logo
Old 10-20-2020, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Build Log
Aeroworks 33% Edge 540T ARF - Refurbish

Well, here I go again. Came across another one which I canít help but refurb. I believe this one has a lot of potential. Topical plans - going to run a twin engine. Build in a canister tunnel and run cans. Blanking out the canopy - probably silver as that is my favorite. There are some concerns about the wing integrity, so I will be investigating that. First pics are of how I received it. Here we go!
Motomazzo is offline Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Last edited by Motomazzo; 10-23-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-20-2020, 06:46 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Got the fuse and hatch stripped. The cowling is a mess. Will either try a replacement or repair this one.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:26 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
These wings are beautiful. Hard to believe some had issues with them.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,343 Posts
OMG Jason. Resist!!!!!
carrid02 is offline Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 10-20-2020, 03:01 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
LOL!! Dammit. I thought this was a safe place to hide.....

Itís okay because I admit I have a problem. I just had to get it cleaned up a bit. I hate seeing a basket case airplane sit there all basket-casey. Iím not even working on it......that much. Okay, maybe just a little today.....

How to get rid of that pesky left-behind color....

Hereís how I do it - tape it up. Apply some heat with a covering gun and pull gently.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,343 Posts
You can’t hide here brotha!!!!! Lol. Nice trick on removing the old color!

-Craig
carrid02 is offline Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,159 Posts
There you are. You did say you were going to start a build thread. It sure didn't take you long either... haha...

You might put a link to this thread in your other thread. Just a thought there. There's some guys with first hand experience with this plane that I'm sure will be wanting to see another one get done.

I must say your quite fast too. You had that covering off in no time from just a few days ago.

You mentioned pics of my firewall and such, and I'm wondering if I should just post them up here. My firewall was virgin, not drilled until I drilled it. What was done on mine was the engine box had been glued in already, and was too far back for my engine, so I fabricated my own stand-off ring to mount my engine.

But I have a few pics of my firewall somewhat before/during my drilling and cutting for fuel line holes/wiring. As well as how I've mapped out the components. Pretty straight forward old school style.

Not alot in there really, but it might give you some ideas. I took alot of it from the manuals, as well as I pulled a few dozen or more pics of this plane from the web over the last few years and gleaned several ideas as well. I grabbed every pic I could find, and surprisingly there's not nearly as many as I'd thought there'd be.

I've dated my plane back to 2002-2003, which really was before we were all mainstream with cameras on our phones. This plane was popular right at that time period, and the design reflects that.

I've been wanting to go back into my RCM magazine archives and see where I can find the ads for it. I know they're in them. These things apparently sold for about $1000 back then.
I've always thought they were ahead of their time. I also think their a very worthy project, and will look forward to what you come up with.

I will continue with mine as time and health allows. I have just a few little physical issues I'm dealing with, but I'm plugging along and am getting that fixed here soon too. The hobby does keep me going very well though.

So... carry on... lets see what's next.

PS... yes, great technique on covering removal!... and the wings/fuse look good!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 10-22-2020, 10:22 PM
Just havin' fun!
Joined Apr 2006
1,159 Posts
Also, I can measure my landing gear if you need... which was another thing mentioned in your other thread... so yeah... just post up anything where I might be able to help.

I'm debating as well about the possible wing issues we chatted about... no conclusions, but will investigate well before I fly this thing. It's very interesting indeed.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:46 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
All good stuff DGrant. Thank you. No worries on the firewall pics. I just need to remove a bunch of excess stuff the PO attached as a first step. I also need to get my engine, headers, and cans to really move forward with that part. I am working with Zach at Extreme Flight to see if the cowling from the 3DHobby 106Ē Edge will work. If it will, Iím going to purchase one of those. I know Iím going to catch hell for this, but Iíve decided on a DLA 116 boxer and their header/can setup. Iíve been chatting with Lee Schantz quite a bit and thatís the direction Iím going. The DLA 112 in my AW Yak 55 is just awesome and predates some important manufacturing and material changes they made. Weíll see.....

Iíve got my eye out for a carbon gear replacement and might just order one straight from Graph Tech. Not sure yet.

Iíve got a few projects in the pipe and working on all of them so progress may be slow. But it should be a good one. I love refurbishes.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:48 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Last edited by Motomazzo; 10-27-2020 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
Hello Dale,

Would you mind measuring your gear width at the fuselage on the Aeroworks 540 ARF when you have a minute? I’m getting some weird measurements between the actual fuse width, the gear which was on my plane (don’t think it was stock) and what Graph-Tech offers.

My fuse is exactly 8” across at the gear mount location. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2020, 01:10 PM
Just havin' fun!
Joined Apr 2006
1,159 Posts
No problem Jason, pics will be forthcoming later today.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:11 AM
Just havin' fun!
Joined Apr 2006
1,159 Posts
Here you go... first pic is the lower gear span which looks to be right at 23" outer edge to outer edge.

Second pic is upper gear/fuselage. Fuselage is 8". The gear is just a squeak bigger than the fuselage.. barely. Maybe 1/8" give or take... very close though.

Third pic is vertical height. Subtract 1.25" from that reading (to compensate for wheels) and that's the overall measurement from base of gear leg to top of gear plate. So that measurement will be 7.875".

Sorry about pic quality, just snapped them really quick. I hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:23 AM
Just havin' fun!
Joined Apr 2006
1,159 Posts
The gear does have some taper, so here's a few shots of that... just for reference...

The plane will probably lend itself well to slight variances within reason of the above measurements, but at least you probably now have a ballpark to shoot for and a reference to what's original to the plane.

(PS... I really need to polish this gear... haha.. it could look heckuva lot better couldn't it.) 😎
Old 10-28-2020, 04:43 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
1,038 Posts
That’s perfect. Thank you for taking the time to do that. The gear that came with my plane is not even close. Didn’t think it was. What I find odd is that the gear on Graph Tech’s website is off as well. They do make a comment that all the dims can be changed so maybe I need to talk to them about that.

The first part of this refurbish will be slow as I gather up parts, etc. I would like to get the gear coming. Next, I really need to get my engine, headers, and cans coming. At the moment, I need an engine for this plane, a DA-170 and pipes for my Sukhoi, and a GP-76 for another plane. I’ll be eating Ramen noodles for the holidays!

Thank you!
Last edited by Motomazzo; 10-28-2020 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply