logo
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts
Airbrush start to finish

Here we go!
I'm going to cover how to mark out, cut, stensil, and airbrush a foamie. The tools and tricks to getting that awsome job is not as hard as you would think. You don't even have to know how to draw! So heres a taste and tuesday I'll start with a step by step so that by the weekend you can be showin it off at the field.
snap is offline Find More Posts by snap
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by bzrogers
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Jan 2006
426 Posts
Re: Airbrush start to finish

That looks great!!!

Good Job!
bzrogers is offline Find More Posts by bzrogers
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516
Smooth!
Latrobe PA
Joined Mar 2006
319 Posts

Osm what kinds of paint and how thin is too thin?
3DCrazy516 is offline Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Lowkey3D
Gone fly'in
Joined Jan 2006
756 Posts

I bought a air brush a while back but have not used it. I think my next foamy project will get
a little paint. What paint do you recommend?
Lowkey3D is offline Find More Posts by Lowkey3D
Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by macanaw
SLC, UT
Joined Mar 2006
966 Posts

Sweet timing, I just got my first airbrush and was about to start messing around on foamies with it. MORE DETAILS on paint thining etc......
macanaw is offline Find More Posts by macanaw
Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by flyboyz43
Ashmore, Illinois USA
Joined Apr 2006
548 Posts

Well I don't know what Snap uses, I have been using Createx T-shirt paint with a lot of success. It is water soluable and you don't have to thin it, just pour it out of the bottle into the airbrush and spray. You can clean out the airbrush with water. On foam after I spray a color I dry the paint with a heat gun on low setting. Works great and hope this helps. Oh you can get Createx paint at most craft stores like Hobby Lobby (not the model hobby place) or Michaels.
flyboyz43 is offline Find More Posts by flyboyz43
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by flyboyz43
Ashmore, Illinois USA
Joined Apr 2006
548 Posts

Snap....Nice work BTW!! Hey where did you get the lettering your using for your foamie. I know its a brush script font...did you cut it out yourself of get it from someplace. I'd like to try that myself.
flyboyz43 is offline Find More Posts by flyboyz43
Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

First, I use Golden paint heres the link ,http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/38b/ I will also get their airbrush medium for thinning. to thin the paint it is 1:1 ratio some cadium colors and will use a little less medium. A quick test is to dip a stir stick in the paint and lift. A drip every sec. is good. If it takes 2 sec for a drip to come off your to thick and it will clog your brush.
Stencils we'll cut, letters I'll use any thing I can find. The ones in the photo are cheap letters picked up at stapels.
Now lets get started. First you need a template of the plane. I went to Stapels and picked up a pack of 10 poster boards for 4.95$ next I layout my plane and out line the parts. Now cut , I use an exacto with a new blade please change your bade often.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

Next I'll draw my design. You can be creative or copy somthing with tracing paper. If you use tracing paper attach it to the poster board with some tape. Be sure to remove it before painting.
I'm going to do scallop flames and over lay them. First I marked were the fusalage is going to lay so I don't have to paint there. I drew my flame on one side of the wing then I cut (new blade) it out. Flip it over onto the other wing and trace the pattern. then cut (new bade) it out. your cuts donot need to follow the line perfectly stay close but cut fluid. When you get to a turn adjust your work to keep the cutting smooth. Don't rush it!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

Now that we have a nice flame stencil I'll use it to mark the fuse, and the tail. Position it how you want on the elevator
mark the flip your stencil to the other side and repeat. Now cut (NEW BLADE) Mark the fuse and cut(NEW BLADE) you get the idea. Mark your canopy and pilot and cut. Now you have a complete set of templates.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

As you can see in the pic I take a certain amout of liberty with my cutting.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

Ok so now comes the fun part! here is a basic list of things to have handy.
1 Windex ; this is your cleaner cleans yor brush and all Acrilic paints
2 Paper towels cut ito 4 pieces . A small piece used to wipe out you feed cup on the airbrush will save time and windex.
3 hobbie cups for mixing
4 stir sticks
5 T-pins (small)
6 Paint and reducer or any good airbrush paint My prefrence is Golden as listed and linked above it seams pricey but by the time you reduce it its on par with most Airbrush paints.
7 Airbrush I'll be using a single action Internal mix Iwata hobbie brush
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

Now the first thing you want to do is lay your letters. I bought these at Stapeles. My favorite is to cut them out of shelfing paper; 4.00$ a roll low tack at Walmart. Use a exacto Knife to lay the letters, and press firmly (no bubbles). Now we can position are template.
Note I allways like to start with light colors and work to the darker ones this allows less cleaning in between colors and less mixed color reactions. With this in mind I will lay the flame part of my template out first. T-pin the template to the foam to keep it from moving. Now we can spray the field. Work down the template, this will keep the brush from lifting the edge of the flame Broad even strokes 3-6inch from your work. After laying the yellow I mixed a small amout of red/orange to highlight a little. While your spraying keep a t-pin handy you can use it to push a piece of the flame down while you work.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

Lets talk a little about the airbrush. I use a single action internal mix airbrush By Iwata. It is very easy to use if you have a badger or one of the othe internal mix brushes this will apply to them as well. How much air? betwean 15-27 lb. Depends on the paint and thickness I like to hold my brush about an inch from my palm and push and pull the trigger back if it mackes a slight dent I'm good. It will look like a 1/8 inch wide 1/16 inch deep mark. In the back of the brush theres a shield unscrew the shield and you will see a nut and the needle. This can be adjusted for initial flow. Loosen the nut just enough to move the needle. Put a little cleaner in the cup, Now with the needle pushed all the way in, (aircomp. on) push straight down on the trigger. Nothing should come out. While holding the trigger down slowly pull the needle out until you see the desired amount of fluid spraying. Now tighten the nut. I will make my setting so that a 1/4 dot 1 inch from my paper will spray. Now when I add paint as soon as I push the trigger a small amount will start to flow and I can slowly pull back on the trigger adding more paint as needed with better control
This wil help with your initial control. Clean with windex often, if the paint starts to dry up while your using it stop and clean ,and add a touch of reducer to the paint .
A clean brush is a happy brush
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

Now that my first part is dry I will cover my work with the template and spray my red then add a black highlight. Next I want some layering I took my first template and positioned it, (Dont line the stensil with the current flames ) on the wing and lightly added a little red to give a ghost effect. I worked my way down with four to five layers take the other part of your stensil and from top to bottom add a little black .This is where t-pins really come in handy I used 2 to hold the pattern and one in my hand to hold the edge of my work.
Now are wing is done!