logo

RCG Trade Show - Extreme Flight - Extra NG!

Check out the newest plane from Extreme Flight RC - the 104 inch Extra NG!!

Splash

Extreme Flight is excited to announce their latest offering in the 120cc class, the Extra NG!

From Extreme Flight

Extreme Flight is excited to announce their latest offering in the 120cc class, the Extra NG. Based on the latest creation from Mr. Walter Extra, the NG is a sleek modern design with beautiful flowing lines and interesting design flourishes that set it apart from previous releases. In January 2020 Ben Fisher and Chris Hinson traveled to Otsego Michigan and spent a week with the Dussia family completing the build of 104 NG #001 to verify all of the assembly procedures. Since that time Jase and John have spent a lot of time at their private flying field putting the NG through the wringer. Jase is very excited about this new model and has stated it shares the best features of the Slick and Laser designs with incredible pitch and yaw authority and a roll rate that rivals the Slick. The NG is super stable, well mannered and downright easy in high alpha flight inspiring confidence to put it on the deck!

The Extra NG also features our new quick release wing and stab retention system allowing you to install or remove the wings and stabs from the fuselage in a matter of seconds and requires no tools. Our new carbon lock canopy latching system provides instant access to the interior of the fuselage, again with no tools required. The NG will be available in two incredible high visibility Ultracote finishes. Extreme Flight RC continues to lead the way in 35% aerobatic aircraft, pushing the envelope of performance and confidence with the Extra NG.

Extreme Flight 104" Extra NG (9 min 39 sec)

Photos

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 04-05-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Old 04-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,263 Posts
Looks good not my favorite scheme though. And I see no new latching mechanism for the canopy. It looks like 4 screws as usual
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2020, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,356 Posts
a canopy latch is clearly visible - 4 attachment screws are not, and btw, the usual is 6, not 4. I'm reminded of that every time i put mine together.

Chris, Ben, beautiful airplane and good to hear that EF is looking for ways to speed up assembly. is it possible to get a description of what substantive changes there are between this model and the V2 Extra aside from the obvious cosmetic differences? changes in airfoil, wing placement, tail moment, aspect ratio...things that make a real difference in how it flies. thank you.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 04-05-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by JaseTheAce
Fly hard, land soft ;)
Joined Aug 2011
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalfawaz View Post
Looks good not my favorite scheme though. And I see no new latching mechanism for the canopy. It looks like 4 screws as usual
One thing to keep in mind is that this exact model is the prototype. Some things seen may be slightly upgraded for production including the canopy latches.
JaseTheAce is offline Find More Posts by JaseTheAce
Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseTheAce View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that this exact model is the prototype. Some things seen may be slightly upgraded for production including the canopy latches.
Makes sense then
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 04-05-2020, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Chris, Ben, beautiful airplane and good to hear that EF is looking for ways to speed up assembly. is it possible to get a description of what substantive changes there are between this model and the V2 Extra aside from the obvious cosmetic differences? changes in airfoil, wing placement, tail moment, aspect ratio...things that make a real difference in how it flies. thank you.
When I came onboard about 5 years ago, the Extreme Flight extra 300ís were already well established and highly developed, and Chris was well under way with the Laser line. I got to invest effort in the Slicks, and eventually all 3 lines were successful. They all are broadly similar in focus, but as now is well established, the slick is slightly the best rotator, the extra is known for smoothness, and the laser is the all-rounder. Jase ended up using the Laser a lot last season as his competition choice for this reason, and he won.

So, for the NG project, the brief was to push in the obvious direction - make an all-rounder which would give up nothing to the slick for rotation and draw lines as well as the extra. Being a long, extra shape, the NG is a good choice for lines, it has good side area, which is distributed well in the full-scale design, so we could keep the look of the full-size.

At this level of performance, the differences between these aircraft for freestyle flying are far, far beyond my piloting ability to discern. Luckily Iím not the test pilot. In China, Chris flies and I take notes, and in the US, Jase flies and I take notes.

For more average pilots like myself, the important points about the NG is that itís very light, which gives outstanding vertical on a 120, and it will do just fine on a 100. One of the motors Jase has flown it on for testing was worn out and tired, and it flew very nicely on that. Now a fresh motor is in #001. Also, itís easy and stable in harrier upright and inverted, very low coupling as people have come to expect, etc.

For pilots at the competition level, I think they will find it an excellent freestyle aircraft which they will recognize as melding the good points of the slick with the good points of the laser and extra and giving nothing away in the process. One thing it does very well is carve rolling lines with excellent tracking and good rudder authority. Jaseís feedback on this confirmed than the decisions we made in interpreting the NG fuse/rudder as a 35% EXP were correct. It was in China last year during down time between Gamebird test sessions that we drew it, with Chris pointing and me sketching. We had the CAD for the Laser, Slick, and Extra up and we overlaid the outlines and went over notes from Jase. We appear to have got it pretty right, Iím happy.

As for the other details, like balance areas and airfoils and stab positions...weíre into very fine details now. Things donít move very much when the previous design was a winner, itís just fine tuning.

Also, I havenít seen the second scheme posted in this thread yet, so Iíll attach it.
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 04-05-2020, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Geno
Lets play a game of WATCH THIS
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Dec 2008
2,933 Posts
Sharp looking airframe!! Love the schemes!
Geno is online now Find More Posts by Geno
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by StaggerBeech450
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2007
164 Posts
Congratulations to all involved with this project!!
Looks to be an outstanding model!
StaggerBeech450 is offline Find More Posts by StaggerBeech450
Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,503 Posts
Looks awesome! Congrats! I will for sure have to add this one to the list. Having both own the Slick and Laser I would love to have something in between the two.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 04-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Rush7
Huckin somewhere under the sun
Chattanooga, TN
Joined Mar 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalfawaz View Post
"Our new carbon lock canopy latching system provides instant access to the interior of the fuselage, again with no tools required."

That is what was quoted in the post. I bet the production version will be set up that way. I hope that there are always a couple of hold down screws optional for the canopy. I love the quick release latches but I have left them not fully engaged before and lost a canopy that way. The extra bolts just give some added security.
Rush7 is online now Find More Posts by Rush7
Old 04-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by velocity
Joined Dec 2011
482 Posts
Jase how do you compare it to the 104' V2 extra 300?
velocity is offline Find More Posts by velocity
Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by bluefear
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2013
266 Posts
i'm sure it flies very well...

i've owned EF and Skywing and i don't want to spoil the thread but the build quality of the SW's has been much better......just more value for the buck in every way and they fly awesome too...

i hope this model turns it around....i'll continue to buy both brands
bluefear is online now Find More Posts by bluefear
Old 04-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by acrorc_com
SPAIN
Joined Oct 2009
88 Posts
P47 CYMM

Congrats Jase !
Awesome plane! Impatient for see in europe!
acrorc_com is offline Find More Posts by acrorc_com
Last edited by acrorc_com; 04-06-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by Papatrey
United States, GA, Fayetteville
Joined Jan 2016
286 Posts
Etiquette in the South is to say something nice, followed by "bless their heart", then anything is fair game. If written, we end it with a smilely face.

Sometimes, is more appropriate though, eh?

I'm going with the blue one when they arrive.
Papatrey is offline Find More Posts by Papatrey
Last edited by Papatrey; 04-06-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Geaux Lower!
United States, IN, Avon
Joined Oct 2010
823 Posts
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Last edited by cherrybomb48; 04-06-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply