Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
FASST, HEAT, I give up, Suggestions?

OK,
If you followed the closed thread you know the issues at hand and the various rants that myself and others went on. So today I wanted to reinvent the wheel and give FASST another try. I have an older PA Edge that has been a test mule for everything from batteries to regulators etc... So I installed a 617 that I had not returned to the LHS (I had 1 608 and 3 617's and 2 607's) on the fuselage floor. The canopy has a balsa floor and no sunlight enters the aircraft. Everything checked good range check etc... Went to taxi and nothing, luckily a friend was still standing in front of the stabs, I did not want to turn anything off so I stupidly removed the canopy with engine running and low and behold the red light of death. The temp gun (I know not very accurate) had the receiver at 137 degrees. It was 102 degrees out. Packed up and went home. Any ideas? 137 degrees is not enough of a margin of safety for flying when it is over 100 out. I am gaining 35 degrees from mainly the sun on china coat and the heat from the pavement. I am sure this airplane will be fine in the air but how do I even get it to the runway let alone worry about getting it back to the pits safely? I guess I am back to giving up for now... I really liked using the FASST stuff a few weeks ago.

Please people don't A$$ this thread up with brand wars. Let's stick to theories and solutions to work around this.
Dave
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Last edited by 03fomoco; 05-21-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
KIM
Find More Posts by KIM
KIM
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Dec 2007
540 Posts
Re: FASST, HEAT, I give up, Suggestions?

how about a thermal insulator arund the unit worth a try im holding off on flying with fasst till this is worked out,ill just leave it in the box and fly my 9303 2.4 for now
KIM is offline Find More Posts by KIM
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM
KIM
Find More Posts by KIM
KIM
Joined Dec 2007
540 Posts

in the warm weather this can become a problem so a thermal sock,low voltage fan cool can
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,937 Posts

My GP38% at 95 degrees ambient was only 105 to 110 internally... (Not Rx temp, but airframe internal temp after heat soaking on Petromat surface in direct sunlight).
After a flight, the internal temp = ambient temp.. very little flow of air thru fuse...
I don't have a solution to suggest that is easy...
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by bgold
United States, AZ, Sun City
Joined Apr 2007
1,242 Posts

I have been checking the temps during all the associated procedures and the thing that heats the interior of my plane more than anything is having the hatch off and being exposed to direct sunlight. We've had temperatures in the 90's and hit a 100 here in the last several days. With the hatch off the receiver will heat up 25 to 30f above ambient. I've been throwing a white towel over the canopy/hatch area when not flying. After serveral hours the temp inside is about 10F above ambient. When I pull the hatch and its exposed again it heats right up. Try protecting the receiver from direct light when assembling the plane and then when it sets arround. My Fasst is working perfectly but it does seem that the hottest I get it is when putting the plane together and the start of flying.
bgold is offline Find More Posts by bgold
Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Cheaper than Botox
San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
786 Posts

I guess this is the first I have heard of the FAAST system not digging the heat.
I am planning on flying my arse off this weekend, and temps right NOW are 109.6F as measured at the park across the street from my house...http://www.wunderground.com/US/AZ/Sun_City_West.html

Should I be worried? Is there a Futaba statement out there concerning this?
MetHerInBaghdad is offline Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Recovering Shankboner
Tucson AZ
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER69 View Post
I guess this is the first I have heard of the FAAST system not digging the heat.
I am planning on flying my arse off this weekend, and temps right NOW are 109.6F as measured at the park across the street from my house...http://www.wunderground.com/US/AZ/Sun_City_West.html

Should I be worried? Is there a Futaba statement out there concerning this?

Please see the below post for the info you requested, it will have to be a personal choice at this point and no there is no official guidance and please don't ask why in this thread or we will loose the thread and the intent of it.

Link: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...tml#post442104
03fomoco is offline Find More Posts by 03fomoco
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,478 Posts

Tell you what, you guys are a tougher bunch than I am. I grew up in Scottsdale and went to college in Tucson. We never flew in the blazing heat of the day. In the summer we were in the air by 5:30 and headed home by 8:30, just as it topped 100!!

It's odd that people seem to be having issues this year. the 6EX was out last year and there were no heat reports, yet now we hear about them even with the 6 channel RXs. Wish I knew what to say. Stay home? Fly earlier? Mad Dogs and Englishmen?? Noon day sun??

I am hoping that Futaba gets something figured out so they can at least address the issue. The time it is taking tells me that this is not an easy nut to crack and they are having issues either getting it to happen so they can troubleshoot it or they are having other issues.

Heat always worried me, even with regular radios. Seems the 2.4 stuff may be more sensitive. It still is odd that many others report no issues, so there has to be something different. Like I said, clearly not a straightforward problem for them to work out.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Tell you what, you guys are a tougher bunch than I am. I grew up in Scottsdale and went to college in Tucson. We never flew in the blazing heat of the day. In the summer we were in the air by 5:30 and headed home by 8:30, just as it topped 100!!
You make it sound like no one does anything in Arizona when it reaches 100. Might as well close all the golf courses, stop playing baseball and just go to the pool. People in Arizona don't stop going outside at 100. Maybe 110 - 115 but 100 is routine there and actually quite bearable. I'm sure Futaba will come up with a solution but please don't act like people should quit flying because it's hot.
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
KIM
Find More Posts by KIM
KIM
Joined Dec 2007
540 Posts

new chip sets from futaba GREAT IDEA
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey
Arkansas
Joined May 2006
4,299 Posts

This info might be on other threads I dont know but this is what i was told. Futaba is working on this and for right now a suggestion would be to turn the rx upside down in the fuse. the chip that has the problem is located almost on the bottom of the rx case and if the rx is upside down then more air can cross over the plastic that is closest to it. I fit a futaba fast rx in my 260 and love it. I live in arkansas so the heat issue has not gave me any trouble yet. I did talk to yuri and several futaba guys at the nall and they all offered suggestions to what can help. it all is also affected in the type of plane you have also. if it is all composite it will heat up faster and if it had a foam turtle deck and other foam parts then it insulates it a little better. I am very curious what will happen in july and aug this year. I am a huge futaba fan and have faith in that futaba will offer a fix or a solution to the issue. I have also heard the the chips that seem to be causing the issues are in other brands out there but who knows. I think there are great radios out on the market today and I have flown futaba stuff for 14 years and think they offer great products. I am no saying jr or hitech or etc etc etc radio is bad just not what i have grown custom too.
Josh Price is offline Find More Posts by Josh Price
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by fastford
STL. MO
Joined Jan 2006
423 Posts

Ok here is a prety simple fix takes 1 hour and $20.. not to much considering what a wadded up 40% costs. The reciver splits in to half very easy, 4 tab locks comes apart VERY easy. You take the bottom half and cut a 1" hole and mount a NOVAK speed controll fan on it and wala your done. I did this to all of my airplanes with 6014 recievers. The key is the bottom of the reviever is were the concentration of heat comes from due to the fact that the chips are on bottom. Mount the reciever on the side not bottom. The fan plugs right into an open channel on your reciever. This will FIX the problem for the mean time. It has worked on a few team guys planes. I know it seems like its a lot of work but it is only 1 hour work of work to insure your aircrafts saftey. You will be surprised in the difference this makes... At least mount your reciever on its side NOT the bottom on foam that is the worst thing you could do, it just keeps heat inside and insulates it from gettting out.

Thanks
Jason
fastford is offline Find More Posts by fastford
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by Altavillan
Uber Contributor
Altaville, California
Joined Apr 2007
627 Posts

Do like I do. Wad up all the extra wiring over the rx for a sun block.
Altavillan is offline Find More Posts by Altavillan
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by MeanGene
Gettin' Lower!
Imperial, CA
Joined Dec 2006
89 Posts

fastford do you have a picture of the fix that we can see.
MeanGene is offline Find More Posts by MeanGene
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastford View Post
Ok here is a prety simple fix takes 1 hour and $20.. not to much considering what a wadded up 40% costs. The reciver splits in to half very easy, 4 tab locks comes apart VERY easy. You take the bottom half and cut a 1" hole and mount a NOVAK speed controll fan on it and wala your done. I did this to all of my airplanes with 6014 recievers. The key is the bottom of the reviever is were the concentration of heat comes from due to the fact that the chips are on bottom. Mount the reciever on the side not bottom. The fan plugs right into an open channel on your reciever. This will FIX the problem for the mean time. It has worked on a few team guys planes. I know it seems like its a lot of work but it is only 1 hour work of work to insure your aircrafts saftey. You will be surprised in the difference this makes... At least mount your reciever on its side NOT the bottom on foam that is the worst thing you could do, it just keeps heat inside and insulates it from gettting out.

Thanks
Jason
Pictures would be awesome.
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD

Quick Reply