logo

FAA RID NPRM - Info, Videos, Discussion and More

Here are ways we can work together as a hobby to modify this NPRM.

Splash

The Notice of Proposed Rule Making and Remote ID - Info, Action and More

The whole NPRM about remote ID is more than a little confusing and something that all RC hobbyists should be aware of. There are extensive threads about this topic on all of our sites but I thought I would try to pull as much together as I could in this thread to increase awareness and link to informational pieces that might help us all better understand not only what is being proposed, but what our options are to take a stand against the ruling...or at least help shape it into something that is RC friendly.

While I understand the FAA feels the need to control the airspace, I can't understand why traditional RC aircraft would fall into the same category as drones that are flown miles away from the pilot. I love FPV (first-person-video) and would be understanding of some limitations on that but lumping the whole hobby into this has to come from a lack of understanding.

One question is - has the FAA set an “internal limit” for FRIA’s at 2000 clubs? The budget numbers shown reflect that. Is that negotiable? If all the current people who fly on personal property start an AMA club (and AMA is the CBO), the number of clubs could probably double, or greater. Is that an option for FAA? They have complete control to authorize locations. But if we think ahead, and start a campaign to create more flying fields and the FAA goes along it could alleviate a lot of pressure for the next couple of decades.

Dave Baron Thoughts

I want to thank you for the great work that you and your team at RC Groups is doing for our hobby!!!! Let’s get the word out to the masses, we need to seriously ramp up the letters to the FAA!

• All AMA members and drone enthusiasts need to make their voice hear to the FAA prior to the March 2nd deadline. (Many of us are sending more than one comment to this portal, when we think of a new concern we want to voice!) The bottom line is- BE VOCAL!! http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...formal-comment
  • The second most important thing to do is to contact your Congressional representatives- letters to the house and senate! Let them know your liberties are being trampled by a government agency. Be clear, accurate, and most of all refer to the FAA’s RID clearly and accurately, so that they don’t go looking in the wrong direction or reference the wrong problem! NPRM
  • Support, (GIVE $$$) to the Model Aviation PAC! This is going to fund elected officials now and upcoming who will champion our concerns. Congress holds the purse strings to the FAA, they can make a difference to the future of modeling! modelaviationpac.com
  • Call your fellow modelers, and make sure that they are sending out the emails and letter also! We may not have the money of Amazon and other corporations that want us out of the airspace, but we do have hundreds of thousands of voices that can be put to the task of fighting back!

Here are some thoughts from Aloft Hobbies recent newsletter:

Hey, why are all of the major aviation associations siding with the RC Model Hobby?

Because they know the majority of their members started right here in the hobby, and many are still very active. Maybe the FAA just doesn't understand how much education comes from these models. Maybe they don't understand that the majority of pilots and aviation professionals started off flying RC planes? Maybe they don't care about STEM programs and the promise they have for the nation?

It isn't too late to fight this! We have some strong associations fighting for us but we need you more than anything! The FAA is very focused on National Security, it is not a Line Of Sight (LOS) vs First Person View (FPV) fight, or a hobbyist vs commercial fight like some initially thought. Congress wants the FAA to be able to identify our models to assess risk of an attack.

The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) has a great track record of working with the FAA and getting big changes for the betterment of aviation. They know what works and what doesn't work, and they are suggesting:

"When you do comment (on this NPRM), please be respectful and use rational, fact-driven arguments in your own words. Form letters and emotional comments have much less impact on the regulatory process."

Spend a little time and write your own message it does not need to be a long and wordy novel, do what seems right from your point of view. That is the best thing we can do at this time. And please consider sharing information about this subject with your friends and get them to send in some comments. If the FAA does not hear from us, then they will move forward and bulldoze this wonderful hobby.

RC modelers have been happily sharing the airspace for 70 years now and we have an excellent track record. We should not be turned into outlaws.

Remote ID

Remote ID is a way for the FAA to keep track of unmanned aircraft. This info is transmitted from a UAS, the FAA, law enforcement and the public may find out information from a UAS flying near them. In the current iteration of the rule, model aircraft are considered UAV's by the FAA and treated the same as drones. The info broadcasted will include your name and phone number. In theory that info is only available to the FAA and law enforcement. Your longitude and latitude will be broadcasted to the public.

Any RC aircraft that weighs between .55lbs and 55lbs, flown recreationally full under this proposed rule. as well as all RC aircraft und 55lbs flown commercially under part 107.

What is a FRIA

If your craft does not support remote ID you are limited to flying within the boundaries of an FAA recognized area or FRIA. A FRIA is an "FAA-recognized identification area". I read this to mean community-based organizations like the AMA. So the best-case scenario for pilots like me that fly out of an AMA field is that nothing would change.

Send Your Thoughts and Concern to Congress and The FAA

The best thing you can do for your hobby is to make your feelings known on this proposed rule and how it should be changed. The comment period is still open.

A big way for us as RC hobbyists to make a difference is to reach out to your representatives and senators. If you contact them they will notice an increase in concern over the new proposed ruling. The AMA says that contact is not going unnoticed and it leads to more discussion on the rule.

March 2nd is the deadline for submitting your concerns.

Here is a great link with more information about this topic.

How to Leave a Comment

The FAA has confirmed that every comment is counted, even if it's the same as the last 1,000 submitted. Your comment will be separated into a spreadsheet based on the concerns in the comment. Your comment isn't a vote. It is a way to let the FAA know you have an issue with the new proposed rule. Good data that is focused and unique is better but not required. I took the FAA's suggested comment and altered it to reflect my feelings and you can too.

Here is a link with comment templates that you can submit.

Video to Watch and Learn More

I am model aviation (3 min 6 sec)

Episode 16 - FAA Remote ID with Tyler Dobbs (24 min 27 sec)

Bonus Episode 3 - Government Advocacy Coalition and Writing Comments (14 min 14 sec)

How to make a comment to the FAA | Remote ID (19 min 56 sec)

FAA Remote ID NPRM Response Guide (47 min 38 sec)

Episode 16 - FAA Remote ID with Tyler Dobbs (24 min 27 sec)

Discuss and Learn

We have a good amount of threads that have been going for a while on RCGroups. Please take a look for more info for our users:

Links

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 02-11-2020 at 09:48 AM..
Old 02-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by philorc
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined Aug 2012
118 Posts
What does this mean “internal limit” for FRIA’s at 2000 feet
philorc is offline Find More Posts by philorc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philorc View Post
What does this mean “internal limit” for FRIA’s at 2000 feet
I believe the authors may be looking at the approximate 2,000 foot diameter the FAA published for their "blue dot sites" and thinking the FAA may be looking at doing this for FRIAs as well.

Since the NPRM mentions that a FRIA application should have geographic limits requested as part of the application I am hopeful that the FAA is at least open to something more flexible. But that could just be my normal wide-eyed optimism at work

OR, as noted beow, it was a typo. Also plausible.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Last edited by Judge; 02-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
I wonder ifJim made a typo saying 2,000 feet. The NPRM references 2,000 club fields that they expect will be submitted for registration. That 2,000 figure is a count of potential sites.

But put that aside for now and lets not forget the #1 problem with the FRIA concept as proposed:
NO new FRIAs can be registered beyond the first 12 months of rule implementation.
So people dont be complacent and think that if you club gets their field registered you are set. Some day a land developer will build condos nearby, you get noise complaints, field is shut down. BOOM - that is the end of your club since you cant register a new replacement site.

All of the "its not as bad as it seems" and "it wont effect me because I live out in the middle of nowhere" thinking needs to stop. Get your heads out of the sand - this effects us ALL and we ALL need to fight it.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 02-04-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloft Hobbies View Post
It isn't too late to fight this!
We have some strong associations fighting for us but we need you more than anything!
within the next few years the sky will be full of little drones.
this discussion against FAA or whatever is just a waste of time.
do you remember the discussion 72 MHz vs 2.4G back in the days ?
regards
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo
Old 02-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by scooby61
No Balsa Withstands my Wrath
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Jan 2009
341 Posts
I fly giant scale mostly and the biggest issues i see with it are the no new frias after 12months and the 400ft. Flight limit per fria. 400 ft is nothing short of ridiculous.
scooby61 is offline Find More Posts by scooby61
Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
156 Posts
They talk about aircraft between .55lbs and 55 lbs having remote ID. What about RC aircraft over 55lbs? Is that another category?
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
They talk about aircraft between .55lbs and 55 lbs having remote ID. What about RC aircraft over 55lbs? Is that another category?
Those have a carve out in Section 349.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:28 PM
Joined May 2018
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Those have a carve out in Section 349.
Okay thanks. I’ll look that up.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,653 Posts
From Section 349:

Quote:
``(2) Unmanned aircraft weighing more than 55 pounds.--A
person may operate an unmanned aircraft weighing more than 55
pounds, including the weight of anything attached to or carried
by the aircraft, under subsection (a) if--

``(A) the unmanned aircraft complies with standards
and limitations developed by a community-based
organization and approved by the Administrator; and

``(B) the aircraft is operated from a fixed site as
described in paragraph (1).
I think that the RID requirements will apply to these aircraft as well once the dust settles.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Joined May 2018
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
From Section 349:

I think that the RID requirements will apply to these aircraft as well once the dust settles.
I kinda had a feeling they would. I actually expected these to have more regulation just because of the heavier weight.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by mrc100
rochester, ny
Joined Aug 2006
282 Posts
The other issue with the regulation is the definition of amateur built. Amateur built aircraft are not required to have RID as long as they are flown at a FRIA field. The problem is ARFs would not meet the FAA definition of amateur built.
mrc100 is offline Find More Posts by mrc100
Old 02-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by bnrusso
Joined Nov 2016
3 Posts
I will not comply

Our voices should all be in unison that we will not comply.
Either fight this through the courts or get the lawmakers to once again not allow the faa to interfere with the hobbyists or we will loose the hobby or all become lawbreakers.
The insurance industry rates for us to fly proves that we are not a threat.
I don't have no problem letting anyone know that I am flying via my cell where there is cell service and staying away from manned aircraft . I also have no problem registering as a RC pilot. But I will not go beyond that in registering each of my planes. I own over 200.
WE NEED LEGAL HELP or we need a better plan.
bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso
Old 02-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,549 Posts
Any of you guys who are full scale pilots or mechanics already know that by the time the FAA issues an NPRM, they've already made up their minds what they're going to do. To repeat a somewhat famous movie line "We are the Borg, resistance is futile."
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 02-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Somebody on RCG found Jim,s comment:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-1100-3969

We HAVE to do better than just copy/paste the AMA form letter. 3000+ copies of it when I clear he’d this morning. Means there are less than 6000 real unique comments and half of them are incoherent rants.

C’mon guys we have to get out the grassroots. I’m screaming to everyone who will listen in my club, on social media, I even poked the owners of some hobby companies.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin

Quick Reply