24 can handle 9 separate inputs from a regulator lol
Old 10-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
The XPS 24 has 2 main power inputs. If it was me I would have one pack per input for redundancy . Thus two packs and two regulators. You need to solder on whatever connector you are using to these inputs. Although I don’t think a JR connector is going to fit on a 16ga wire very easily. You could switch the regulator output to deans and put deans on the xps inputs. Getting a couple 6 volt packs would simplify things.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
The XPS 24 has 2 main power inputs. If it was me I would have one pack per input for redundancy . Thus two packs and two regulators. You need to solder on whatever connector you are using to these inputs. Although I don’t think a JR connector is going to fit on a 16ga wire very easily. You could switch the regulator output to deans and put deans on the xps inputs. Getting a couple 6 volt packs would simplify things.
just hate to toss out the 7.4 fromecos. seems like this would be more costly. not to mention the regulators I have wont work as deans on the tiny JR output of the regulator wont be very current capable.

oh well, such a dumb lack of a feature i think its the only power expander without one. and its not that much cheaper than the others. so idk why they didn't include a regulator. piss poor design if you ask me, looked promising at first to

It would cost more to change all the batts, so 200 plus new batts, may as well just buy a few match boxes with auto matching. be much cheaper and lighter I am sure.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
Regulators are a hotly debated topic. Modern systems can all handle 2S Lipo voltage (nominal 7.4 but more like 8.4 when right off the charger). So many people don't want a regulator because it reduces the voltage of the system, which means they do not get all the possible performance of their servos. Also, regulators are a point of failure and good ones are heavy, bulky and expensive. There has been some interest in 3S lipos regulated to 8 volts for consistent high voltage power, but most of us are happy with direct 2S Lipos feeding our servos.

The XPS is a fantastic unit. It was a design decision not to include a regulator.

Your Futaba servos were great, 10-15 years ago, but they are showing their age now. If you want to keep using them, then I'd recommend getting a pair of 2S LiFePO4 batteries to feed them 6.6 volts. With Taildragger RC no longer in business, I like these https://electrodynam.com/rc/EDNano/index.shtml

The XPS is the best way to match servos. However, if you are a Spectrum flyer then just get a power safe receivers and a pair of LiFe batteries and match the servos in the TX and mechanically.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver

Quick Reply