logo
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by jkepps
United States, MD, Greenbelt
Joined Mar 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
Can standard/digital servos mix be used with R7014SB ?

Hello all. I'm setting up my plane, and all of the control surfaces have digital servos. I'd like to use a standard non-digital servo for the throttle. After reading several posts about servo jitter, it has me wondering if using a standard servo is OK.
The 7014 is in FASSTest mode, and linked to my 14SG in FASSTest-14CH Single mode.
Am I OK with a standard servo on the throttle, or do I need to use a digital servo?

TIA!
-Jorden
jkepps is offline Find More Posts by jkepps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-28-2020, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
You can use what every you like, There is no issues, Just make sure that there all rated to the battery voltage you wish to use. But there is a catch to using an Analog Servo with that RX, See attached.

Digitals will give you more repeatable centering and precision on the the throttle, But all depends what your flying and what your after.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Last edited by The Hodge; 10-28-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by jkepps
United States, MD, Greenbelt
Joined Mar 2009
7 Posts
Hmmm, so that says don't use analog with FASSTest-12CH mode, but I'm using FASSTest-14CH mode. My 14SG doesn't seem to have a FASSTest-12CH mode. Oh well, I'll error on the side of caution and use a digital servo.

Thanks for posting that! I completely missed it while looking at the manual for the 7014SB.

EDIT: To answer your question, flying style is "sportsman with aspirations of IMAC". LOL
jkepps is offline Find More Posts by jkepps
Last edited by jkepps; 10-29-2020 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Add additional info
Old 10-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
The 12-Channel FASSTest is a high speed mode that does nothing for an airplane. It requires digital servos, as do any of the high speed modes in Futaba receivers or transmitters. Leave it in 14-channel FASSTest and you servo mix will be fine.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-29-2020, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkepps View Post
Hello all. I'm setting up my plane, and all of the control surfaces have digital servos. I'd like to use a standard non-digital servo for the throttle. After reading several posts about servo jitter, it has me wondering if using a standard servo is OK.
The 7014 is in FASSTest mode, and linked to my 14SG in FASSTest-14CH Single mode.
Am I OK with a standard servo on the throttle, or do I need to use a digital servo?

TIA!
-Jorden
I use a $40 Hitec D-645 on the throttle. It has a 32 bit encoder for super fine steps, a 25T (aka Futaba) spline and uses an M3 center screw. Use it at any voltage you wish (4.8 - 8.4V), including straight 2S lipo (8.4V).
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Last edited by ghoffman; 10-29-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
It should be noted the modern 2.4GHz receivers have a lower servo pulse voltage than most of the older analog receivers. Its just the nature of the internal electronics that cause this. Most modern analog and of course all digital servos are designed for and tolerate this lower pulse voltage as long as the receiver is operating in low speed mode.

There are still some older analog and digital servos out there that simply won't work with this lower pulse voltage. If you run into this problem its probably time to retire these old servos and not blame your new radio. Some of the old Hitec digitals suffered from this problem and their service center had a fix but I doubt they would want to mess with the mod these days as that was years ago when the problem was noted. By the way when I refer to old, I'm talking over 10 years and in some cases closer to 20 but there are lots of these old servos out there that people insist on using then they blame their new radio when they don't work as expected.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-30-2020, 04:59 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkepps View Post
Hmmm, so that says don't use analog with FASSTest-12CH mode, but I'm using FASSTest-14CH mode. My 14SG doesn't seem to have a FASSTest-12CH mode. Oh well, I'll error on the side of caution and use a digital servo.

Thanks for posting that! I completely missed it while looking at the manual for the 7014SB.

EDIT: To answer your question, flying style is "sportsman with aspirations of IMAC". LOL
All Good Glade to help.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge

Quick Reply